Freezups On Youtube on Premium Plus

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Every time I go into YouTube on my AzBox Premium Plus, after going into a couple of UTube Videos my AzBox freezes up and needs to be Rebooted to resolve the problem. Yesterday I had to reboot 3 times!! Is this a common problem with AzBox, and does anyone know why this happens as I have the latest Update ie 0.9.5309?

Is the acceleration feature on the "on" mode?

Sent from Epic Touch HD with Tapatalk

I would be extremely cautious about using the HARDWARE ACCELERATION feature. I have not been able to detect that it helps anything and it can damage your CPU. I had a brand new AZBox, had it set up and running and I turned that feature ON and it killed the AZBox right on the spot. I had to send it back to OpenSat to be repaired as it required an actual hardware replacement that I was unable to perform.

I have a couple of AZBoxes that operate fine with this feature set to ON, but they run hotter and I couldn't detect any advantage, so I turned it OFF. Also, if you have a HDD connected to the AZBox (internal or external) disconnect it before changing the setting of the Hardware Accelerator. I had a 1TB internal HDD installed which was nearly full of movies. It scrambled the whole HDD! So, power down and disconnect the drive. Power back up and change the setting and reboot the receiver. Then power down and reconnect the HDD. You don't want the HDD connected while you change this features setting.

RADAR

I sure don't use.. now more then ever I won't.

ICS HP Touchpad using Tapatalk HD

Every time I go into YouTube on my AzBox Premium Plus, after going into a couple of UTube Videos my AzBox freezes up and needs to be Rebooted to resolve the problem. Yesterday I had to reboot 3 times!! Is this a common problem with AzBox, and does anyone know why this happens as I have the latest Update ie 0.9.5309?

jsattv,

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any assistance on the YouTube issue. My internet connection via satellite doesn't play well with you tube. Even on my PC, it requires about 3 times longer than the song actually is for it to fully load and buffer. It is annoying. Attempting You Tube on my AZBox is frightful, so I have given up on that long ago. If I had DSL hookup, I would probably be using it.

But, anyway, I cannot provide any clues on what I do not use.

I did test it once more, just because I also have image (firmware) 0.9.5309 installed. It seems to be functioning much better than it ever did before. I can almost watch it and the picture quality is great!. I didn't detect any freeze ups, but I only loaded a couple of videos. One was 10 minutes long.

RADAR

I have accidentally hit the hardware accelerator when going through the menus... so far I haven't had trouble but I do not use it. One firmware update had this feature "ON" and I didn't notice for a while... but when it was on I could record high bitrate feeds from 97w until I turned it off again. It just overclocks the processor; faster processing = more energy used = more heat = eventual component failure.

I have also had to re-boot after playing U-tube stuff. Likely a buffer overload when switching to another application (like switching to satellite after watching U-tube). Try exiting U-tube to the menu and wait a 10 seconds or so before starting "satellite".

Thanks Cham & Radar and Pro 86. Trouble is when Azbox locks up on YouTube it usually won't go back to TV and ReBooting is the only solution. Internet Speed now is fairly good ie up to 650 kbits for wireless connection. Thanks for the Tip re hardware accelerator - I'll make sure it's off.

Well I played you tube videos for a while today. The first time I've used the feature. Only problem I have is I'm unable to set the content style selections. It indicates a key I don't have on my remote. The videos play well. I have an excellent Internet connection, and the AZBox is hard wired in my LAN. also using FW 0.9.5309 on my Ultra Had no freeze-ups at all.

Jsattv,

I will monitor my You Tube usage and try it more often in the future. Maybe I will duplicate your symptoms. I don't think that it is normal, though.
The freeze ups and having to reboot to escape. I have had that occur, but moreso because I was too anxious and pressed my remote buttons to quickly.
I found that if the AZBox does not respond immediately, I should wait 5 seconds or so and try again. That is not really related to your issue, but it the same frailty that is responsible for both may be the same cause.

RADAR

Jsattv,

I managed to duplicate a freeze-up on my AZbox Premium Plus with firmware 0.9.5309 using YouTube.

I watched one video clip, then I tried to change the category (MOVE CATEGORY) and it went off into never-never-land. When I tried to exit to TV mode, it went there, but wouldn't bring up the channel that I was last on or even my channel list. I tried to go to MOVIES and it wouldn't trigger the HDD to wake up. I had to reboot to get the box to respond properly.

After getting the TV satellite list and channels to pop back in and function properly, I went back to YouTube and tried searching for a specific song. It pulled up a list of songs, but when I tried to view and load one, it either gave me a message about YouTube filter blocking it or it sat there LOADING forever. When I tried to exit, it was locked up again. It would go to a new menu, like TV but it wouldn't load the channel list and it was just sitting there waiting. Had to reboot again.

RADAR

I played for hours, doing different searches. I experienced YouTube filter blocking and the "loading forever" symptoms on some videos. I finally froze-up once, but was almost sure I caused it with impatience. I was able to select TV but still had the frozen youtube video image on the screen. Reboot was required. I will no doubt use this feature more and keep an eye on what happens. So far I'm not unhappy with it.

Thanks for the comments Radar & Magic Static, I think a lot of the problem is related to the Internet Connection Speed and not so much the AzBox. I worked on Internet High Speed problems with Technicians at our local telco for years. Extra cable attached to and beyond the telephone line (Its called Bridge Tap) is usually the major problem, but my problem is due to my longer distance from the serving Telco Central Office. I have also had freezups / lockups on my Wireless Laptop and hard wired Desktop Internet connections, but long distances of over 3 kilometers (approx 10,000 ft) are not good for any high speed internet and are likely affecting my AzBox wireless connection. Some improvements have been made but the lockups still do occur. Ideal distance from the telco central office is less than a kilometer or less than 3280 feet for high speed internet, so unless the telco can in future install a new High Speed Cabinet in my area, I may have to switch over to the Cable Company for a faster internet and faster AzBox connections.

Last edited:
I suppose that 35,786 km (22,236 miles) on a one way trip is bad! LOL Yes, my requests have to travel 22K miles up and 22K miles down and connect with the server, retrieve the info and travel 22K miles back up and 22K miles back down and then buffer at my PC. That's 88,000 miles. By golly, you guys are a long ways away! Three requests from the server and I could have made one trip to the moon.

Actually, it is very surprising that it works this well. I am on Wild Blue satellite internet.

RADAR

I accidently got that HARDWARE ACCELERATION turned on and I had a hell of a time getting it turned off. Whenever I do a USB backup or restore I make sure that the HARDWARE ACCELERATION is turned off before I exit. Big, big problem.

I don't do You Yube, but I do have a simular problem with the Premiun Plus. When I go to another satellite and receiver and leave the AZ Box on then return to it the video is froze on the last signal I had. Sometimes it clears up by changing the channel, other times I have to do a reboot. Also, sometimes when it was been on sleep for a while and I wake it up the display will show the channel name I left it on but the video is dark and none of the functions work. I was turing off the power in the back, but have been told that is no good. The only way I can clear this and get it operational again is hold he power button on the remote down and force a reboot. I am sure this is not god either, but what can I do?

Hi Jim,

I am not sure if I understand your case regarding switching to another receiver and leaving the AZBox ON. What exactly are you doing there?

I have had my Premium Plus lock up and I couldn't escape from that condition without holding down the power button on the remote and forcing a reboot, either. I haven't found any other way to escape this condition myself, but so far I have, fortunately, never found any detrimental results. I think it is better than using the rear power switch, however.

RADAR

I am using the hard wire LAN connection for my Premium... maybe that makes a difference. I often get the youtube filter message "this video is not available in your country or region", but pick the next one and quickly go back and it often works... I did make mine freeze this morning after playing a youtube music video and quickly switching back to satellite; just got a dark screen. It re-booted after about 10 seconds by itself. Certainly a bug that we hope can be fixed in the next F/W release... Too bad we can't just load the Itunes youtube app... it works fine on the Ipad...
-C.

I am not sure if I understand your case regarding switching to another receiver and leaving the AZBox ON. What exactly are you doing there?

I now have the Quali TV back in operation so I don't have to use the AZ Box unless I have to. Say I am wtching ME TV on SES2 on the AZ. I decide to go over to G17 and watch a ballgame on the Quali. I leave the AZ Box on and still tuned to ME TV. When I go back to ME on SES2 the video image that was left on the AZ is froze. As I said, sometimes changing the channel will unfeeze it and other times I have to reboot to unfreeze it. I agree that using the the remote power button is better than using the power off on the back. I was just wondering if there a any ill effects by doing this?

Radar, Satellite Internet was always the slowest, but great for folks where no cables were available or installed. A few years ago Satellite Internet Speed was very dependent on the type / quality of modem used, but if you are getting decent good internet connections with Wild Blue, that is a bonus.

Also agree with Diamond Jim and others that previously when just Satellite Receiving I would get AzBox Lockups wiith Premium Plus but as you mentioned the Firmware updates seem to have helped. One other annoying item with AzBox was the changing at Random of the listings from channel listings by Numbers to Alphabetical, then having to press the Yellow Button (I think) to get back to channel listings by Number - has this ever been adressed by AzBox?

I now have the Quali TV back in operation so I don't have to use the AZ Box unless I have to. Say I am wtching ME TV on SES2 on the AZ. I decide to go over to G17 and watch a ballgame on the Quali. I leave the AZ Box on and still tuned to ME TV. When I go back to ME on SES2 the video image that was left on the AZ is froze. As I said, sometimes changing the channel will unfeeze it and other times I have to reboot to unfreeze it. I agree that using the the remote power button is better than using the power off on the back. I was just wondering if there a any ill effects by doing this?

Jim,

OK, but how are you switching between the AZBox and the QualiTV? Are they each connected to their own dish/motor system and you just switch the receiver output feed to the TV or PC? Or are you somehow switching the input (IF in signal) from the same dish system to one or the other (AZBox or QualiTV)?

The reason I ask is that I found that if the IF signal to the AZBox is broken off (like you disconnected the cable) the AZBox does seem to lock up in the manner you describe.

As for using the remote to force a reboot. Like I mentioned previously, I have not discovered any ill effects from doing so. I don't think it is the proper method, but then again, it should not have locked up in the first place. I am a lot more confident that it is safe now than I was previously since I have been required to do this from time to time over the years and it hasn't seemed to give me any troubles.

RADAR

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)