FOX News Channel/DISH dispute

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
There is one thing to say about rising rates. I received a pair of discounts for Starz and BB@Home for six months. So it isn't as if Dish doesn't help spread a little love around.
Just because it keeps coming up, I just went to Dish & Directs web page to get service for two rooms. I'm not counting the "introductory rate"

Dish
Top 120 $54.99
DVR Fee $12.00
Joey Fee $ 7.00
TOTAL: $73.99

Direct
Select PKG $49.99
Advanced Receiver $15.00
2 TVs $12.00
TOTAL: $76.99
With VIP being shifted out of new sales for the Hopper, the difference evaporates quickly between Directv and Dish. Dish's main advantage is if you have a VIP receiver and that only really applies to existing subs, unless you buy your own.

I've been a Dish subscriber for almost 17 years but this is getting old really fast. I spoke to a CSR and she said they are getting hammered over this, way more than they expected. I still have access to FNC via my broadband provider but if this isn't resolved soon I'm done with Dish.

Reactions: space86
I've been a Dish subscriber for almost 17 years but this is getting old really fast. I spoke to a CSR and she said they are getting hammered over this, way more than they expected. I still have access to FNC via my broadband provider but if this isn't resolved soon I'm done with Dish.

Really, one CSR says they are slammed and that is feeling of everyone? Doubtful at best. I salute them for finally giving the finger back to Fox.

Based on the posts, I'm thinking a new model for IPTV... just locals and Fox News. Charge $40 for it. Might make a fortune.
Fox is the problem in this negotiation, but you want to take it out on Dish?

Reactions: WXIK K-96
Really, one CSR says they are slammed and that is feeling of everyone? Doubtful at best. I salute them for finally giving the finger back to Fox.

What are you talking about? I simply reported what I was told, no where did I imply " that is feeling of everyone?"

"Doubtful at best:" Yeah, sure, whatever makes you happy...

I think it would be more than that. DISH pushes hard at rural America which is a bastion of traditional Conservative values. I think the outcry is loud if Fox News goes dark.

I live in rural america and sell Dish. Not only do I sell Dish but I'm a part owner of a farm equipment dealership. The majority of my customer base is the farming community. I have yet to hear a customer complain about losing Fox News. Even if I do hear a customer start complaining about losing the channel, it would take weeks before they would actually do anything about it like switching to another provider.

Reactions: PortlandChris
Based on the posts, I'm thinking a new model for IPTV... just locals and Fox News. Charge $40 for it. Might make a fortune. Fox is the problem in this negotiation, but you want to take it out on Dish?

It doesn't matter to me who is the "problem". I subscribe to a service, if that service ceases to provide what I value then I'll switch to one that will. Dish has made a business decision and so will I.

Yea, it's a shame we have to wade through all the crap just to see that there's no news.

From our perspective, we've had several customers call to complain and quite a few are cancelling. I would not want to be a Dish CSR during this. Just had one guy who's gonna pay a hefty ETF and go to cable. :eeek

My roommate is still a CSR at Dish, and I asked her about it last night. She did say there have been many calls about it, but most customers are willing to accept what is happening is business. They thank her, and go on their way. She said this was really not as big of an event as many people thought it was going to be, and AMC was a bigger deal. So, I am hesitant to take the word of just one CSR. I know exactly what my roommate is saying, as I was the one that trained her(I her first supervisor and she as my first employee). It's going to have everything to do with how you talk to the customer, and how well you know your product and company. I am really proud of her, and still get phone calls and text messages about how well informed she is as an agent, thanking me for setting her up to that success. Did the agent you spoke with give you lots of "uhms" and "hmm" or even just sound like they didn't want to be there? Cause if so, that's why they feel like they are being slammed.

It doesn't matter to me who is the "problem". I subscribe to a service, if that service ceases to provide what I value then I'll switch to one that will. Dish has made a business decision and so will I.
You just did it again. You said "Dish has made a business decision...", it is Fox that is leveraging FNC for FS1 and FXX. They are making the "business decision".

I am waiting till Jan 5. If no settlement I will move to DTV. I am sure I am not the only one.

I live in rural america and sell Dish. Not only do I sell Dish but I'm a part owner of a farm equipment dealership. The majority of my customer base is the farming community. I have yet to hear a customer complain about losing Fox News. Even if I do hear a customer start complaining about losing the channel, it would take weeks before they would actually do anything about it like switching to another provider.
I'm not surprised. People have a mistaken view of what/who us rural folk really are. The vast majority of us are moderates with a slight lean to the right. Of course we aren't the ones the news services want to talk to, they want to talk to the far right/left because it makes for more interesting news. And for most of us out here our lives don't center around the politics as much as you might think.

I watch/read lots of places, and used Fox as one source. But mostly that's for fodder to feed my very conservative golfing partners so we have something to bitch about on the golf course, other than our play!! :)

Reactions: ChadT41
My roommate is still a CSR at Dish, and I asked her about it last night. She did say there have been many calls about it, but most customers are willing to accept what is happening is business. They thank her, and go on their way. She said this was really not as big of an event as many people thought it was going to be, and AMC was a bigger deal. So, I am hesitant to take the word of just one CSR. I know exactly what my roommate is saying, as I was the one that trained her(I her first supervisor and she as my first employee). It's going to have everything to do with how you talk to the customer, and how well you know your product and company. I am really proud of her, and still get phone calls and text messages about how well informed she is as an agent, thanking me for setting her up to that success. Did the agent you spoke with give you lots of "uhms" and "hmm" or even just sound like they didn't want to be there? Cause if so, that's why they feel like they are being slammed.

Yep, just like the folks at Directv get calls from subs wanting Pac 12.....there is always an onslaught of folks complaining.

There are others who decide to "complain" just to get some short term credits, regardless of how they feel.

This too will pass!!!!

Reactions: ChadT41

Thanks for reporting the real truth.

That's simply is not true. I gave exact apples to apples figures. Most subscribers have the VIP series receivers and as such most are saving like I am over Direct TV a varying range depending on number of rooms. Two rooms saves for me $15 a month. (I would be a lucky Direct TV customer paying a $3 surcharge) Three rooms (As I remember) about $12 for me) I believe one room is $20 less but would have to look again. Also someone posted the Hopper can be quite some less also in some configurations but since I don't have that I have not directly compared.

I have always said long before now those that want the latest technology or with the VIP series have four or more rooms will pay much closer to Direct TV.
Apples to apples would be Hopper to Genie.

As for ancient VIP tech, that just falls into the catagory I already mentioned of basic packages with less channels. In this case, it would be basic equipment with less features.

Can new customers even sign up requesting that old stuff?

The latest and currently offered tech is what is generally used in these comparisons or discussions. In discussions past, with past pricing and fees, I've not found a big difference in my setup with VIP or HR, same as will now between the Hooper and Genie.

Of course its different with older tech versus new tech.

Listed current prices all said, its the same, or close enough to not matter.
Stop making sense.

There is one thing to say about rising rates. I received a pair of discounts for Starz and BB@Home for six months. So it isn't as if Dish doesn't help spread a little love around.
With VIP being shifted out of new sales for the Hopper, the difference evaporates quickly between Directv and Dish. Dish's main advantage is if you have a VIP receiver and that only really applies to existing subs, unless you buy your own.

That's not correct. There is no requirement to purchase equipment to get a VIP receiver (722k), and there are plenty (likely a majority) of new connects using VIP as opposed to Hopper equipment. I've rebuilt many new connect work orders, and there is zero preference for the Hopper. Maybe sales agents are pushed to offer a Hopper system, but the computer does not care if the customer gets VIP or Hopper equipment.

In the example, switching out the Hopper/Joey would save the customer $12/mo (Joey fee goes to zero, DVR fee goes from 12 to 7). The second TV would be SD, though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)