From Turner Broadcasting Inc.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
"So what it boils down to is this. If you mostly like those high tier channels and want them for a decent price 4D is for you. If you want those basic channels? well cable and pizza offer them. Actually what most of basic cable shows is crap or infomercials so I don't miss them. Between my FTA and high tier 4D channels, I have more than enough entertainment to watch and enjoy :)

Amen! With the 4DTV you can pretty much pick the channels you can AFFORD. And the FTA C and Ku bands offer many great channels that is FREE!
While on the pizza pan, I was paying nearly $80 a month and most of the channels I do not watch. Now I have the channels I want for almost $10 a month and plan on on expanding some more!
And still be way under $80 a month!!!
Oh, I failed to mention the OTA channels, too.
I am very content...[/QUOTE]

From what I understand from sattalk, ala carte is going away when Motorola shuts down because ala carte is too costly to implement (according to what I heard).

From what I understand from sattalk, ala carte is going away when Motorola shuts down because ala carte is too costly to implement (according to what I heard).
That's just propaganda. Companies like packages because they can charge you lots of money for 80 channels when you only watch about 15.
If you could pick just the channels you wanted they would be losing profits.

When I was in a cable headend recently got to look at receivers and Cnn, Turner etc were using SA powerview receivers. I do not think they care about supplying single consumers just the big boys.
Need to visit Atlanta, Ga and the turner building guarded better then the White house. I wanted to talk to a satellite tech but was not part of payed tour.:confused:

They use Scientific Atlanta D9850 IRDs with the Turner logo on them. Those IRDs are part of the "Turner" pool of PowerVu IRDs that only Turner will authorize. They are really great IRDs though for regular DVB services if you have a mini cable headend setup in your house. I have one I use for DW-TV and it's rock solid stable. It's been running for months. There are pools for not only Tuner, but E!, AETN, Lifetime, and Rainbow to name a few. All have a specific broadcaster logo on the IRD, and the broadcaster will only authorize IRDs that have their logo on the IRD.

How much does Turner charge for access to their channels via a SA IRD? I did not realize that they would authorize a box for a end user such as one at home.

> I did not realize that they would authorize a box for a end user such as one at home.

Your misinformed.

Turner WILL NOT authorize an SA / Cisco receiver for home use.

They WILL NOT sell programming to the individual.

If you own a hotel, or multi-tenant establishment then you can apply to get their programming. If you would like an application I am sure I have one around here I can send you.

Master broadcast signals will never again be available to the public

Probably true, with all the dumbasses we have running around. Pizza is all they know. A select few of us know better, but we are too few in numbers to keep this (masters sub) going.

I was quite happy with the old analog single channel per transponder setup, but again due to misinformed public we have bought in to this digital Bullsh!t. Digital can be, but usually isn't utilized properly to create an excellent picture. The providers know they can pack more per transponder/channel plain and simple and people think it should be better so they don't think anymore of it.

A little off topic, but I wonder how far into the future is digital-only FM radio? I suspect not too far if again they can "sell" it. I would also suspect they will figure out how to charge us for all this too. And, my final thought...

Why in the hell are we paying for channels that have commercials? Doesn't the commercial pay for the programming?

Oh yeah, that ended a long time ago didn't it?

The big push by the National Association of Broadcasters to implement IBOC (Digital radio / Also known as HD radio) is to put an end to pirate radio broadcasters. The equipment and software licenses required to do IBOC are very expensive and the license is watched like a hawk.

Last edited:
I hear all this crying about how it cost too much for a transponder to use it for FTA. Yet I spent the last couple of days with my rotor and on one of the sats there are 2 channels that are nothing but a live feed of some beach with surfers. Like that brings in a lot of money. The channels where both called Microspace.

Digital just means more money$$$ for broadcasters. True that digital could be excellent but like previously mentioned-it's not really used for that. Cramming more lower quality images and sounds into a tiny space of bandwidth losing quality and adding compression artifacts.
Look at Sirius ans xm radio- ever listened to any of those services on a high end audio system? The highs are muddy, tinny, and you can hear all kinds of digital slurring noises. The better your system...the worse it sounds. Just like putting pizza dish receivers on big tv's.

Many mp3's even encoded at 128k and 192k sound a little unnatural to me. How long has it been since anyone has heard a clean analog recording? These kids cranking up that digital noise-it's my opinion those nasty unwanted harmonics will take your hearing out faster. I know a loud clean recording does not seem to cause any auditory discomfort but loud digital does.
Of course when I say loud I do t mean 120db. Around 80 db spl.

Turner

I got to visit a head end and yes the receivers have a logo. POWERVU was the main brand. I have noticed that outside USA SA has been compromised possibly because consumer boxes are used. I have noticed ta trend on "C" band more unscrambled DVB channels ? Could be a trend to save money. :D

In regards to the Microspace mux, the Huntington Beach webcams had me puzzled when I first came across them. first thought was "oh how neat, a beachcam, and thought might be some cute girls walking around" but then second thought was, "wow, what a waste of money"

Then we took the kids school shopping at the mall, went in Hollister, there it is, the Huntington Beach cam on an array of tv's on the wall.

So it would appear Hollister is paying city of Huntington Beach CA to uplink these beachcams to add atmosphere to their (overpriced) stores. Maybe if they dropped the uplink prices would come down? Yeah right.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)