FOX News Channel/DISH dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Apples to apples would be Hopper to Genie.

As for ancient VIP tech, that just falls into the catagory I already mentioned of basic packages with less channels. In this case, it would be basic equipment with less features.

Can new customers even sign up requesting that old stuff?

Stop making sense.

Yes, of course customers can sign up and ask for VIP receivers. There's some false narrative here that customers are required to start a new account with Hopper equipment. That is incorrect. The system for a new connect has no preference whatsoever for Hopper equipment. The Hopper solution is on the left, the VIP solution is on the right, after the agent enters the # of televisions, and whether the customer wants HD or DVR on each one.

Yes, of course customers can sign up and ask for VIP receivers. There's some false narrative here that customers are required to start a new account with Hopper equipment. That is incorrect. The system for a new connect has no preference whatsoever for Hopper equipment. The Hopper solution is on the left, the VIP solution is on the right, after the agent enters the # of televisions, and whether the customer wants HD or DVR on each one.
Is that on the website as an option? I really do not know. I do not recall seeing it when I signed up.

That's not correct. There is no requirement to purchase equipment to get a VIP receiver (722k), and there are plenty (likely a majority) of new connects using VIP as opposed to Hopper equipment. I've rebuilt many new connect work orders, and there is zero preference for the Hopper. Maybe sales agents are pushed to offer a Hopper system, but the computer does not care if the customer gets VIP or Hopper equipment.
Well this is the Internet, and the poster is always right! But I'll make this one exception and say I was apparently mistaken. Sorry.

In the example, switching out the Hopper/Joey would save the customer $12/mo (Joey fee goes to zero, DVR fee goes from 12 to 7). The second TV would be SD, though.
For three or so months of the savings, you can get an HDMI splitter to fix that problem.

As for ancient VIP tech, that just falls into the catagory I already mentioned of basic packages with less channels. In this case, it would be basic equipment with less features.
I wouldn't consider the 722k "basic equipment". While the interface is nothing to scream about, it has a healthy hard drive, which can be added onto with an external for no extra price, and the digital channels out of the video feed for the RCA video looks good on an HD screen.

*shifty eyes* And no one can beat the VOD menu on the 722k!

Reactions: Tampa8 and ChadT41
Not sure how a few can purport to speak for all of "rural America." A glance at a Red/Blue map of the USA is really more revealing than few comments here. I, for one, am pretty ticked at Fox/Dish. I'm sure they are both to blame to some extent.

Reactions: space86
Now that I'm no longer subsidizing FAUX "news" I finally feel like I am getting my money's worth from Dish.
Happy dance !!:whoo:everybodydance:whoo
Don't get too excited, Dee Ann, you know the channel is likely to return, and Dish will start paying 21st Century Fox for it again.

Also, I am pretty sure Scott asked folks to keep to the facts of the situation, and not whether they consider the channel a good or bad channel, or whether they personally like or dislike the channel.

Right. Sorry about that. I was not aware of the restriction on comments about the situation.
(post deleted)

One can only hope that this will lead to all the Fox troubles ending and we get streaming access for the whole suite. Of course both sides will have to compromise (early renewing renamed channels, dropping lawsuit) but since you have channels blacked out already might as well talk everything out and come to a full deal for like a decade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I took the wife to Walmart today and stopped by the FIOS booth while she shopped.
Of the 3 reps none had a clue how large a hard drive was, none had a clue what speed the ethernet ports were and none could explain what functions were available on the 2 USB ports.
They were promoting a special triple play for $79.95, but if I wanted a DVR there were several choices, but again no one actually knew which DVR was equal to the Hopper.
We settled on the top of the line DVR plus 2 set top boxes. With tax and equipment the $79.95 came to about $140 a month. With my current credits and 2 Hoppers with Sling and the new year increase I am paying $61. I also pay TWC $35 for 50/5 internet, so $96 total. In July when my credits ar gone I will be at $90+$35=$125. I have no idea what my ETF would be, but I have $everal reasons not to switch even though I really want Fox News back.
I am pretty sure my 2 HWS are superior to the FIOS DVRs even though no one actually knows what they can do.

Reactions: Tampa8
One can only hope that this will lead to all the Fox troubles ending and we get streaming access for the whole suite. Of course both sides will have to compromise (early renewing renamed channels, dropping lawsuit) but since you have channels blacked out already might as well talk everything out and come to a full deal for like a decade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That would be a terrible move on Dish. Unless they set different expiration dates on the suite of channels after the 10 years.

Unfortunately, that is how it will most likely play out. Fox will cave or they will stay dark until the FS1, FX nets contract is up or Dish will leverage dropping of all lawsuits and access for NuTV in return for early negotiations on the FS1,FX suite and return of FNC and FBN.

That's like offering a second cheeseburger for free. But, it made from tofu.
LOL we can agree on that. There are an astonishing number of people still with SD sets as a second set though.

I don't see any excuse making, other than this is bigger than just Fox News, it has to do with bundling and how Fox has screwed Dish on other issues (i.e. Hopper frivolous lawsuits, hard core price increases on broadcast owned Fox channels, FSN channels, and the like.) Let's at least tell the true facts here.

all the disputes have been about contracts for more $$$$. Remember Disney wanting more money for the EXACT same channels?

The liberal bias is amazing, and given the comments some posters have made here, it is clear they do not watch FNC and are just regurgitating stuff.

It's supposed to be about the issue, but how many "faux news" posts have there been, and how many "this is all Fox not dish" posts have there been?

Bottom line, we pay dish for service, and are without- hence dish is to blame. Contract negotiations are their responsibility and should be handled in a timely manner. The fact we are used as pawns is irritating. It's funny to see so many willing to be that pawn because of their disdain for FNC. Our bills are not that much cheaper at the end of the day.

Again, the conservative bias was not on display in the CNN thread the way the other side has been in this one

Reactions: NightRyder
The CNN thread was very low key with few real participants because virtually no one actually cared.

Fox News OTOH, brings out the vociferous from both sides. FNC viewer are a passionate lot, CNN viewers not so much. And the vast majority of us don't actually care about either one of them much.

The CNN thread was very low key with few real participants because virtually no one actually cared.

Fox News OTOH, brings out the vociferous from both sides. FNC viewer are a passionate lot, CNN viewers not so much. And the vast majority of us don't actually care about either one of them much.

Agreed and agreed.... Lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts