FREE Center Ice due to Versus contract Dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i got offered 50% off center ice but declined.

the idea of that is kinda silly, as they claim the main reason they declined to carry versus was it would cause prices to go up for customers.

When i explained to him that 81 is greater then 0 he did that whole we understand thing.

i'd do this, but i don't care about hockey. if someone gets a similar offer for NBA LP, lemme know

I called and got a $10 per month discount off of my Sportspack (included in my Premier pkg) price for 6 months. I could have called back to get another CSR but I decided to accept the 1st offer. Part of that reason was that I recently got a very good deal on the ST/SF pricing so that was good enough for me for this year.

I also got a free 3rd SD Box to replace my dinosaur '99 Sony SAT-A4 box that I use mainly for XM Music multi-room feeds and occasional TV viewing via RF Coax. Since I hadn't been able to receive the "700" sports channels with that Sony Box, I appreciated the CSR for bringing the free SD replacement box to my attention at the time I called about the Vs issue.

I asked her about a possible Vs impending settlement but she hadn't received any late info about it as of a few minutes ago.

I asked about the CI MSG-HD issue as well. She hadn't heard anything about that issue recently.

I received this deal today also today. I truly called to cancel NHLCI today because of cost even with a previous discount. The CSR said because of my package and sport programming I subscribe to he said it was only fair. I paid for NHL CI last year. I was not happy when the MSGHD and MSGHD+ feeds went down being a Devils fan in all. Not that can be overlooked this year if it continues.

does Dish ever do stuff like this ?
being a FTA guy don't get over here or there much.
Give credits to people calling to complain? Absolutely. Almost every business in the service industry does -- the only thing that varies is the amount of complaining necessary. In cases like this where a channel is dropped, obviously they're going to try a bit harder than usual to placate customers.

No problem, I explained that I was concerned about the loss of Versus, she offered CI free right off the bat! :D

It pains me to say this, but sometimes directv makes me smile. :)

I don't understand what the mark on your account does
I call directv went to cancel service and just asked when versus was coming back and is there going to be a alternative channel they said they would take 100.00 off NHLCICE
I also got 60 off of superfan since I had no idea you needed that for the HD channel for football which I think is fffffffen crazy.

They should come with a package get favorite football baseball basketball and hockey team
for 350.00 a year instead of all of these packages
Call it Favorite Teams package..............LOL

Think I'll "bank" my credits score for NFL again next year and not mess with NHL (thanks again Stone for the real life "bottom line" explanation).

Account credits are like frequent flyer miles - you use them and - poof!

They should come with a package get favorite football baseball basketball and hockey team

Great idea but DirecTV does not control or create these league pass packages; the leagues do; so it would be hard to do. At least what I am saying is DirecTV can't just do it alone.

I don't understand what the mark on your account does
I call directv went to cancel service and just asked when versus was coming back and is there going to be a alternative channel they said they would take 100.00 off NHLCICE
I also got 60 off of superfan since I had no idea you needed that for the HD channel for football which I think is fffffffen crazy.

Great idea but DirecTV does not control or create these league pass packages; the leagues do; so it would be hard to do. At least what I am saying is DirecTV can't just do it alone.

I think the biggest selling point of these packages is people that can't see their favorite team because they live out of market. Sure, there are some people that want to see every game, but for most people it's already one team that's driving them to pay for these packages.... so there's probably not much for the leagues or carriers to gain by splitting them up like that, especially if they're going to make less money off of it.

Personally, I love the idea... just don't see the business sense of it.

Charper1,

Its not hard for DirecTV to offer the OOM packages for less. The League will still get their cut, but DirecTV take take a loss on their cut to keep customers. If DirecTV wants to offer a 50 percent discount off the OOM package, to keep a customer, it means DirecTV takes a loss in the short term, but gains in the long term by keeping a Customer from churning to another provider.

I love the NHL Center Ice package it allows me access to a game on any given night. As a Hockey fan, I'm still annoyed there are only National games available two nights a week on Versus (ughh), and one of those nights is Monday Night Football which is the dumbest moves ever. No National games on Friday, or Saturday night.

I wish the NHL would have taken less money and still be on ESPN, instead the NHL has moved to the lower rated Versus network which isn't available to many subscribers without moving to a Higher tier of service, nice move Bettman

John

If DirecTV wants to offer a 50 percent discount off the OOM package, to keep a customer, it means DirecTV takes a loss in the short term, but gains in the long term by keeping a Customer from churning to another provider.
Lose money on every transaction, but try to make it up with volume? Isn't that how we all became part owners of General Motors?

I wish the NHL would have taken less money and still be on ESPN, instead the NHL has moved to the lower rated Versus network which isn't available to many subscribers without moving to a Higher tier of service, nice move Bettman
The ratings in recent years have been higher on Versus than they were at the start of this decade when ESPN was showing games on ESPN and ESPN2. I'd say the NHL did alright - they got cash up front on the contract and got more viewers in the process. There's a few articles about it, like this one: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/127171

I did not call and ask for a freebie/discount but I did email them to voice my concerns about the lack of the VS - NHL programming.

I already have NFL ST/SF & MLB EI. I just can't justify the expense of a third package this year so I hope they resolve the issue soon. I think it's a good sign that CI is free for the next month and that the dispute will be resolved by then. Meanwhile my hockey fix will be kept in check quite nicely thanks to this month's CI 'preview'. Thanks DirecTV!

Regards,
Fiachra

Boy did I get the wrong rep on the phone. He offered me a $20 credit and essentially told me to sign with FIOS. I'll try again tonight.

Just had NHLCI added to my acct for free. Simply asked if there was anything that they could do. She said "Well, I could add CI for free if you would like". After hesitating for a moment and considering it I replied "Well, OK". :)

Well maybe they can package all sport package together and offer a deal here is the pricing to get all major sports
Football
300.00 Superfan 100.00
Hockey
NBA
MLB not sure if this is correct
Total of 861.71 $72 bucks a month maybe get
ALL MAJOR SPORTS PACKAGE for $500.00 or something like that.
I can't get my comcast philly so I have to order all I never do NBA

Status
Please reply by conversation.