HD Local Law Status

Jamey K

Recovering Voomer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2005
West Texas
Any know exactly the bill E* introduce to allow satillite providers to sell Network HD to locals where they stations are years away from going HiDef?

If the government wants to encourage digitals and HD, they are going to have to put pressure on the locals to go HD. That bill would have encouraged HD and put pressure on the locals to upgrade their digital analog to HD compatability.

gutter said:
If the government wants to encourage digitals and HD, they are going to have to put pressure on the locals to go HD. That bill would have encouraged HD and put pressure on the locals to upgrade their digital analog to HD compatability.
I don't know were you're located but in Central Ohio all locals are now supplying "HD" when In "HD", but you'll be a old person berfor " E " or "D" will uplink locals in "HD". so for the next 3-8 yr's you'll have to live with " OTA ",so Voom must have had it right from the Start, " Free "OTA Ant", " ask D or E if they'll give you a Free " OTA ant " for their "HD" Box. ?

kelljc said:
I don't know were you're located but in Central Ohio all locals are now supplying "HD" when In "HD", but you'll be a old person berfor " E " or "D" will uplink locals in "HD". so for the next 3-8 yr's you'll have to live with " OTA ",so Voom must have had it right from the Start, " Free "OTA Ant", " ask D or E if they'll give you a Free " OTA ant " for their "HD" Box. ?

"live with OTA", that's easy for you to say, sucks for us that can't receive even ONE channel OTA such as myself. Looks like I will have cable for locals for 3-8 years :(

P.S. If D* isn't uplinking locals in HD for 3-8 years then how are they going to back up their "1500" HD channels by the end of the year thing?

ROLLZROYCE said:
"live with OTA", that's easy for you to say, sucks for us that can't receive even ONE channel OTA such as myself. Looks like I will have cable for locals for 3-8 years :(

P.S. If D* isn't uplinking locals in HD for 3-8 years then how are they going to back up their "1500" HD channels by the end of the year thing?

I don't know if that's what "D" stated I thought they stated in the next 3 yr's,
if you're correct then great for you. but I don't think so. Let's see 3 Sat's @ 36tps per, == 108 Hd bandwidth, = 324 seem's short to me but I don't know.

ps. Has D or E added Universal HD or EncoreHd as of this date?. and what
new channels have they added in the past 4 years.

kelljc said:
I don't know if that's what "D" stated I thought they stated in the next 3 yr's,
if you're correct then great for you. but I don't think so. Let's see 3 Sat's @ 36tps per, == 108 Hd bandwidth, = 324 seem's short to me but I don't know.

I believe that you are using current satellites up and MPEG2 for your math. You must add in the Spaceway satellites going up in the next three months and recalculate for MPEG4 being used. This will increase the number of channels by a factor of 2.5 to 3 per MPEG2. I don't really know the correct numbers but D* will definately have plenty of room. As for HD LIL D* has already announced the top 12 markets up by summer. After the FCC gives approval to E* for their purchase of Rainbow 1 they will have simular capacity. This fall will be exciting for alot of us HD viewers! :)

JoeSp said:
I believe that you are using current satellites up and MPEG2 for your math. You must add in the Spaceway satellites going up in the next three months and recalculate for MPEG4 being used. This will increase the number of channels by a factor of 2.5 to 3 per MPEG2. I don't really know the correct numbers but D* will definately have plenty of room. As for HD LIL D* has already announced the top 12 markets up by summer. After the FCC gives approval to E* for their purchase of Rainbow 1 they will have simular capacity. This fall will be exciting for alot of us HD viewers! :)

No comment, just Read and "LOL" Top Twelve and E with simular capacity, from one Satellite purchase, ???. :also I read somewhere on this site you only gain a 20 or 30 % more space with MPEG4 not triple. oh well " LOL "

This was posted on another HD forum I hang out on:

"The most concerning part of that plan for most of us is that the first bird is due to carry ONLY Local HD channels. According to their releases, they plan no more national HD channels until 2007! There is NO WAY that can be accurate. If it is, people will be flipping by then.

Also, all our hopes for increased picture quality given these satellites just went out the window. It appears as if all the extra bandwidth they have is going to, again, more channels.

If a service came along that provide the key channels I'm interested in and did so with a minimum of compression, I'd drop DirecTV in a heartbeat and move there. I am so tired of seeing CNN anchors look great when they don't move and then becoming fuzzy when they so much as twitch. It's quite annoying when you become aware of it. Hopefully MPEG-4 will address some of this but I have my doubts. "

Lob

Lobstah said:
This was posted on another HD forum I hang out on:

"The most concerning part of that plan for most of us is that the first bird is due to carry ONLY Local HD channels. According to their releases, they plan no more national HD channels until 2007! There is NO WAY that can be accurate. If it is, people will be flipping by then.

Also, all our hopes for increased picture quality given these satellites just went out the window. It appears as if all the extra bandwidth they have is going to, again, more channels.

If a service came along that provide the key channels I'm interested in and did so with a minimum of compression, I'd drop DirecTV in a heartbeat and move there. I am so tired of seeing CNN anchors look great when they don't move and then becoming fuzzy when they so much as twitch. It's quite annoying when you become aware of it. Hopefully MPEG-4 will address some of this but I have my doubts. "

Lob
theres another satellite thats going up this year its called directtv 8 its a better replacement for directtv 2 i beleve has both ka and dbs transponders so most likely this sat will allow for national hd on the ka band .especally since spaceway 1 will use spot beams on ka the other ka transponders will be for spotbeam . fyi space way 2 will be at 99 degrees and spaceway 1 will be at 101

kelljc said:

that new channels well first d does have universal hd plus they were adding national network hd feeds ny/la . granted alot of the country cant see them but they had the superbowl in hd did e no did voom nope d atleast has a plan . but ill be the first to say i want voom to work jus tfor the simple fact its keeps d* and e* working to add hd

"beast37799", are you dead already?

beast37799 said:
that new channels well first d does have universal hd plus they were adding national network hd feeds ny/la . granted alot of the country cant see them but they had the superbowl in hd did e no did voom nope d atleast has a plan . but ill be the first to say i want voom to work jus tfor the simple fact its keeps d* and e* working to add hd

Dead or not still enjoying HDTV under clear (rain promised!) Seattle skies, Gill

The current FCC is more interested in policing content than they are development of HD or 5.1 for radio. Broadcasters and providers are going to have to do it themselves. If any action will come at all, it will be because consumers will demand it through the Congress.

The company that owns the NBC and Fox stations where I live, refuse...and I mean refuse to spend the money to update their stations. The Fox digital picture is at the bare minimum power allowed by law. The antenna is located on stick so small, it can't clear the area where it is located.

All licensed stations MUST operate in the public's interest, convenance, and necessity and clearly the stations paying lip service to the Digital broadcast act are NOT acting for the public. The E* Local HD proposal is interesting but has little support because the lobby against it is so strong and hardly anyone is contacting their representatives.

If people really want their locals forced into providing HD, or want to shop elsewhere around the country, they need to write (not email) their representatives and demand that these stations operate under the agreement in which they were licensed. Public Interest, convenance, and necessity.

I promise you, after a few stations get their license renewal held up, they will pay attention.

SeattleVoomer u have a thing with dead dont u

SeattleVoomer1 said:
Dead or not still enjoying HDTV under clear (rain promised!) Seattle skies, Gill
im enjoying hdtv too sat and ota especally with the upcomming noreaster tomorrow here on the jersey shore near the real point pleasent

Re kelljc:

I don't know were you're located but in Central Ohio all locals are now supplying "HD" when In "HD", but you'll be a old person berfor " E " or "D" will uplink locals in "HD".
And
”… also I read somewhere on this site you only gain a 20 or 30 % more space with MPEG4 not triple. oh well " LOL "

Perhaps you should try getting your information from the sources, rather than just “somewhere on this site” (or others).
Your continual posting of incredibly bad information is a case in point, One can only hope you are not being quoted as a reliable source anywhere.
The DirecTV information was very publicly announced and is still readily available:

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 6, 2005--Continuing to establish milestones in technological achievement and advancements that enhance the television entertainment experience, DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading and fastest-growing digital television service provider today demonstrated the world's first live MPEG-4 AVC/DVB-S2 (Moving Picture Expert Group -- Advanced Video Compression/Digital Video Broadcast -- Satellite 2) high-definition (HD) transmission via satellite at the 2005 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
The new standard in transmission and video compression is being demonstrated on an HD television set in the DIRECTV booth at CES, and will be used by DIRECTV to expand its video offer by launching hundreds of local and national HD channels later this year and in 2007.
"This is the most advanced transmission in the world, mapping out a bold new path for the delivery of HDTV via satellite to every consumer in America," said Romulo Pontual, executive vice president and CTO, The DIRECTV Group. "By combining this transmission technology with powerful new satellites, we are laying the foundation to make the best television experience even better."
This advanced transmission significantly reduces the amount of bandwidth required to deliver HD via satellite. DIRECTV will continue to use MPEG-2 for standard definition broadcasts and will eventually convert all existing HD customers to the new technology introduced today.
Pontual also acknowledged Tandberg, Radyne/Comstream, Conexant, Broadcom and ST Microelectronics for their support in DIRECTV's transmission enhancement initiative. As part of this initiative, DIRECTV has been working cooperatively with members of the industry toward the development of a common transmission format, contributing significantly to the Digital Video Broadcasting standard for advanced modulation and coding (DVB-S2) and the implementation of guidelines for MPEG-4 AVC.
DIRECTV announced last September plans for a dramatic expansion of local and national HD programming over the next two years via four new Ka-band satellites to support the carriage of 1,500 local and 150 CONUS HDTV channels plus other enhanced services. The satellites are now under construction and two will be launched early this year.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle_print&ID=660036&highlight=

and this (also announced in January 6):

New HD Local Markets Mark First Stage in Dramatic Expansion of
HD Programming Over the Next Two Years

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 6, 2005--DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading and fastest-growing digital television service provider, announced today that 12 of the nation's largest designated market areas (DMAs) will be among the first to receive DIRECTV-delivered local channels in high-definition (HD) in the second half of this year. DIRECTV will begin a historic expansion of its capacity with the planned launch of four next-generation satellites that will deliver more than 1,500 local HD and more than 150 national HD channels and other advanced programming services to consumers nationwide by 2007.
The first group of DMAs to receive local HD channels is: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa. These markets represent nearly 36 million homes or 32.8 percent of all U.S. TV households. Additional markets to receive local HD programming this year will be announced at a later date. Today, DIRECTV offers local channels in standard definition in 130 markets, including these 12 markets.
"With the launch of the first of our local HD markets, we begin the most dramatic programming expansion in our history and take the first steps toward our goal of offering local HD channels to every household in America," said Mitchell Stern, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "We believe the addition of HD local channels to our programming lineup will provide new opportunities for growth as demand for HD programming increases, and will enable us to compete even more aggressively with cable."
Local HD programming in the first group of markets will be available mid-year following the successful launch of the Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 satellites in the second quarter. The launch of these satellites and two others -- DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, scheduled to go aloft in early 2007 -- will play a vital role in the dramatic expansion of programming capacity for DIRECTV, announced last September.
The Boeing-built Spaceway 1 and 2 satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels, bringing local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, and will enable DIRECTV to continue to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements. DIRECTV 10 and 11 will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels and other new programming offerings. All four satellites will use spot-beam technology to deliver local channels.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=660037&highlight=

Jamey K said:
Any know exactly the bill E* introduce to allow satillite providers to sell Network HD to locals where they stations are years away from going HiDef?
Nothing specific like that.
Is it possible to have D* broadcast local HD channels that don't exist? AFAIK they can't. The local channels still have a while before they really have to broadcast HD at full power, if they will ever have to. My local broadcaster tells me the "don't have the money to upgrade" excuse loophole is still working. So they won't upgrade until someone tells them they have absolutely no choice (with no valid excuses). So, D* will probably start adding HD LiL, but to locations that have OTA HDTV--not helping those that really need it. If they could offer network HD feeds to those of us that can't get OTA HD, the local broadcast networks would at least have some incentive do HD stuff.

chevyN8 said:
Nothing specific like that.
Is it possible to have D* broadcast local HD channels that don't exist? AFAIK they can't. The local channels still have a while before they really have to broadcast HD at full power, if they will ever have to. My local broadcaster tells me the "don't have the money to upgrade" excuse loophole is still working. So they won't upgrade until someone tells them they have absolutely no choice (with no valid excuses). So, D* will probably start adding HD LiL, but to locations that have OTA HDTV--not helping those that really need it. If they could offer network HD feeds to those of us that can't get OTA HD, the local broadcast networks would at least have some incentive do HD stuff.

It's NOT D* that refuses to give anyone localHD.........it's the way Congress has wrote the law....D* would LOVE to supply anyone and everyone with ALL the HD but their hands are tied

rkr0923 said:
It's NOT D* that refuses to give anyone localHD.........it's the way Congress has wrote the law....D* would LOVE to supply anyone and everyone with ALL the HD but their hands are tied
Yes, I didn't say that, but I do know that. It's not much different that how I can't recieve analog locals via a huge antenna w/preamp, but D* and E* couldn't provide distant networks because I needed a wavier. Local broadcasters never sign any waviers in my area. Since E* lit-up our LiL's I've seen lots and lots of superdishes, the only other choice was cable. Ya, the law really didn't make local broadcasters do anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts