Just how big of a dish can a Stab HH90 really move?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I have a Stab HH90 motor that I have successfully used with a modified Alphastar 31" dish. It worked fine, but I have since given away that dish to a needy family and I'm looking to buy a new dish for myself. Right now I'm using a fixed DirecPC dish for Galaxy 18, but am itching to get motorized again.

Locally I've found a 39" Ariza brand dish for $65 including linear LNB. 39" if my math is right is just a little over 99CM - The stab HH90 I believe is rated for 90CM. Has anybody put a slightly oversized dish on the HH90 - is it working OK?

The same store sells 36" dishes for around the same price - and as everybody knows - Bigger is Better when it comes to dishes, so I'm thinking that I'm going to go for the 39" dish. I just don't want to smoke the motor on the HH90.

If you say that the Ariza brand of dish is light weight, then I shouldn't have any issues..

Thanks!

I've been reading and absorbing the FTA posts for several years.
In that time, I've paid attention to motors, dishes, LNBs, etc.
And, I've also researched even more years into the past, discovering many interesting facts.
( . . . some of which I've even remembered . . .) - :rolleyes:

While the number of users of HH90's is a lot lower than all the many incarnations of the 2100, the complaint rate has been tiny.
I'd feel comfortable putting a light weight 1m dish on my HH90
Only thing I might worry about, is how many years I'd already run it, and if it was nearing end of life anyway.
Doesn't sound like yours has been abused.

Given the price you found for the 1m dish, I would certainly go for it, at least over the 36" model.
This assumes the dish brand is to your standards, and the one you get is not warped.

You're not putting it up high into the winds, I hope?
That's rough on any dish and also on the motor.

Googling around, I've found some Ariza 39in dishes , spec'd at 6.9 kg ( 15 pounds ). That seems mighty light to me, and it's probably impossible to tell if they are the same model. 15 lbs is well within the weight range of the hh90.

Last edited:
I've got an Azira 36" dish on a hh-90 and it works fine. I used to use a 31" Alphastar that I copyed your idea to get it extended away from the motor so it would fit the motor. I went with a 36" in the spring and set the 31" at my sister's house as a fixed dish on G-18 so she could get more tv than just CBC. I'm happy with the extra signals I can get and my nieces and nephew are happy now that they get more than one channel.:)

I use my StarChoice 1m dish with a HH-90. I don't move it too often, but it has yet to fail me. I have reinforced the mounting bracket as it was bending when tightening down on the motor shaft. (adding even more weight) The Starchoice (Winegard) 1m is a larger dish than most 1m, and I have a Invacom quad on it as well.

Specifications
Mechanical
Optics Offset
Effective aperture 100 cm (39.4 in.)
Antenna height 114 cm (44.8 in.)
Antenna width 105 cm (41.3 in.)
Galvanized steel 18 ga.
Weight, antenna only 10 Kg. (22 lbs.)
F/D .59
Offset angle 24°
Focal distance 59 cm (23.11 in.)
Surface accuracy .020 - .024 in. ave.
Mounting options Universal
(clamp size 25, 35, 40, 50 mm)

With motors, one may work fine but the next off the assembly line may not be as robust and fail with the extra load.

The HH90 can move a lightweight dish without problems, I know for a fact that it was not reliable to move my Winegard 1m dish (a very heavy 1m dish)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)