Free DVR lease?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HBKbiggestfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 16, 2006
D* is offering SD DVR's for FREE to new customers. Im a long-time "Valued" D* customer. Is it possible I can call retention and upgrade my 35hr. TiVo DVR (from 2004) to the 100 hr. DVR Plus for free even though Im a current customer? If so how should i approach the CSR? All feedback is much appreciated. Thanks:)

I don't know for sure, but it won't hurt to ask. I would just tell them that you're long-time customer and you'd like to stay with them, but you're getting all these other offers from the competition and you'd like to know what they can do for you. Simple as that. I think they'll work with you, but be prepared for a two-year service commitment. When I first wanted to go with a TiVo, it worked for me and I got one for free and one for $49 and a couple of other goodies. The commitment didn't bother me because if I'm happy with a service, I'm loyal. However, I know some folks here don't feel that way. If it doesn't bother you, give it a shot. Good luck.

HBKbiggestfan said:
Is it possible I can call retention and upgrade my 35hr. TiVo DVR (from 2004) to the 100 hr. DVR Plus
That's not an upgrade. Its a downgrade.

If you want more recording time, check out www.TiVocommunity.com and look for DirecTV with TiVo forum. Upgrading to a 200 hour Tivo will take you about 30 minutes (plus copy time if you want to save your recordings) and it very easy.

TiVo owners going to the R15 have generally not been happy.

herdfan said:
That's not an upgrade. Its a downgrade.

If you want more recording time, check out www.TiVocommunity.com and look for DirecTV with TiVo forum. Upgrading to a 200 hour Tivo will take you about 30 minutes (plus copy time if you want to save your recordings) and it very easy.

TiVo owners going to the R15 have generally not been happy.

I agree. We went to great lengths to find one of the remaining R10s so we could keep TiVo software. From my two friends who have the new R15, "it sucks" is the mildest comment I've heard-the rest is not publishable here. The amusement factor of the R15 to me is listening to all the inventive suggestions about where DirecTV can put their new non-TiVo DVRs.

Weaknees can set you free. Go there. Save yourself.

Even "free", the R15 is not a good deal.

Well, why do all these people stick with the R15 then? And herdfan, when i go to the tivo site how much will it cost me to get a 200 hour DIRECTV TiVo upgrade? What do I look for on the site? BTW my current one is NOT an HD DVR w/TiVo, just SD with 35 hours.

Last edited:
HBKbiggestfan said:
Well, why do all these people stick with the R15 then? And herdfan, when i go to the tivo site how much will it cost me to get a 200 hour DIRECTV TiVo upgrade? What do I look for on the site? BTW my current one is NOT an HD DVR w/TiVo, just SD with 35 hours.

DirecTV will no longer sell you, whoops-lease you an R10, which was their last standard def DVR with TiVo software-they want you to have their new DVR with DirecTV software. Yikes.

You have spent so long dithering about your choices that it will become much harder for you to find an R10 even if you decide you want one, and when you do, you might have to hook it up under a lease.

Check Weaknees or Value Electronics-they may have some, and they will tell you the straight stuff on the equipment agreement.

will do. although i went to the value electronics site and they had none, maybe i can call them tomorrow and ask.

HBKbiggestfan said:
Well, why do all these people stick with the R15 then? And herdfan, when i go to the tivo site how much will it cost me to get a 200 hour DIRECTV TiVo upgrade?

They have no choice but to stick with the R15. Joe6Pack doesn't know the difference, you do by virtue of visting here.

I do all my single drive upgrades myself, but www.weaknees.com can set you up with an upgrade.

As for R10 availability, try a Wal-Mart. Mine had a couple the other day.

I have both, the R-10 and R-15. I have been with DTV since the beginning. I was able to get 2 of the r-15s for $99. I got the first one free and the second for the $99. Both so far have worked just fine. They record what I want , when I want it. The interface is a bit different than the Directivo but I have been satisfied thus far.

Status
Please reply by conversation.