Free-Dome!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PSB

On vacation
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
What with the rain today I had a chance to work on a pet project! The Free-Dome!

Its an 18 1/2" (3 1/4" deep) Prime focus dish with a radome protecting the dish and LNB, right now I am using a DBS LNB but hope to add a Linear Ku LNBF when ever the rain stops!

I plan or removing the LNBF cover to compensate for any signal loss caused by the radome!

Pictures below! Maybe an idea for folks that are not allowed a satellite dish (Or another satellite dish!

I also plan on working with an inverted dish to make a Low Pro version!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radome

Attachments

• Pict0138.JPG
    Pict0138.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Pict0146.JPG
    Pict0146.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Pict0147.JPG
    Pict0147.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Pict0148.JPG
    Pict0148.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Pict0149.JPG
    Pict0149.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Pict0160.JPG
    Pict0160.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
oh yeah love them mushrooms.

love this site you guys come up with the neatest looking Dishes I have ever seen.

free dome

I have seen a dish like this in florida being sold. I like the idea because you could put it on the ground.

I also hope that the radome will keep the worst of the Minnesnowta winter weather off the dish!

Fungi Dome

WyldCherry said:
hehe that looks like one of those white capped mushrooms

Fungi Dome!

Camo Dome!

Attachments

• Camo dome.jpg
    Camo dome.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Pict0138.JPG
    Pict0138.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 144
So, other than DVB sats, what will this dish receiver? Does it work with the weaker Linear Ku sats?
grusome

grusome said:
So, other than DVB sats, what will this dish receiver? Does it work with the weaker Linear Ku sats?
grusome

its an 18" dish so DBS is really the only option. Would it get KU? some really strong signals but I wouldn't run out and get one for KU :)

WyldCherry said:
where did you get it.

I know the best dumpsters in town :)

Adding some more pictures of whats inside the FreeDome! Including a linear LNB. I am getting Linear signals now but just started so I will post my results later! No skew needed as the dish is on a Poor mans H to H mount :D

One or two of the pictures are not actually a FreeDome! See if you can spot them! I also raised the elevation to show what it would look like in southern states!

VERY cloudy today!

--------------------------------

GBN on AMC 6 65% signal Quality.

Attachments

• Pict0163.JPG
    Pict0163.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Pict0164.JPG
    Pict0164.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Pict0165.JPG
    Pict0165.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Pict0166.JPG
    Pict0166.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Pict0167.JPG
    Pict0167.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Pict0168.JPG
    Pict0168.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Pict0169.JPG
    Pict0169.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
hehe not going to let that mushroom comment die are you hehe.just curious on where you had gotten it.would be fun to play with.

Perfect candidate for Rain Shield! Without a product Like Rain Shield, your signal will drop faster than the raindrops during a storm!!! Your LNBF cap shouldn't need to be removed ..... Interesting that they chose a prime focus. Seems that on that small of dish the loss would be quite high from the LNBF shadow!

Last edited:
They? This is not a real product! Rather a mix and match of components I botched together :)

The dish is designed for DBS signals so the LNB shadow is not really an issue, I have since switched to a linear LNB. With this design you have no choice but to remove the LNB cover (and indeed feedhorn) in fact its sawn off :) then fit the LNB into the blue feedhorn!

Starting to get some half decent linear signals now!

Every little helps :)

Nah! The dome is also sawn down and I even managed to drill a hole right through my finger when drilling the 4 holes that keep it in place!

Even the stand is from an old fan, have a few of them as they are EXACTLY the right size for DBS dish :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts