FROM DISH: New 942 Information

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I will probably be all over this offer, but I have one concern? MPEG4

In 1 year when they are supposed to have MPEG4 up and running with possible new HD content and I want to get this new content, what becomes of this new 942?

I want to know from E* what will happen to my 942 and if its upgradable.

Paul

I currently have an 811, 508, and 301 under one of the older lease plans. It seems like the best deal for me is to return the 811 and 301 and lease the 942. Besides for the $250 upfront fee, my monthly fee should be unchanged since the $5 PVR fee would be offset by not having the fee for the 301 receiver.

I will assume that the 942 will need to be hooked up to a phone line to avoid another $5 fee like with the 522 and 322 receiver.

Hi snowcat, welcome to satelliteguys! That should be correct.

Paul, it looks like now that the MPEG4 switch is more than a year away. Maybe 1.5-2.5 years. So you're 942 will be useful for a while

BFG said:
Paul, it looks like now that the MPEG4 switch is more than a year away. Maybe 1.5-2.5 years. So you're 942 will be useful for a while

Are you basing this on just the recent announcement to buy Rainbow 1, or some other info I haven't seen?

Even though I paid $950 for my 921, I'd take an even swap for a 942 .

And if they have any brains, they'll see that in the long run, it will make financial sense to do this with all the 921's in service rather than to keep throwing money at supporting a buggy receiver using older software and platform.

Then again, who knows what bugs this one will have .

gpflepsen said:
Are you basing this on just the recent announcement to buy Rainbow 1, or some other info I haven't seen?

Based regardless of Rainbow 1. I think we're looking at a whole 'nother year to this point.

David_Levin said:
I general, equipment purchased direct through dish includes installation. If that forces a new lnb/switch then so be it. But, you can't choose what you get.

Are your receivers legacy? Then you could end up with a 2nd sw64 (the signals off a legacy lnb can be split to two switches).

They could take you to a DPP44, but there are other ways too... Bottom line, if the installation is included, it's not your problem.

I have an 811, 510, 508, and 501. 942 would replace the 811. I already have 2 lines running to my main tv. One for Comcast, one for Dish. I don't want to run a 3rd. Only other option would be to go with DP Lnbs, DPP44, and a separator?

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the forum, just getting my feet wet. We are building a home theater, we're probably 45-60 days out from being ready to launch. We are not currently a E* user - the 942 sounds perfect (assuming it's not too buggy). We want to drive a HD projector & a separate SD set.

So from what I read from Scott's first post, to get the 942 (as a new customer, we'll have to shell out $749, but we'll get a $5 credit for 30 months. We haven't decided on a package yet (haven't really researched it), but I'm wondering - does it make sense that we get another package now w/ a different (i.e. low-cost) receiver, then 'trade up' to the 942 at the $250 upgrade fee? I haven't looked into the prices of other receivers, so it might not make sense. I could always buy a cheaper receiver now (off of eBay or something) and get the service & then upgrade - does this make any sense?

Thanks!
Bets

Scott,

I currently have a Dish 500 (Dual LNB) pointing at 119 and 110, and a separate dish pointing at 148. I'm have a 508 (purchased) and 811 (leased) connected to this setup, and I'd like to upgrade to the 942 (to replace the 811 and continue leasing) soon as its available. What equipment do I need to purchase to upgrade to have 2 connections to the 942, and keep the 508 alive?

Also, did I understand you right (or maybe it was someone else that stated) the 942 has a HDMI output connection? I have both DVI and HDMI inputs on my Samsuung 46 inch DLP, and love to upgrade and utilize the HDMI if possible. By the way, I have OTA on the roof and I'm picking up well over 20 digital channels (including HD from Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, UPN, and PBS) from the SF Bay Area market, and all these channels are pulling upper 80s and low 90s in signal strength. This from my house deep in South San Jose. I'm currently the envy of my neighborhood, including many cable subs.

Thanks.

Jeff Blank
San Jose, CA.

betsy c said:
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the forum, just getting my feet wet. We are building a home theater, we're probably 45-60 days out from being ready to launch. We are not currently a E* user - the 942 sounds perfect (assuming it's not too buggy). We want to drive a HD projector & a separate SD set.

So from what I read from Scott's first post, to get the 942 (as a new customer, we'll have to shell out $749, but we'll get a $5 credit for 30 months. We haven't decided on a package yet (haven't really researched it), but I'm wondering - does it make sense that we get another package now w/ a different (i.e. low-cost) receiver, then 'trade up' to the 942 at the $250 upgrade fee? I haven't looked into the prices of other receivers, so it might not make sense. I could always buy a cheaper receiver now (off of eBay or something) and get the service & then upgrade - does this make any sense?

Thanks!
Bets

There are two ways to get Dish equipment. One way is the Digital Home Plan, where you lease the equipment. The other way is the Free for All, where you buy the equipment.

As a new customer, you can go either way. I highly recommend the lease plan, as it is much easier to get new equipment, and there is still no annual contract. If you go that route, you can get the 942 (and different combinations of other recievers as needed), for $250.

I talked to a few at Dish Today, and while it sounds like the 942 is just around the corner, truth is they have not started outside beta testing yet, and that beta testing is not expected to start for a few weeks.

I would be very careful after the dish 921

Scott Greczkowski said:
I talked to a few at Dish Today, and while it sounds like the 942 is just around the corner, truth is they have not started outside beta testing yet, and that beta testing is not expected to start for a few weeks.
and wait a good period until you are sure it is viable. Some people say it will not support Mpeg4, which is where dish says it is going. If you must get it, definitely lease it, because it may be obsolete in a year like the 921

I swear charlie has something up his sleeve...

If I was E* when we moved to mpeg4 I would offer the 942 owners an upgrade for 20 bucks, and then charge 350 or 400 for the owners without a 942. just to piss off all of the people who said that the 942 was obsolete from day one.

gpflepsen said:
What is the rate structure for using the 942?
$250 up front
$5 Lease fee (also includes extra receiver fee?)
$5 Extra receiver fee
$5 DVR fee

The DHA advertising will need to be updated if this is the case. Among the selling points Dish Network touts:

• No equipment to buy
  • Free DVR and HD equipment upgrades available
  • No additional outlet fee with dual-tuner receiver

Besides, the basis of DHA (among the rest of these points) is that it doesn't cost anything to lease the equipment (no monthly fee).

Scott Greczkowski said:

In Dish talk, that means the 942 is getting released in less than a few weeks, right? :p :D

Sorry! I couldn't ressist! :D

Echostar Release for DVR 942 said:
*Enabled by a future software upgrade
Most of us know this already, but any decision to purchase the 942 should not be based on any feature marked by the asterisks. So, as neat as DishComm and electronically-aimed UHF antennas sound, deciding on buying a 942 should be based on what works on the 942 on day 1.

With Scott's comment about the 942 not even being out to beta, we're probably still at least eight weeks away from seeing 942s in real customers' hands. And that would require Dish hitting the target right out of the box. While I would like to see that as much as anybody, waiting four years for the 921 has tempered my expectations.

Just a small note on the 942 and OTA tuners. Think outside the box, why would Dish want you to get free Locals thru their equipment, thru an off air antenna. Eventually, locals will become digtal and be transmitted via the Dish, thus eliminating the need for the 2 OTA tuners. Their will be no way to get out of paying extra money for locals. Charlie needs money for Starbucks, folks!

So, they don't now. So there should deffinetly be 2 OTA tuners. What a los to not be able to record another HD show while watching one :(

Offering an OTA tuner may take away from future income. I have thought of that on occasion. But it really doesn't affect them right now. They actually need to offer it to be competitive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts