Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Another early edition....and this one comes from a member :)
(by the way you can send me ideas for future FFFP's if you come up with one)

OK...no poll but a question....and get your thinking caps on...this weeks question

If you were given a full transponder on a Ku Satellite with a capacity of 10 video channels (or 100 audio channels - audio channels are 10 to 1 for bandwidth) and had free reign on what broadcast tv channels/ radio stations (not cable channels)from anywhere in the world you could put up in FTA mode, what channels would you put up there?

edit: couple thoughts....it doesnt have to be on satellite right now and if you select a radio channel then you can only have 9 video channels

Last edited:
1) CBS Newspath
2) Something like WNGS
3) ABC News Now
4) PeachTree TV
5) Yes Network
6) PBS HD Feed
7) PBS Create
8) PBS World
9) NBC National
10) Big Ten Network

My selections are prejudiced by baseball !
:)
[edit] Got rid of cable networks, and added a couple frequently watched channels. Unfortunately, not baseball related.

Last edited:
I would assume USA major networks would be excused, because they are already available.
Likewise, PBS is (or soon will be) readily available.

How 'bout some English off the BBC. ?
I don't know how many they have, but maybe less than five.

The all Castro channel certainly sounds good from all reports.
I can't get it here on the west coast, so I'm all the more curious.
But in the end, that'd be a toss-up.

However, if you wanted one place for all the American networks, then that'd be what, FIVE channels?
Okay, SIX with PBS.

I get all the major networks on local HD TV, so while they'd certainly be appealing to many, not so much for me.
That probably leaves me with spare room on my transponder... ;)

ok lets see.......now if we already have some KU stuff up there no need for redundancy

so...

1. CBC (obvious reasons...CBC kicks butt)
2. CBS (to give a CBS on KU)
3. NBC (again to give NBC to KU...now all nets are on KU)
4. ARCS (why the heck not?)
5. BBC (remember...it said "world")
6. WGN 9 (after all it is a OTA station)
7. Cubavision (the real version not the Int'l one. If you've seen both you know the difference...would make a haul on the west coast where 30W is not feasable)
8. WSBK 38 Boston (same reason as 6 + they show the 3 Stooges on Sundays...nyuk nyuk nyuk) :D
9. leaving blank for right now......unknown at this point..maybve we'd show hockey games on it all the time :)
10-1. a good classic rock station...maybe 92KQRS here in Minneapolis
10-2. classic country station..one that plays it all the time (thinking KKIN Aitkin, MN where our cabin is. They play some good classic country)
10-3. good classical music channel
10-4. CBC Radio one
10-5. BBC Radio 1
10-6. BBC Radio 2
10-7. National Public Radio
10-8. Hard Rock/Alternative station
10-9. Country station
10-10. Polka Station...I know you're thinking WTF but I grew up on Polka Music (Big German & Czech heritage where I live) at my grandparents on Sunday's and I still listen to it on occasion still on Sunday's. Be kinda nice to have it on more often

I am monolingual so my choices would be stuff that's in English but not available in the USA.

ABC (Australia)
NZTV (New Zealand)
BBC One, Two, Three, Four and HD (will never happen because of "rights" but sure would be nice to have)
BBC World News (maybe not eligible, does this count as a "cable" channel - in that case I'll take the "BBC News" channel, the domestic version)
CBC

Let's see, that's nine. There are probably a few more OTA stations in various other places that speak English, but I don't know what they are. Maybe something from South Africa.

The first thing that came to my mind was some sort of public access programming orchestrated through schools (all levels, including college) and transmitted from each location during their scheduled time slot to the uplink station, with some sort of guide included to indicate who/what/where/when for the rest of the world to enjoy.

WLUK FOX 11 Green Bay WI
Big Ten Network
WGN Ch 9 Chicago
WVIA PBS Ch 44 SWB
WTXF FOX Ch 29 Phila
PeachTree Network
WNGS RTN Ch 11 Buffalo
WBIF RTN Ch 51 Panama City FL
WPSG UPN Ch 57 Phila
Yesterday USA OTR

Generally influenced by baseball and football. I guess technically Yesterday USA isn't broadcast in the sense of an antenna but it is broadcast via the internet so I put it in (you didn't define "Broadcast" :) ).

If I was given a Ku transponder that I could use to truck in some tv stations/radio stations, my selections are fairly close to pepper's.. My picks are for channels that aren't currently available FTA on ku. (as far as I know anyways..)

Video Channels
1 - BBC One
2 - ABC (Australian Broadcasting Company)
3 - CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) - Just so that it is on FTA for people in rural areas.
4 - CBS Station - from Eastern Timezone - Preferably Florida for Hurricane Coverage
5 - NBC Station - from Eastern Timezone - Preferably Florida again ;)
6 - WGN - Chicago - lots of syndicated shows
7 - CTV - Winnipeg (Just so that CTV has a Ku Presense too.. Atlantic Satellite Network (CTV) is on C-Band)
8 - CityTV Toronto
9 - Leaving this one open - I'm sure I'll find something else..

Audio Channels
10-1 CBC Radio One
10-2 BBC Radio
10-3 Rock Radio Station from New York
10-4 Rock Radio Station from Los Angeles
10-5 Power97 from Winnipeg
10-6 96FM from Australia
10-7 Country Music Station from Nashville
10-8 NPR from anywhere
10-9 103.9 The Hawk from Woodstock Ontario - Just because I think that other people may like the station. They play old American Top 40 episodes as well as Wolfman Jack shows from years ago. I get this channel over the air
10-10 CFRB 1010AM from Toronto - so that the rest of North America can hear what people at the "Centre of the Universe" think. (ya - that's a poke at Toronto)

If these channels were all up on FTA, along with the current set of FTA channels, I would not have any sort of satellite subscription. I could live with these channels alone. With a couple Visionsat PVR receivers, I could PVR up shows for time shifting and to make sure that I didn't miss any shows that are showing at the same time.

Last edited:
If CBC was available FTA on either KU or C-Band I'd probably cancel my Starchoice subscripton

Because the sun never sets in the British empire , I start with English speaking networks abroad.

1. BBC ( gotta watch Doctor Who )

2. ABC ( Australia ) I heard they just beat America as most obese , must have good TV then.

3.CBC (CAN) Been awhile since I last watched Curling , but I remember the old analog C-band days and I enjoyed every province CBC channel.

4. SABC ( S.Africa ) They pay TV licence fees just like in the U.K. , I wonder what the penalty is . Anyone remember that Young Ones episode where they ate the TV.

5. NZTV ( New Zealand ) more Rugby , more ethnic Asian/Pacific cultures .

6. AFRTS - I remember watching this OTA @ GTMO BAY.

7. Venevision ( Venezuela ) Major TV Network - Original programming and Sexy Latinas .

8. Televisa ( Mexico ) Any of the Major Network Channels .

9. TVE ( Spain )

10. Gotta think about it ..... 10 Radio Stations , variety worldwide and 80's, 90's POP format radio , English/Spanish/French .

10-10. Polka Station...I know you're thinking WTF but I grew up on Polka Music (Big German & Czech heritage where I live) at my grandparents on Sunday's and I still listen to it on occasion still on Sunday's. Be kinda nice to have it on more often

I love hearing this music too.

Whenever I eat my favorites at the local Czech eateries , Breaded Pork Tenderloin , Sweet and Sour Cabbage , Bread Dumplings , and Goulash or Potato Soup.

Houby Day is this weekend , unfortunately most of the Czech heritage has aged and moved away.

WWL-TV/DT New Orleans CBS
WDSU-TV/DT New Orleans NBC
WVUE-TV/DT New Orleans FOX
WGNO-TV/DT New Orleans ABC
WNOL-TV/DT New Orleans CW

That takes care of the Big 4 from the Big Easy. I include WNOL CW since they are owned by the same entity as WGNO (These 2 stations were FTA on Ku for awhile following Katrina). Plenty of PBS up there already, no need for our 2 PBS stations. I'll also keep WHNO, WPXL, WUPL MyTV and KGLA Telemundo off the list so that I can include:

WWOR-TV/DT New York
KTLA-TV/DT Los Angeles
WGN-TV/DT Chicago
WPCH-TV/DT Atlanta (formerly WTBS)
WAFB-TV/DT Baton Rouge

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts