Free HD-DVR???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChrisK114

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 17, 2005
Mount Pleasant,SC
Does anyone know if the new HD Plus package will include a free or, at least, greatly reduced HD-DVR?? On the fence between D* or E* and this is the deciding factor.

good question. i have an installation sked 2/8 and getting the hd dvr. don't have any current programming so i'll know better after the install!!

but because i ordered today (2/3), it cost me 299 for the upgrade over 3 billing cycles. i'd be pissed if it were free after the 6th!!

Does anyone know if the new HD Plus package will include a free or, at least, greatly reduced HD-DVR?? On the fence between D* or E* and this is the deciding factor.

I seriously doubt that they'll offer a free DVR. They have been offering free HD boxes with upgrades, which I tried to get upgraded to a DVR (as a 10+year customer of D*. Even Customer Retention wouldn't give me the DVR, but they did offer me free HBO for 6 months and free NFL Super Fan for one season.

Current customer on contract. They gave me the HD DVR for $99 a couple weeks ago, install this week.

Dish is apparently giving their HD DVR away for free to new customers.

Let's see why would DISH offer a Free HDDVR?.Maybe so when DirecTV gets their
new HD channels up you will be locked in a contract with them for 18 months?.Hmmm.:rolleyes:

Also keep in mind that the DISH offer is for the 622 and it's no longer "New"

Jimbo

Jimbo? The only thing I stated as "New" in my post was D*'s "new" HD channels?.:confused:

You missed my point :(
My point was that seeing DISH's 622 is no longer the Hot New item that they don't mind giving them away for free, seeing they've made thier money off them when they first came out.
They started at $600 and then dropped to $ 199 and now you can get one for free with the right set of circumstances.

Remember the HR10-250 started at $ 1000 and dropped to like $ 700 and continued to drop to a point where it's pretty much free to those that would like one.
The 622 is not at that point yet, as it is still DISH's workhorse, but it is no longer new.

Jimbo

You missed my point :(
My point was that seeing DISH's 622 is no longer the Hot New item that they don't mind giving them away for free, seeing they've made thier money off them when they first came out.
They started at $600 and then dropped to $ 199 and now you can get one for free with the right set of circumstances.

Remember the HR10-250 started at $ 1000 and dropped to like $ 700 and continued to drop to a point where it's pretty much free to those that would like one.
The 622 is not at that point yet, as it is still DISH's workhorse, but it is no longer new.

Jimbo

OK sorry I see your point.:)

Hd Dvr

Its ironic that E is giving away there DVR to new customers. You say it is "Old" technology but it has features D doesn't have, like it runs 1 HDTV and a secondary tv any no $4.99 extra outlet fee. It is a duel tuner and can record 3 signals at once 2 HD and 1 Offair HD. It also can all run on 1 coax wire. It work:D s very well also. And unlike D who talks about HD content and "WOW" 150 channels comming, yea right and I also still beleive in Santa! Matter of fact I would beleive in Santa before Ruppert!

Current customer on contract. They gave me the HD DVR for $99 a couple weeks ago, install this week.

Dish is apparently giving their HD DVR away for free to new customers.

You got an upgrade for 99? are you saying your currently under contract and they did this for you?
If so Ill be calling them soon.

yes. $199 is the current offer for HR20 upgrade. I called and told them "I know people are getting this for $99, I want the same deal" and they gave it to me.

Charged me $199 in 3 payments, and -$100 on the first month.

I'm an "A" customer since I pay with CC (and paid full price 2+ yrs ago for the first HD box), though I'm not sure if that matters.

Its ironic that E is giving away there DVR to new customers. You say it is "Old" technology but it has features D doesn't have, like it runs 1 HDTV and a secondary tv any no $4.99 extra outlet fee. It is a duel tuner and can record 3 signals at once 2 HD and 1 Offair HD. It also can all run on 1 coax wire. It work:D s very well also. And unlike D who talks about HD content and "WOW" 150 channels comming, yea right and I also still beleive in Santa! Matter of fact I would beleive in Santa before Ruppert!
Isn't it Malone or something at this point.
Anyway, I am also waiting to see if D* actually delivers significant new HD content other than sports (I have zero interest in sports).

I was able to get mine for 99 bucks after i gave them the line from the Used Cars movie, "Thats too f**kn high"...LOL...but they were cool about it....i got it for 150 plus 60 bucks in 10 buck per month credit

What I want to know is with my current set up (5 LNB) can I just have them ship it to me and let me do it? I should not need to run anything else if I am just swaping it out.

Also I do not currently have a phone line, nor did I when I was installed, do I need one with the DVR?

Update:

I called today about an upgrade, I was told 299.00, but when I mentioned i had heardthey gave somebody a 3 payment deal they put me on hold then came back and told me I could have it like that for 199.00 so I asked about not upgrading and getting that price for just adding the box so I would have one in the bedroom, and they gave it to me.

Have to wait until until the 20th, but as long as some people have been waiting I guess that isnt too bad..

Well checked the website and NO the HD-DVR is not free. When is D* gonna realize that most people, when given the choice of paying $199 or getting a free one, most people are gonna choose free. They have to pay that much money and still agree to a 2 year agreement. If they would give it for free, their subscription rate probably would get a big boost. I want D* but I am not gonna pay $199, not own it and then commit to 2 years. I would however commit to 2 years if they had no upfront cost for the HD-DVR.

And when I go back to HD that is exactly what I'm going to tell them. I've been a D* customer since '94 and I'm just not going to PAY for them to be able to lease a box. It's not even a real lease as they aren't bound in any form or fashion, just us.

it's only a lease in the sense you have to give it back if you cancel early. what do you need it for if you cancel early anyways?

the $4.99 "lease fee" is the same $4.99 fee they have always charged for every extra box on your account.

I don't blame them for wanting SOME payment on it. Even at $199 they are selling them at a loss.

So based on what you are saying, after the commitment time period, you own the box free and clear?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts