From DISH on the Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) and DLNA

LER said:
does that include the DLNA stuff?

The statement from Dish says direct connect or HIC for the Joeys to have DLNA. To me direct connect means either net to router, not MOCA. Still seems pretty gray.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The statement from Dish says direct connect or HIC for the Joeys to have DLNA. To me direct connect means either net to router, not MOCA. Still seems pretty gray.

Yeah. I guess I'll have to play :).

As I said I can run an Ethernet cable around the room to the Joey if I really need it. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I think you mean ethernet, not "either net".

I asked Scott if he or Dish could clarify this this morning.

The line I just received from Dish Tech Support is that I need HIC for DLNA to work currently, but a software update at some point will work with all broadband connections.

I have a 2 Hopper (LAN to each) and 4 Joey (no LAN) system. If I understand this thread correctly, I would need one HIC on one Joey to get DLNA throughout my house. If so, will Dish send me a HIC for free if I was not given one during my install? Or do I understand correctly that the software upgrade allowing Hopper integration "should" allow this without the hardware?

I have a 2 Hopper (LAN to each) and 4 Joey (no LAN) system. If I understand this thread correctly, I would need one HIC on one Joey to get DLNA throughout my house. If so, will Dish send me a HIC for free if I was not given one during my install? Or do I understand correctly that the software upgrade allowing Hopper integration "should" allow this without the hardware?

Yes.

The HIC will connect to a client port on the Duo node, and then you can use the pass through as well if needed.

I don't think they will give you one.

It has been said a software upgrade will fix this.

Time will tell.

If your installer gave you their phone number, see if they'll drop one off. If not, then message DIRT and see if they'll arrange it.

GreeneDish said:

It has nothing to do with Hopper integration. It is just a bug in the software.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

It's possible they may give it too you for free. It's suppose to be included in the install if you need it.

nmoline said:
The line I just received from Dish Tech Support is that I need HIC for DLNA to work currently, but a software update at some point will work with all broadband connections.

At some point? At some point the 922 was supposed to have a web browser, sling receiver, and BBMP.

I'm going to give Dish the benefit of the doubt. I think, based on all the attention we are seeing from Dish, that the promises WILL be kept.

I really think they are trying to the right thing(s) here with technology, etc.

With a direct connect to Hopper – Hopper can access all apps, BB@Home, and DLNA
Negatory on the DLNA. The Windows Media Server doesn't see the Hopper, either.

- Joey can access all apps (EXCEPT DLNA HOME MEDIA) and BB@Home
Correct

To get DLNA to a Joey
- Need to direct connect the Joey OR use a HIC
Negatory. Other than the Joey stating it is connected to the LAN in Broadband settings page, the LAN connection does not actually do anything.

Many reports of DLNA not working – we are looking into it
Far more reports of it NOT working than working, at least on this forum.

I just got a HIC shipped to me for free. It arrived today. However since the spec sheets said it was wi-fi compatible I thought that meant I could connect my Hopper to the Internet though the HIC via wi-fi. That doesn't seem possible now that I got the device. I cannot believe the Hopper does not have built in wi-fi. That is beyond shocking to me given the technology these days. I used to use Home Plug but now that doesn't work with the Hopper and the wi-fi USB adapters are garbage, so I'm really struggling to get an Internet connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts