From Satellite Talk to a Thriving Community: SatelliteGuys Turns 20!

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
20th-logo-black.png

Hard to believe it was twenty years ago today that SatelliteGuys was born! The site was born after I was locked out of another site I helped run. Long story short the owner of that site was upset people were calling his site, Scott's site as I was the one bring all the Satellite News and Rumors. A number of folks encouraged me to start this site and well here it is. I didn't want the site to be about me though, so I named it SatelliteGuys with an S at the end and I wanted others to be able to shine. And over the years boy did we, with the success of our Voom Forums lead by Sean Mota and Ilya Vetrov, the amazing Free to Air Satellite sections led by the unmovable Iceberg and more. Hard to believe that within a few months of starting the site that thousands of people would follow us here.

Back then we were basically strictly Satellite Talk, with a mix of sports thrown in. We quickly grew into a site that people came to and trusted. I was proud when it blossomed into a place where members helped other members. And soon our forum lineup expanded where we now help people and talk about almost anything! Within months a few thousand people followed us over and we kept on growing.

When we started out the satellite companies didn't like us because we were leaking a lot of inside information but then over time they both embrased us. SatelliteGuys is now proud to host the DISH Beta program that has SatelliteGuys members help test new DISH Hardware and Software, plus we are now home of the DIRECTV Cutting Edge (CE) Program. I am proud that our members are helping to make satellite television viewing better for all.

Back then I was so good at breaking industry news that I was hired by MultiChannel News and had an online column which was one of their most widely read features. At times some of my articles were even published in the print edition and also in Variety Magazine (the same company owned both publications.)

When we started we started ad free, but then companies started offerering us money to advertise here, which I refused. In talking to members they told me I was foolish for turning down the money and talked me into accepting ads on the site, which honestly when I finally did it was a good time because this site was becoming very expensive to operate. We then rode the Internet Advertising wave and made a good amount of money. I remember when VOOM was around and their ad agency came to us and told me that VOOM wanted to advertise here. The ad agency told me that VOOM had a budget of $15,000 to advertise and to write them a proposal. Me being the idiot I am I sent over an invoice for advertising here for $200 a month (and I thought that was too much) and got a note back from the rep who was upset and said, make the invoice $15,000 and send it back to me.

What did we do with the money? We invested it back into the site and purchased a few servers for everything to run on, I hired someone to run the servers and the rest went back to our members. I don't know if people remember our holiday parties we had back then, but boy did we give back... and we gave things that were hard to get, major prizes like XBOX's, Playstations, TV's and lots more. When we turned 10 we even gave away an all expense paid cruise for two! We loved giving back to our members!

Then after that the internet ad market began to crash and the world of Satellite TV began to change. Thankfully while our expenses continued to climb and with our revenues going down we had the amazing support of our Pub Members to help us keep the lights on for all. Many of our Pub Members have been with us since the start. I honestly can't thank them enough for their support over the years! With the ad market going down and down and down, I will be honest I wasn't sure how we would keep things going yet the Pub Members always keep coming through. Speaking of Pub Members a special thanks to our Bartender Bobby, who has been the bartended in our pub since we opened it. I am sure that guy has stories!

Other websites have been through multiple owners over the years but SatelliteGuys has had just one. I do this because I love the technology, helping others and keeping a community like this going. I have had to learn a lot over the years including how to operate servers, do updates upgrades, and push the software we have to the limits. With me it is what you see is what you get and I think you all for putting your trust in me over the past twenty years!

But a website like this is only as good as the people who look after it and take care of it, and that is our staff. All of these folks have volunteered their time to keep the site friendly and spam free. They have worked so well that now the site operates like a fine oiled machine. I do miss the days of meeting the staff in Las Vegas at the CES shows. We had a lot of great great times. I honestly can't thank them enough.

I have met a lot of you over the years and I thank you for the friendships that we have formed along the way.

As we celebrate 20 years I also sit and remember members who are no longer with us. It saddens me to learn when one of our members passes away. But I was proud to know that they were SatelliteGuys.

Finally I would like to say a big thank you to YOU. There are lots of sites out there, and we now compete with bigger sites like Facebook and X, so we are proud that YOU call this your home and join us when you can. Thank YOU for coming here when you needed help or advice, thank you for coming here to catch up on the latest news, and thank you for helping others! Members helping members has been our best feature over the years, and we couldn't have done it without YOU.

I thought about offering Lifetime Pub Memberships for one day only today, but decided against it as I didn't want it to look like a money grab. But for those who do want to support the site, please feel free and the money will go to the next twenty years. To become a Pub Member please CLICK HERE or if you just want to send a donation please CLICK HERE. Thank you!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SATELLITEGUYS!

Last edited:

Hard to believe it was twenty years ago today that SatelliteGuys was born! The site was born after I was locked out of another site I helped run. Long story short the owner of that site was upset people were calling his site, Scott's site as I was the one bring all the Satellite News and Rumors. A number of folks encouraged me to start this site and well here it is. I didn't want the site to be about me though, so I named it SatelliteGuys with an S at the end and I wanted others to be able to shine. And over the years boy did we, with the success of our Voom Forums lead by Sean Mota and Ilya Vetrov, the amazing Free to Air Satellite sections led by the unmovable Iceberg and more. Hard to believe that within a few months of starting the site that thousands of people would follow us here.

Back then we were basically strictly Satellite Talk, with a mix of sports thrown in. We quickly grew into a site that people came to and trusted. I was proud when it blossomed into a place where members helped other members. And soon our forum lineup expanded where we now help people and talk about almost anything! Within months a few thousand people followed us over and we kept on growing.

When we started out the satellite companies didn't like us because we were leaking a lot of inside information but then over time they both embrased us. SatelliteGuys is now proud to host the DISH Beta program that has SatelliteGuys members help test new DISH Hardware and Software, plus we are now home of the DIRECTV Cutting Edge (CE) Program. I am proud that our members are helping to make satellite television viewing better for all.

Back then I was so good at breaking industry news that I was hired by MultiChannel News and had an online column which was one of their most widely read features. At times some of my articles were even published in the print edition and also in Variety Magazine (the same company owned both publications.)

When we started we started ad free, but then companies started offerering us money to advertise here, which I refused. In talking to members they told me I was foolish for turning down the money and talked me into accepting ads on the site, which honestly when I finally did it was a good time because this site was becoming very expensive to operate. We then rode rode the Internet Advertising wave and made a good amount of money. I remember when VOOM was around and their ad agency came to us and told me that VOOM wanted to advertise here. The ad agency told me that VOOM had a budget of $15,000 to advertise and to write them a proposal. Me being the idiot I am I sent over an invoice for advertising here for $200 a month (and I thought that was too much) and got a note back from the rep who was upset and said, make the invoice $15,000 and send it back to me.

What did we do with the money? We invested it back into the site and purchased a few servers for everything to run on, I hired someone to run the servers and the rest went back to our members. I don't know if people remember our holiday parties we had back then, but boy did we give back... and we gave things that were hard to get, major prizes like XBOX's, Playstations, TV's and lots more. When we turned 10 we even gave away an all expense paid cruise for two! We loved giving back to our members!

Then after that the internet ad market began to cras and the world of Satellite TV began to change. Thankfully while our expenses continued to climb and with our revenues going down we had the amazing support of our Pub Members to help us keep the lights on for all. Many of our Pub Members have been with us since the start. I honestly can't thank them enough for their support over the years! With the ad market going down and down and down, I will be honest I wasn't sure how we would keep things going yet the Pub Members always keep coming through. Speaking of Pub Members a special thanks to our Bartender Bobby, who has been the bartended in our pub since we opened it. I am sure that guy has stories!

Other websites have been through multiple owners over the years but SatelliteGuys has had just one. I do this because I love the technology, helping others and keeping a community like this going. I have had to learn a lot over the years including how to operate servers, do updates upgrades, and push the software we have to the limits. With me it is what you see is what you get and I think you all for putting your trust in me over the past twenty years!

But a website like this is only as good as the people who look after it and take care of it, and that is our staff. All of these folks have volunteered their time to keep the site friendly and spam free. They have worked so well that now the site operates like a fine oiled machine. I do miss the days of meeting the staff in Las Vegas at the CES shows. We had a lot of great great times. I honestly can't thank them enough.

I have met a lot of you over the years and I thank you for the friendships that we have formed along the way.

As we celebrate 20 years I also sit and remember members who are no longer with us. It saddens me to learn when one of our members passes away. But I was proud to know that they were SatelliteGuys.

Finally I would like to say a big thank you to YOU. There are lots of sites out there, and we now compete with bigger sites like Facebook and X, so we are proud that YOU call this your home and join us when you can. Thank YOU for coming here when you needed help or advice, thank you for coming here to catch up on the latest news, and thank you for helping others! Members helping members has been our best feature over the years, and we couldn't have done it without YOU.

I thought about offering Lifetime Pub Memberships for one day only today, but decided against it as I didn't want it to look like a money grab. But for those who do want to support the site, please feel free and the money will go to the next twenty years. To become a Pub Member please CLICK HERE or if you just want to send a donation please CLICK HERE. Thank you!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SATELLITEGUYS!
Great job Scott. Happy Birthday

:birthday

It is coming up on ten years as a member for me. I try to check in here at least once a day. I have made some good friends and have been helped many times with questions. When I could I've had the pleasure of returning the favor by helping others. It is a great community we share and I hope it continues for many more years! Thank you Scott!

19 years, 364 days ago I came from a different site and had no idea if this site would be around long. Most everything I may have learned and know about DISH came from discussions here over the years. When I lived in Connecticut I was invited with others to Scott's house for barbecue's and we would see the latest equipment coming out and have a great time. People showed up from quite some distances!

Through it all Scott has been there, personally answering questions and a spokesman for Satellite TV and other technologies. He indeed has seen this site expand into more than Satellite talk ensuring it remained vibrant.

Congrats Scott on 20 years, and a salute to your Wife who also has been involved over the years and was so cordial when we came to your home.

19 years, 364 days ago I came from a different site and had no idea if this site would be around long. Most everything I may have learned and know about DISH came from discussions here over the years. When I lived in Connecticut I was invited with others to Scott's house for barbecue's and we would see the latest equipment coming out and have a great time. People showed up from quite some distances!

Through it all Scott has been there, personally answering questions and a spokesman for Satellite TV and other technologies. He indeed has seen this site expand into more than Satellite talk ensuring it remained vibrant.

Congrats Scott on 20 years, and a salute to your Wife who also has been involved over the years and was so cordial when we came to your home.
Thanks, but that was not my home, it was my dads place. My house is a big hill, makkng it impossible to do movie night outside. :)

Thanks for being here! :D

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 10.17.55 AM.png

I am so happy that I made the decision 20 years ago to the day to join up on the then brand new SatelliteGuys.US website. It has been a go to many times a day place for me to learn, teach, and just plain hang out. We have a great place here! Thank you, Scott, for putting it together and keeping it going for all these years.

Scott, you have been a leading light in the satellite world for a very long time -- longer than pretty much anyone I know! When this site launched, I'd only been with DIRECTV for about a year and I depended on it for the best in news and views! I'm so honored to have brought a little bit to it.

Congratulations on 20 years and here's to 20 more!

After I subscribed to (then) Dish Network, 20 years ago, I went to the internet to find a site that could help with info, news, help and I found both that other site and this one. I signed up with this one and started my Pub member donations within the first 2-3 months of being here. It's a great place with a lot of great people whom, while I've never met any, feel like I know some pretty well. Thank you, Scott for setting this site up two decades ago and Happy Anniversary!!!

I can't believe 20 years have Passed! I still remember being really upset at that other forum for banning you since you did all the work, and the guy running that other forum basically did nothing. I joined this forum on the first day, and it has been my favorite online forum ever since. Thanks!

A special thanks to Dfergie and KE4EST who have been my right hand men over the years. I can't thank them (and all the staff past and present) for all the work they have put into this site!
You are very welcome Scott! This is the only site that I visit every single day and have for years. I consider it my baby same as you.