FOX Local HD: Crappy cameras???

bitwise

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Michigan
Anyone else watch the All Star game on Fox in HD? I'm in detroit, and the HD cameras looked anything but HD. In fact, I would swear they just took a regular SD camera, changed the aspect to 16:9, then just upconverted.

I was wondering if everyone else saw the same thing (meaning it was the Fox cameras), or if it was Fox 2 Detroit (somehow in their feed conversion).

PS - I notice the same thing on other Fox Sports HD Programming...

/joe

1) Was it actually filmed in HD and not 480p?
2) Is Detroit actually broadcasting HD yet?
3) If 1 & 2 = True Then Engineer Forgot To Throw Switch.

I won't get FAUX HD for a few months yet. Check AVSForum HDTV Programming Forum, they have the scoop on everything HD.

It was not HD in Detroit,the station is broadcasting 720P but all upconverted,it was HD in Houston and somewhere else I forgot.

bitwise,

FOX does not officially launch HD until September. Until then, all content is 480i or 480p upconverted to 720p.

HDTV cameras were used for the All-Star game, but it was only passed in 480i/480p to most affiliates. There were a few affiliates that received a high-definition signal as an unofficial test, but I don't believe Detroit was one of them.

Well, if Fox does the upcoming NFL in 480i and upconverts it then sends it out on a 1080 HD signal it can call it Hd just like TNT. Just as CBS called its golf coverage Hd with 1 HD camera and 20 Sd cameras......will be interesting.

Tvlman said:
Well, if Fox does the upcoming NFL in 480i and upconverts it then sends it out on a 1080 HD signal it can call it Hd just like TNT. Just as CBS called its golf coverage Hd with 1 HD camera and 20 Sd cameras......will be interesting.
The only reason the All-Star game wasn't HD nationwide is because their system isn't fully operational yet (not capable of transmitting the HD signal nationwide to all affiliates). They were hoping to have it ready for the All-Star game but it just didn't happen. Check out the AVS forum for more specifics but rest assured they are going to be ready for 720p HD by the start of the NFL season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)