Free Prodelin 6' Dish with non penetrating roof mount - Mandarin, FL

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep, the guy took it down, and then apparently didn't know what to do with it.
Disassembled in his garage.

Motorizing these beasts is a challenge.
They have a fixed mount.
You either need to come up with a standard BUD mount to put one on...
... or maybe do what Pendragon did and put it onto an AJAK 180.

But (hopefully) you all saw what Linuxman did with his (look it up!). :)
It made a magnificent multi-satellite fixed-dish Ku system.

I want the NPRM off one, now! Not the dish. ;)

..Motorizing these beasts is a challenge.
They have a fixed mount.
You either need to come up with a standard BUD mount to put one on...
... or maybe do what Pendragon did and put it onto an AJAK 180.

But (hopefully) you all saw what Linuxman did with his (look it up!). :)
It made a magnificent multi-satellite fixed-dish Ku system....

Thank you for the reminder of Pendragon's Prod/AJAK conversion, I just found that thread and got some great ideas there.

And Linuxman's 1.8 was actually sporting C and Ku LNBFs both, but you had the magnificent part correct! ;)

I drove over there for a 1.2 about a year ago. Might be time to go again! It's about an hour & a half east....:D

I drove over there for a 1.2 about a year ago.
Might be time to go again!
It's about an hour & a half east....:D
Is that all?
I go to lunch on weekdays with a guy who drives an hour & a half to work each day!
Go snag it, and brag all about it! - :up - ;)

Thank you for the reminder of Pendragon's Prod/AJAK conversion,
I just found that thread and got some great ideas there.
He and several others who have rigged up mounts for offset dishes, have built in a ~22° down-tilt to compensate for the up-look of the dish.

SatAV said something here, that should have been obvious, if we'd all thought about it:
Polar mounts have the declination adjustment as part of the mount (though I am trying to see the declination adjustment on this mount). Maybe that is why the op drilled new pilot holes in the top support?

Set the Declination Angle based on your installation location then adjust the elevation angle to compensate for the offset dish angle (Offset Angle + Declination Angle + Polar Elevation setting = the Actual Satellite Elevation Angle). The dish will track the arc in the same path whether prime focus or offset design.
Your AJAK or other mount might need extra elevation travel (downward) if you are up north.
Down south, maybe it's not so much trouble.
I don't know how close to the horizon a mount would go, when driven east or west, though.
Might be limited.?.
If this really works without drawbacks or loopholes, I feel stupid for not realizing it sooner. - :eek:

I have 3 of these dishes running. I love how overbuilt these Prodelins are designed compared to the hobbyist stuff available. No comparison. That ruggedness comes at at price of trying to convert one.

I just coughed up $100 for one of these. Kinda goes against the spirit of FTA being free like my other 12 dishes were.
But now that I have it home I'm overwhelmed at the polar mount project. Can you guys put up a few pictures or links of the ones you have done?

I just coughed up $100 for one of these. Kinda goes against the spirit of FTA being free like my other 12 dishes were.
But now that I have it home I'm overwhelmed at the polar mount project. Can you guys put up a few pictures or links of the ones you have done?

Here's a few to get you thinkin':

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/179034-primestar-1-2-dish-c-band.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/100414-new-project-primestar-polar-mount.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/237608-1-8-dual-axis-prodelin-conversion.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/184324-prodelin-1-2m-offset-birdview-h.html

Phlat,

Thanks for the links. A lot of stuff to think about there.

By the way, your screen name reminds me of a IF Transformer design.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts