Free upgrade to HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dervari

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Has anyone ever gotten D* to upgrade them to HD for free by threatening to switch providers? I could switch to E* and get a free HD receiver instead of having to pay D* $349, which appears to be a no-brainer. I'd like to stay with D* but might consider bailing to E*.

The E* freebie is rental only and D* is ownership and with much better products. You can try that tact depending on your length of service with D*, but its not really worth it.

I don't think that's a rental. I just went through the signup procedure and my monthly recurring would be $39.99 for AT120 w/locals and $9.99 for the HD package. There is no monthly equipment fee involved.

Even so, I'd be much more willing to lease a receiver for $10/mo rather than fork out $350. Even with a 2 year agreement, you're only out $240 when you're ready to upgrade instead of trying to pawn off two year old technology on eBay.

I don't know of anyone who got a free upgrade, but many (myself included) have gotten an HD upgrade for $99. There is plenty of info on how do this here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=337667&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Basically you need to call D* customer retention and tell them you want to upgrade to HD, but you could do it cheaper with E* or cable. What they offer you will depend on how long you have been with D* and how much your monthly bill is. Also it can pay to call more than once if you don't like what you get the first time.

Joe

Typically a $200 credit is what is being offered currently. That is what I got for my Mom's house upgrade.

Glad I got in on the $99 upgrade from the beginning of the year.

I got $100 off so far. Gonna wait a day or so and try them back again and shoot for at least $150.

Anyone use the SIR-TS360? They said that is what is being given now. Three things I'm looking for is...

1) HD and S-Video output concurrently
2) IR, not RF, control
3) DVI/HDMI port

Thanks!

Yes, I have the 360. It has been a great unit for me. Although for others it hasn't been. I think with the latest software patch it has resolved most of the issues that people were having however.

Yes on all three of your needs.

take the $99 deal. you will get a MUCH better receiver for HD thru DirecTV then Dish for this price. Do not switch providers!

Status
Please reply by conversation.