Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK time for the Friday FTA fun poll......get your thinking caps on. This one ya gotta think about :)

This one got me thinking a couple weeks ago. I went to our cabin and the Dish receiver fried out ( :( ) so I was stuck with just OTA. Well all we get there is 2 stations. PBS & CBS (in analog). Not much variety

So here is this weeks question......if you were only allowed 2 FTA channels, what would they be?

The only rules with this are
1. it has to be a channel that is unencrypted
2. feeds don't count :D
3. the channel has to be a channel that COULD be picked up in the US. Doesn't matter where in the US....so someone in California could pick a channel on Hispasat as example since some of us can pick that up :)
4. these would be the only two channels to view.....so you can't say "well I'd get these two plus my Dish box" ;)

so if you were only allowed 2 FTA channels, what would they be?

A toughie, indeed . I'd go for PBS HD on AMC3 and FOX Marquette on 123W . The Marquette station is close enough for valid weather reports, and has some sports, too. In the early 70's , when I was fresh out of the Army, we pretty much lived with PBS out of East Lansing. It CAN be done !

:)

I'd go w/ WNGS and any one of the FOX affiliates up there.

For my wonderful wife and me, that is easy. -- We went to Glorystar in the first place for them. Trinity Broadcasting Network (main TBN) and Daystar. We could even answer that question if it were, "what one program would we have to have?" Believer's Voice of Victory!

Montana PBS - Due to the educational programming on it, and the lack of commercials.

Fox - Marquette Michigan on 123W - I like the show "House" and Fox carries it. Plus Fox has lots of Nascar races.

well I guess I could get mine thrown in here

first one is ARCS...Alaska Rural Communications Service. They're on AMC8 C-Band but on a spotbeam so only Alaska, BC & Washington can see it (see point 3) ;)
They cherry pick stuff from CBS, NBC, PBS, My and Fox. Each night is different. So Monday night its Fox, Tuesday its PBS, Wed & Friday its CBS and Thursday its NBC. The newscasts alternate and they have MLB and NFL too...so you could get a few networks in one..no ABC though (see link as to why)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Rural_Communications_Service

second one would probably be WNGS since they have a fair amount of sports on there

I'd pick Galaxy 25 and AMC3...

Oh wait, you said two channels...bummer. :eek:

Ok,

1. EBRU for international spin on news, documentaries, interviews, lack of commercials, and overall programming.

2. PBS, same reasons as one (1), but closer to home.

If I lose those two, I will sell my system to a hacker, and put my head in the oven.

One of them I can't mention because it isn't listed on Lyngsat, but the other would have to be FashionTV due to the aforementioned reasons.....When is midnight hot on again???

This is a hard one. I get 4 OTA and the rest is my FTA system.
I spend most my TV time on the FTA. RTN would be missed but for a overall good mix of news, shows and movies I would have to say WSTV and Safe TV.
That mix would keep me pretty happy.

It's likely I would be out tweaking the dish in a blizzard in my shorts to get more channels just to see the best signal I can get and not ever remember what I saw on the TV, 3/4 of the fun is the setup and tweaking. Thats how bad I got the FTA addiction.:)

I would have to say, WKBW-7 Buffalo (it's an OTA channel though) if not only for the show LOST. The second channel would be WNGS-11 also from Buffalo, only because I have not actually seen METV (you know the grass is greener....or the programming better on the channel you do not get) and like the retro tv shows. The weird thing about this is I actually get these two channels (WKBW and WNGS) from antenna. WNGS is a sub channel of WKBW.

well I guess I could get mine thrown in here

first one is ARCS...Alaska Rural Communications Service. They're on AMC8 C-Band but on a spotbeam so only Alaska, BC & Washington can see it (see point 3) ;)
They cherry pick stuff from CBS, NBC, PBS, My and Fox. Each night is different. So Monday night its Fox, Tuesday its PBS, Wed & Friday its CBS and Thursday its NBC. The newscasts alternate and they have MLB and NFL too...so you could get a few networks in one..no ABC though (see link as to why)
Alaska Rural Communications Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ice, I may have mentioned this, but this was my only TV for awhile when I lived in Alaska -- when it was less-than-affectionately called "RATNET," aka the Rural Alaskan TV Network." It was interesting to say the least - shows would flip ten minutes late, they'd randomly flip in spite of what the schedule said, Sports might be tape delayed by 3-4 hours, the 10 watt transmitter would crap out so villagers would break into the transmitter room to reset the breaker. It could be rather amusing....and they always showed Star Trek whenever it was on a local channel.

Anyway, I'd have Al-Jazeera English for the news and Montana PBS for the Red Green.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts