FOX NEWS ROLLS DOWN TO CLASSIC BRONZE 100

I wish Scott would respond to this if he is hearing anything. Scott, any official word you are getting? Got any inside info on why Dish is being ridiculous like this and not adding Fox News HD to the TurboHD only packs?
At this point -- since they've had plenty long enough -- inside info doesn't mean anything. I want action!

As someone else suggested, I think everyone needs to email DISH about this. Sure we won't get anything but an automated response, but they might have email-bots scanning the emails for keywords and then flowing the information up -- or at least keeping track of how many people complain. If we do nothing, then that only lessens the chances that DISH will finally "wake up" and make things right.

I'm thinking it's a done deal. TurboHD is just another gimmick whose days are numbered.

TurboHD packages no longer allow you to buy or subscribe to the entirety of HD that Dish provides. If you want every available HD channel, why would somebody choose a TurboHD package when it's clear that HD is excluded. That also means new HD likely will be excluded because the precedent has now been set.

HD channels are being locked out of the TurboHD packages.

Just as Dish forbid existing customers to switch over to TurboHD until February '09 from the AT (now called Classic) packages because they didn't want to lose the revenue, the first exclusion of a new HD channel from the TurboHD packages makes it clear...it's probably not financially viable, and the experiment is over.

If the experiment is truly over, then DISH best prepare to loose a lot of subs this next quarter (and future ones) until all their TurboHD customers are gone!!! IMO, it is the only thing that makes DISH better than DirecTV -- and the only reason I switched! And I don't believe for a minute that it is not financially viable to offer HD-only packages like TurboHD -- especially at the new substantially higher prices.

Finally got my reply from ceo at echostar dot com: (nothing new; canned response) :(

Dear J.D.,

Thank you for email about TurboHD programming. At this time Fox News HD and Fox Business News HD is only available in our Classic packages. We are constantly evaluating the programming in our packages and may add this channel to our TurboHD packages in the future. It has been brought to our attention there was a discrepancy on our website regarding the availability of Fox News HD and Fox Business News HD which has been corrected.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and realize that in today’s competitive world you have a choice in services. We thank you for your continued business and support.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or would like to discuss this matter further.

Sincerely,
Angeline R.
Executive Communications
DISH Network Corporation

Got the exact same reply:

Dear DJ,

Thank you for email about TurboHD programming. At this time Fox News HD and Fox Business News HD is only available in our Classic packages. We are constantly evaluating the programming in our packages and may add this channel to our TurboHD packages in the future. It has been brought to our attention there was a discrepancy on our website regarding the availability of Fox News HD and Fox Business News HD which has been corrected.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and realize that in today’s competitive world you have a choice in services. We thank you for your continued business and support.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or would like to discuss this matter further.

Sincerely...

And here is what I wrote back:

Thanks so much for the response Romero, I appreciate it.

I think the only remaining question, and I don't know if you can comment on this, but I would like to know what the criteria is for adding HD channels to the TurboHD only packs. As a TurboHD only customer, now I am worried that no more channels will be added to the TurboHD only packages.

I think almost everyone who switched from a Classic + TurboHD to a TurboHD only package assumed that any new channels added to a Classic TurboHD list would be added to the corresponding TurboHD only packages. I think this is assumed because the names are "Classic + TurboHD Bronze" and then "TurboHD Bronze" stand-alone package. So people assume if I take away the Classic part I will get the same number of HD channels in the TurboHD Bronze stand-alone. This is REALLY confusing for customers, and I think will end up hurting your business in the long-run.

So now I am concerned that I will not get other HD channels when they are added. For instance, Charlie said that channels like Comedy Central HD and Speed HD will be coming sometime this year; how do I know that those channels will be added to TurboHD stand-alone packages? Are my TurboHD Bronze channels frozen as the only channels I will ever get?

Does this all make sense? I think this is why people are reacting so strongly, because it just doesn't make sense and seems like the TurboHD stand-alones lose their value.

Thanks again. Let me know if you can answer this in any way. And please put in a programming request that you add Fox News HD to the TurboHD Bronze stand-alone

I'm thinking it's a done deal. TurboHD is just another gimmick whose days are numbered.

TurboHD packages no longer allow you to buy or subscribe to the entirety of HD that Dish provides. If you want every available HD channel, why would somebody choose a TurboHD package when it's clear that HD is excluded. That also means new HD likely will be excluded because the precedent has now been set.

HD channels are being locked out of the TurboHD packages.

Just as Dish forbid existing customers to switch over to TurboHD until February '09 from the AT (now called Classic) packages because they didn't want to lose the revenue, the first exclusion of a new HD channel from the TurboHD packages makes it clear...it's probably not financially viable, and the experiment is over.
They sure are marketing the heck out of it if it is a done deal, especially with the $9.99 intro offers.

I can't remember, did they aggressively advertise the HD Absolute package? I just wish they would come clean and explain themselves.

Heh, I asked a CSR yesterday why they excluded FN and FNHD from the TurboHD packages. The response was, "Because the decision was made to not include FN and FNHD in the TurboHD packages".

I can't remember, did they aggressively advertise the HD Absolute package? I just wish they would come clean and explain themselves.

Heh, I asked a CSR yesterday why they excluded FN and FNHD from the TurboHD packages. The response was, "Because the decision was made to not include FN and FNHD in the TurboHD packages".
I don't ever remember them advertising HD Absolute. The only reason I knew about it was because of SatGuys.

Finally got my reply from ceo at echostar dot com: (nothing new; canned response) :(

Dear J.D.,

Sincerely,
Angeline R.
Executive Communications
DISH Network Corporation
funny..... that's the exact same message they emailed back to me.... word for word.... same lady too!!! I did send a reply with some more question. Will let you know if it's anything earth shattering.

Last edited:
Submit Charlie Chat Question!

I strongly recommend everyone submit a question to Monday night's Charlie Chat; here's the form:

DISH Network -- Customer Care -- Charlie Chat

The odds of anyone getting a call on the air are extremely low but you can at least have your voice heard loud and clear by the number of questions on this topic. They do supposedly answer charlie chat emails not read on the air. ;) Also, if you haven't already done so, send a complaint email to ceo at echostar dot com. Who knows, the squeeky wheel might just get some grease.

Please send the link to other friends and forums.

Last edited:
I strongly recommend everyone submit a question to Monday night's Charlie Chat; here's the form:

http://http://www.dishnetwork.com/pop_ups/customer_service/charlieChat/question.shtml

The odds of anyone getting a call on the air are extremely low but you can at least have your voice heard loud and clear by the number of questions on this topic. They do supposedly answer charlie chat emails not read on the air. ;) Also, if you haven't already done so, send a complaint email to ceo at echostar dot com. Who knows, the squeeky wheel might just get some grease.

Please send the link to other friends and forums.

Your link is a little broken, might want to try here (follow the link in FAQ #1)

FNC and FBC may very well be the only channels ever excluded from the TurboHD tiers, but excluded they are, and it appears to be on purpose.

The new carriage agreement press release from Fox only mentions the channels being available in the Classic packs, as well, the two channels are now available to only 11 million of their 13.7 million subscribers.

If FNC and FBC are ever included in any of the TurboHD packages, it won't be until a new carriage agreement with Fox is signed.

Last edited:
something fishy going on here

Here's what I wrote Dish for their Chat show

Hey Folks
You sure have us HD customers confused with your classic this and turbo that.. Come on!...get real!.. I've been an HD subscriber for a long time - I joined up with you rather than Direct because you had VOOM and more HD then..which looked awesome on my 110'' front proj system. I've gotten over the crude way you dumped VOOM, but now you are playing games with FOX HD NEWS, and others and Turbo HD packages that seem not to get any new HD channels. Time to simplify and improve your packages.

Your Platnium HD group baffles many that you have WFN in it??? Fishy stuff alright !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)