Fox News Sues Echostar

"The most widely available" would be the cheapest package any way you look at it. All Dish subscribers can afford at least the 100 package. Not all Dish subscribers can afford the 200 package due to financial reasons of the individual. Therefore, common sense dictates that the top 100 package is the most widely available package. It doesn't matter if more subscribers subscribe to the top 200, not all can afford it."

actually it does matter if more people sub to the at200. The contract says it must be in their most widley disturbuted package which will be the package that the most people sub to. Based on your logic then the dish family would be the most widely available since it is the cheapest

and if I am not mistaken it is in that one.

The wishes of Fox News lovers and haters notwithstanding it somes down to where DISH promised to put it in the most recent agreement and whether they are doing that.

This is strictly business. It's not politics. I have heard that Charlie is fairly Liberal. But he is clearly a businessman first and foremost.

Charlie has a long history of battles w/ Fox this and Fox that. The evidence does not support your theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brings to mind a scene from the Cuban Missile Crisis movie, Thirteen Days....

"Do you know what this is?" (government suit points at map showing ships "currently" blockading Cuba) .....

"Language".

People don't use words anymore...... They let the lawsuits become leverage to force a deal.....

I agree though.... time to make their subscriber info public.... If Top 200 is their most widely subscribed to package, they may have an out..... Then again, technically EVERYONE who subscribes to any of the Top ___ packages, subscribes to all the channels in the smallest.....

AAAAUGH! My head hurts......

Don't forget..... E* bested Rupert twice.... Once with a big lawsuit in the 90's that went their way, and the time that E* outbid Rupert to get D*... Of course, the DOJ scotched that deal and Rupert got it anyway, but Charlie and Rupert DON'T like each other and look for any excuse to slap each other around in the courts.....

Charlie has a long history of battles w/ Fox this and Fox that. The evidence does not support your theory.

....but the post here is about Law Suit. I think that e* should follow whatever they promised in their agreement..strictly business.

Last edited by a moderator:
oops...is that Billo the falafel O'liely speaking now? It is common knowledge that Fox News is the propaganda organ of republican party....but the post here is about Law Suit. I think that e* should follow whatever they promised in their agreement..strictly business.

You have just won the best post in the thread award!

guess we'll not see any FOX HD programming added anytime soon... FoxNews, FX...

Could somebody please post a link to a press release that Fox News Channel is going HD? I have yet to hear or see anything about FNC going HD, regardless of whether or not Dish would carry such a channel.

This is clearly about Fox Business Channel. Nothing more. Nothing Less.

Fox can't get Charlie to pick up FBC, so they looked around until they found something to sue over.

You have a viable theory but using the words "clearly" and "nothing more, nothing less" are silly. You may be correct, you may not be. There is nothing "clear" at all indicating this is about Dish not carrying FBN. Your opinion is all it is.

Have you actually watched FBC?.......

I watch it on an almost daily basis on cable and it is a wonderful channel, full of very useful information.

... And then you went on about Fox News being Right wing.... take it to the pit.

I think the real question is whether or not you have actually watched Fox Business. Like I said, I watch it daily. Do you?

I didn't think so.

Please share your source for the low ratings. I'd like to see it.

Going by stereotype alone, you'd think Dish Net's HQ would have been burned down by unhappy Fox-news-demanding customers by now ;)

Thank goodness that stereotype isn't true! XD

I don't care if they add it, as I said before. For those who want it, more power to you, but I hope it doesn't mean more $$ out of MY pocket!

Do you think they'll rename the package AT101 after that? XD

actually it does matter if more people sub to the at200. The contract says it must be in their most widley disturbuted package which will be the package that the most people sub to. Based on your logic then the dish family would be the most widely available since it is the cheapest

Like several have already stated, those that have the AT200 also have all the channels making up the AT100. We all know that the standard package is the AT100. AT100 is to Dish what analog 2-99 is to cable. AT200 is to Dish what digital cable is to cable.

You have a viable theory but using the words "clearly" and "nothing more, nothing less" are silly. You may be correct, you may not be. There is nothing "clear" at all indicating this is about Dish not carrying FBN. Your opinion is all it is.

Regardless if you agree, his FOX Business Channel theory is so far the most probable one, if you read between the lines.

It would be awfully hard for FOX News to convince the court when they waited till now to bring about the suit, because in your mind as well as many others who are on FOX News side, Charlie had violated the agreement from the get go, meaning back in 1998. FOX might have seen an opening when they got some latest sub data from E* that indicated starting 01/07, AT100 might have become the more subbed package than AT200, but to even prove that would be tricky, because what they supposed to do say when in the 1st Q of 2007 AT100 was more subbed than AT200 but in 2nd Q of 2007 AT200 went back to top? Should FNC appear and disappear from AT100 according to the data for any given quarterly results?

So it seems more a tactical move to force a NEW agreement in which E* will carry both FNC and FBC in AT100 without language such as “most widely distributed package.” How well the tactic will work remains to be seen. The key here however is a NEW agreement will be needed to resolve the issue, because even if the court agrees with FOX that some E* sub data suggest at times FNC should be in AT100, but other times should be in AT200, it makes no sense at all doing it that way. One earlier poster was right that in the past scuffles between Charlie and News Corp, Charlie always seemed to have upper hand, and News Corp had to get around him to get things done when he is in the way. On the other hand the recent losses Charlie has suffered in lawsuits, along with the bad last quarterly results, which I have no doubt will spill over to this quarter and next, if D*’s expansion with HD and the aggressive promos continue, all that may soften Charlie’s will to fight, if not of this own choosing, but at the urge of his corporate bean counters.

Like several have already stated, those that have the AT200 also have all the channels making up the AT100. We all know that the standard package is the AT100. AT100 is to Dish what analog 2-99 is to cable. AT200 is to Dish what digital cable is to cable.

That si your interpretation and probably the interpretation of Fox. but DISh is apparently arguing that the most widely distributed package is something other than the AT!00 because they are different packages.

it will be up to the courts---or more likely the lawyers to decide which interpretation is the correct one.

That si your interpretation and probably the interpretation of Fox. but DISh is apparently arguing that the most widely distributed package is something other than the AT!00 because they are different packages.

it will be up to the courts---or more likely the lawyers to decide which interpretation is the correct one.

I'll bet my "interpretation" as stated above is the interpretation of a majority of people as well as the staff at Dish. They know the AT100 package is the equivalent of analog cable. They'll have a tough time selling anybody that has an understanding of cable and satellite television on anything different.

Even FOX is interpreting the same way E* is. The disagreement appears to be that FOX complains that by 01/07 from the E* data they saw the most widely distributed package had changed to something other than AT200, but E* failed to make the adjustment necessary according to the 1998 agreement.

The fact FOX News in their lawsuit did not mention any good faith discussions between E* and FOX after 01/07, before going to the court, further demonstrates that this is not about whether E* stuck to the 1998 agreement or not, but FOX wanting to force a new agreement. Otherwise you would expect that FOX had tried to bring the fact to E*’s attention, and only after several rounds of E* giving FOX the finger would FOX go to court, that is usually how you win a lawsuit.

FOX is not interested in winning this lawsuit, because as I stated earlier even if they win, it would be a mess how to determine when FNC would fall in what package. They need a new agreement. By diverting some legal resources away which Charlie appears in urgent need at this juncture of his company, FOX might just try to nudge the process a little more in their favor in the negotiation.

I'll bet my "interpretation" as stated above is the interpretation of a majority of people as well as the staff at Dish. They know the AT100 package is the equivalent of analog cable. They'll have a tough time selling anybody that has an understanding of cable and satellite television on anything different.

Give it up skottey, if you were correct FOX would not have said after 01/07 in the lawsuit. It was obvious they knew how to interpret the agreement which is apparently not the same as yours.

But the majority does not win in cout. all we are trying to is show you that there are two ways of looking at it anfd the courts will decided.

But it is interesting that you think that the majority is behind you---and that it would mater ina legal dispute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)