From D* to Dish last week...DVR confusing.

Each Dvr has it's quirks to me the Replay and Dish interface's (and remotes) are a lot alike... the 921 went off on it's own tangent and Tivo is really strange (to me) I use Dish more, but the Direct Dvrs are much different and I can see why Dish Dvr's would take awhile to get used to...

How is it then that the Dish DVR is rated above all other DVRs? What features does the D* DVR have that the E* doesn't?

There are really too many to list, but one is when you are in the guide to record once you click once to record all click twice, another one is you can watch a live program and when the ads come on you can watch a record program, just by click back and forth like you would 2 live channels. Dish has many more steps to do anything than D has. I don't expect long time Dish users to agree with me. I just agree with the original poster, which is what he asked.

Each Dvr has it's quirks to me the Replay and Dish interface's (and remotes) are a lot alike... the 921 went off on it's own tangent and Tivo is really strange (to me) I use Dish more, but the Direct Dvrs are much different and I can see why Dish Dvr's would take awhile to get used to...

I really like the Replay best of all, too bad it has become useless unless you have cable

There are really too many to list, but one is when you are in the guide to record once you click once to record all click twice, another one is you can watch a live program and when the ads come on you can watch a record program, just by click back and forth like you would 2 live channels. Dish has many more steps to do anything than D has. I don't expect long time Dish users to agree with me. I just agree with the original poster, which is what he asked.

What if you only want to record the new episodes and not just this particular one or all of them? I either want this particular one or new ones. It's not often I want all episodes. With E* clicking Record brings up the screen to select once, all, or new. That doesn't seem like a lot of extra clicks to me, but I do understand where you're coming from.

I went from Dish to Direct quite a while ago now .. i said on the day of the switch that the Dish hardware is better ... (ability to record three shows at once, PIP, and the second room SD - even though i never used the latter two) but the software on the Directv box was more intuitive and easier to use/navigate than the dish DVR. I said it then - and i stand by it now.

(I was also called crazy by the Dish fanboys in here for not bowing to the Dish god)

It is indeed partly a "getting used to the box" thing - but part of it is because the software on the Directv Box is just plain better in my opinion. Simple as that.

Funny ,I felt the same way about Directv's dvrs. It took way to many steps to me to get a timer set. I could also never be sure if the shows I picked would record, because of what ever the damn receiver wanted to record seemed to be more important . I couldn't use pip with Directvs receiver. I also had a lot of operating problems , and I mean more problems than I ever suffered using DISH dvrs - Even those old boxes like the 921. I love DISH dvrs and I have 3 on my main account and 1 a piece on my other two accounts. I wouldn't mind if DISH and Tivo would work a deal to add even more features in the future.

I would agree the D* box is way more user friendly. Really easy to use. I was in the same boat when I first got E*, I didn't understand a thing ,and found it very difficult to navigate around my Vip 622. But now that I'm used to it I love it , It has a lot more features IMO then the D* HR boxes and seems more atvanced,and functions fantastic. You need to read the manual. Once you do that you'll be alot better off. Just for the record I refuse to give up my E* HD DVRs for anything D* has right now in they way of DVR's.

Autotune, Auto reminder , 4 custom favorites lists,ability to record 2 satellite,and 1 OTA at the same time, can add a USB 2.0 External harddrive for more recording capacity.

Hemi your pluses can also be negatives. It's nice you can only record one OTA feed at a time. The directv box can also have external drives added. If that is all the 622/722 has over the HR series, I don't see any huge advantage.

Hemi your pluses can also be negatives. It's nice you can only record one OTA feed at a time. The directv box can also have external drives added. If that is all the 622/722 has over the HR series, I don't see any huge advantage.
Who said anything about pluses? I just stated what was different. Atvantages are just opinions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)