Free Locals Status?

WTguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
I know Bell, maybe Shaw and at least one new company are/were trying to get approval to provide local channels free of charge. I recently found out one of my sister-in-laws will probably be moving to Vancouver or Toronto. If the beam reaches far enough south, then I may try to buy the equipment and get the service using her address. So I was wondering if this has approved yet? If not, any idea to a time frame? And will it include hd channesl? Thanks.

Don't hold your breath...

Bell had proposed this before the current FFC (fee for carriage) fiasco that is happening now. The next session with the CRTC (think FCC) is Dec.7 I think. It did not come up at the session that just ended. It has very little chance of ever seeing the light of day. Bell wanted to use their equipment as a bait and hook to add extra programming later.

Steve

Pretty sure Bell would still consider it account stacking and try to cut you off, not that it will ever see the light of day.

There will be no Freesat of Canadian locals. It was just press manipulation by a puppet of CTV/Global ahead of the start of CRTC hearings.

In a "freesat" system, stations pay the satellite provider for distribution. CTV/Global want it the other way around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts