Fox buying station in "Seattle"

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
The reason I put the quotes around Seattle is because its not in Seattle proper but in Bellingham (which is 90 miles away but is still the Seattle market. Obviously there will be more to it

Fox, after telling Tribune last month that it was taking away the network affiliation from Tribune’s KCPQ Seattle, has moved to fill the gap by buying its own station in the market.

Venture Technologies Group, owner of KBCB Bellingham, Wash., is selling the station in suburban Seattle to Fox Television Stations for $10 million, according to an application filed at the FCC. KBCB now carries ShopHQ and Estrella TV programming.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/79826/fox-buying-station-in-seattle

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Minor correction to the article: Estrella has been gone for about a year (+/-).

Maybe Fox actually wants a bad OTA signal in Seattle? Retransmission fees are a big part of the business model.

I tend to agree with you here-- there's probably more to the story. Could it be a 10 million dollar chess move?

There buying / swapping markets with NFC Football teams for the local ads/revenue. That's what happened in Boston. FTS and COX swapped it for a station in San Fransisco, home of the NFC team 49'ers. Boston is home to the AFC Patriots which are 98% on CBS. Now they want Seattle, pull the affiliation from KCPQ, buy another one in town and put the FOX Network on it. FTS owns it and gets the revenue from the Seahawk (NFL) games. I can imagine ratings for the Seahawks games are quite nice, especially coming off a Superbowl win last year and another good team this year. NFL games in markets with a good teams bring in ratings and high advertising rates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)