Frustrated with regular Voom box booting...

TVH

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
It seams like after we received the v726 software update on our Voom box, we have to consistently re-boot the Voom box. In the past two or so weeks, we have had to boot our Voom box almost every night. It just locks up and we can not tune into any channels. My wife love the addition of HGTV and Food but the box was much more stable for us before the additional channels and v726 update. Anyone out there with similar lock ups? any suggestions to keep it from locking up so often? Thanks, Tony.

Edited: saw the thread about lock ups in the Help Desk forum....please disregard.

TVH said:
It seams like after we received the v726 software update on our Voom box, we have to consistently re-boot the Voom box. In the past two or so weeks, we have had to boot our Voom box almost every night. It just locks up and we can not tune into any channels. My wife love the addition of HGTV and Food but the box was much more stable for us before the additional channels and v726 update. Anyone out there with similar lock ups? any suggestions to keep it from locking up so often? Thanks, Tony.
Make sure your turn off CallerID and disconnect phone line. Known problem with 7.26 http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=38339

Just saw your edit. Let us know if this corrects your problem.

My experience has been the opposite. Prior to 7.26 I was rebooting often - since 7.26 only a few times once I disconnected the phone line/caller ID thing.

That's interesting that some people reboot more before and some after the 726 update.

Since I am one of the "after" type, I will turn off the Caller ID feature and unplug my phone line. That's too bad. I hope they fix this issue soon because my wife likes the Caller ID feature.

Thanks guys for replying....

Mine hangs all the time as well, and I have caller ID disabled and no line connected. Frustrating.

Has anyone determined if the issue is with the DVI connection to the TV? VOOM indicated to me that some Sony systems have a DVI reboot signal that causes reboots and other issues. Sony does not seem to know or care.
I disconnected the DVI connection and ran with just video connection, was much better but not perfect.

Anyone with simular issues??

I have a Sony LCD and don't have issues through DVI connection. Make sure to disconnect the the phone line from the stb. This seems to be the major problem for the reboot.

I have a SONY KP57WS520 and I have connected with DVI to HDMI and component with reboots required with either connection. Cannot not attest to anything prior to 7.26 software release since the updates were applied upon installation(Dec 04). I have tried three receivers since 17 Dec 04 and have multiple reboots almost everyday. Do not have telephone cable installed and caller id has never been activiated. I would assume it to be 7.26 release related IMHO

I agree with rmunson2, I am on my 3rd receiver, 4th on the way, last time STB went through constant reboots, phone line is diconnected.
Past STB have locked during turn on of Sony KP57WS500. VOOM indicates that most of the replacement receivers are "repaired" units. I have requested a "new" unit. Will be here in a few days, I will let you know results.

Does DirecTV & Dish have simlar problems with HDTV, I may choose to switch if problems don't get resolved.

I reinstalled my Voom equipment 2 days ago since they never came and got it. My receiver updated to 7.26. I have caller ID off and phone line is not connected. I have had to reboot the receiver 3 times in 2 days due to lockups. At this point I am really really frustrated with Voom as a company and the Motorola crap they use. I love the HD but this is ridiculous! 6.20 was much better!!

I took advantage of the "3 room special" in the beginning of December. After getting the upgrade on all boxes the first night, I have not had a single lockup OTHER than when I tuned to an OTA channel that wasn't really there.

So other than that, my boxes have worked flawlessly for the past 1.5mos. All three of them. Based on that, I'd be really skeptical that it was the software update, as every box out there would be having problems, unless it's a rev compatibility issue where some of the older rev boxes have trouble with the new firmware.

Sorry you folks are having troubles... have you been able to associate the lockups with a particular set of actions yet?...

Lob

lobstah, you are lucky! i have to daily reboot 2 of my receivers because of lockups...not really a big deal for me! i mean all your doing is pushing a button and in a few seconds you are vooming again. my main receiver does not lock up but it will not allow me to use any features in the installtion set up mode. i have phone lines connected to all and the caller id function activated...although it doesn't seem to work most of the time. i am a patient man and hope voom gets all these problems solved, remember they are relatively new in this business and we must give them a chance. the picture quality is amazing and well worth every penny IMO!! : :D

snaggerbob said:
lobstah, you are lucky! i have to daily reboot 2 of my receivers because of lockups...not really a big deal for me! i mean all your doing is pushing a button and in a few seconds you are vooming again. my main receiver does not lock up but it will not allow me to use any features in the installtion set up mode. i have phone lines connected to all and the caller id function activated...although it doesn't seem to work most of the time. i am a patient man and hope voom gets all these problems solved, remember they are relatively new in this business and we must give them a chance. the picture quality is amazing and well worth every penny IMO!! : :D

you might want to disable the caller id until a new update this has been a problem since the new update and cause this boxes to freeze up.

I have phone line connected from day 1 but no caller id in my house. No problems with box locking up with new software. There does not seem to be any consistency with this problem.

Shelly

shelly said:
I have phone line connected from day 1 but no caller id in my house. No problems with box locking up with new software. There does not seem to be any consistency with this problem.

Shelly

yeah that why you are not have trouble with your your call id is disabled .

Also, as someone pointed out, if you have DSL, make sure to install that filter provided with your DSL modem before connecting to the STB.

FYI: VOOM already has a new version that reportedly fixes CallerID and Lock-up issues. It will be pushed to everyone once the testing is complete. I don't have the date yet.

I recently subscribed to Caller ID and enabled this feature on two of my STBs - it works just fine for me...no freezes, lockups, etc. I think this feature was added just to ensure people hook up to the phone jack.

Ilya, can you please verify if the Caller ID pop-up box will or will not show up when recoding a program to the DVR? I would disable Caller ID pretty quicky if it did.

Thanks...

riffjim4069 said:
Ilya, can you please verify if the Caller ID pop-up box will or will not show up when recoding a program to the DVR? I would disable Caller ID pretty quicky if it did.
No, it will not show up on the recording done with VOOM DVR, if that's what you mean. (The pop-up will show up, if you are using a third-party SD DVR, of course.) In VOOM DVR recording is done with compressed MPEG-2 (MPEG-4 in the future)-encoded signal, the way it comes from the satellite or OTA. Caller ID, menus, etc. are added after the decoding stage. So, there is really no easy way to save those UI features as part of the image, since there is no MPEG2/4 encoder in the box, as far as I understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)