Frustration of phone people

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont get why you'd ask D* about what satellites to see when we could have told you that info :)

As for the equipment, Stonecold is right. D* doesnt know what model you'll get. The installer would the day of the install. When I got D* everyone said get a R22 as the SD DVR its better. I ended up with a R15 which was OK (compared to nothing) but I ended up buying (leasing) a R22 a month or so later.

There is no guarantee on what equipment you will get.

We're trying to help but as noted in the 1st post, you already called everyone stupid. Larger businesses go through employees like some people go through underwear. I've worked with 3 larger corporations (a telecom provider, a wireless provider...they sell the iphone, and an insurance tracking center) and they go through people all the time. When I worked at Cingular (right before they got merged) I worked in business receivables. We collected money from biz accounts that were past due. I small business the average tenure of a rep was like 3 months. I made it a year and that was like some big woo hoo.

Bottom line is CSR roulette can be your friend :)

Iceberg, I'm not sure but I think you just explained why the directv employees in question might, in fact, not be very bright. ;)

I think everyone got a little too hung up on the 'stupid' thing. But maybe it is a little dumb for directv to not have a system where they can tell you what equipment you're going to get or allow you to specify equipment, or tell you who is going to install your equipment.

Once again, this is just a customer communication issue. If you're a customer agent and a customer asks you questions you cant answer, "I'll find out and get back to you" or "Let me give you a number/web site/email for someone who can answer those questions" or "Our system doesnt do that, but if you call back tomorrow we can tell you who the installer is and you can call them to verify what equipment they can bring", are all perfectly good responses.

After all, stupid is as stupid does, right? ;)

I think everyone got a little too hung up on the 'stupid' thing. But maybe it is a little dumb for directv to not have a system where they can tell you what equipment you're going to get or allow you to specify equipment, or tell you who is going to install your equipment.

Once again, this is just a customer communication issue. If you're a customer agent and a customer asks you questions you cant answer, "I'll find out and get back to you" or "Let me give you a number/web site/email for someone who can answer those questions" or "Our system doesnt do that, but if you call back tomorrow we can tell you who the installer is and you can call them to verify what equipment they can bring", are all perfectly good responses.

After all, stupid is as stupid does, right? ;)

1) People got caught up on the 'stupid' comment because he's making a claim against human beings he's never spoken with about something to which he's not privy. Is it a bad system? Yes, but critique the system not a person getting paid sheckles to hear you get angry at their company. (which is most CSR calls) He had no information, the CSR had no information they were able to give and he's pissed because they didn't fluff a response; essentially lie to me or I'm angry and then I'll be angry I was lied to.
2) Fortune 200 companies have gaping holes in communication as they generally don't want front-line turnstile employees to have access to things that aren't pertinent to their specific job. (Too much info = high talk time = $$$)
3)Most CSR's don't have a phone they're allowed to outbound on.
4)Most call centers don't want you to call back as the agents are penalized on your calling back.

I agree that it's a bad situation and you're taking a lot on faith that they'll deliver what you've asked but there's no reason to get angry at a person who is trying their best to help. If the information isn't available you have to assume the person isn't outright lying to you. It appears defensive on your part (OP).

Hmm, I guess I got stuck on the fact that none of the information he asked for was that complicated, I dont think anyone said anyone was 'lying' or even that there was any rant/anger. Guy just asked a couple of reasonable questions and got no answers and wasnt handed off to someone who could answer them. I think I'd call a system that handles customers in that manner pretty low on the brightness scale.

1) What about my suggestion that he get elevated or referred to someone who could answer the questions? I dont see any reason to lie or give a fluff answer. Should be pretty basic CSR training: if asked a question you dont know the answer to or cant get, refer the customer to xxx, transfer them to yyy or if you're in a panic for no obvious reason, call your supervisor over. Sure, you dont want to pay all your front line people 80k a year to answer the really tough questions like "who is going to install this" or "can I have the good equipment instead of the 4 year old stuff?" But someone ought to be around thats competent and gets paid enough to care.
2) Fine. See #1. Have someone available to answer the questions.
3) Fine. Transfer or refer the customer to someone who can.
4) Now thats stupid. This is my problem with most customer service metrics, is that they produce a system where servicing the customer isnt the #1 concern. A lot of times I get off the phone with someone and after thinking about things for a while come up with another question or want to know more information. Theres no reason why calling back should be a black mark. Shoot, when I've managed customer facing businesses like Directv's, I welcomed every opportunity to talk to the customer, solve their problems, answer their questions, make them feel good about the service i was providing, and shoot...sometimes they even bought something or stuck around as a customer for a while longer.

Think about this another way. You see an ad for a 50" lcd television for $750. You call the number and the guy cant tell you what kind of tv you're going to get, who is going to bring it out to you, or when they're going to bring it out until after you order. Cant answer any of those questions and just says his system doesnt give him that information. Are you whipping out your credit card and placing your order?

Think about this another way. You see an ad for a 50" lcd television for $750. You call the number and the guy cant tell you what kind of tv you're going to get, who is going to bring it out to you, or when they're going to bring it out until after you order. Cant answer any of those questions and just says his system doesnt give him that information. Are you whipping out your credit card and placing your order?

No but I don't sub D* and I don't demean people for doing the job they're asked to do in the manner they're asked.

Ok bashers here's what I finally did.

I looked on the DirecTV site and looked under "Find a Retailer" at the bottom of the page. (Gee maybe DirecTV could have suggested that in the first place)
Drove down to Silverdale, WA (20 miles) and walked in the front door and there was an actual person there. A nice lady and her husband were running the business. She answered the phone and did the office work. He did the installs and field work.
They actually seem to care about me and were interested in my questions and gave me immediate answers to all of them. (Can you imagine?) They weren't smart asses and they didn't have attitudes. They told me what they had in stock and would reserve an HR24 for my install tomorrow afternoon, if I chose to subscribe. They even gave me a couple of different dish mounts so I could build an adapter plate to mount it where I wanted. They did not ask for a deposit for these mounts, they actually trusted me !!! (And I was just a stranger off the street) I had come with some digital calipers and a tablet to take measurements. But was told "No, take it home, that's why I brought it out to you."

How refreshing.....
They have my business for as long as they want it.
Y'all should take lessons

Glad you found a local retailer. I got the run around by trying to order online and through outsourced installers. I got myself a local retailer who is taking care of business.

well thats great that you found a retailer. In most cases the retailer WILL know more than D* directly since they only have to deal with local people

I checked the find a retailer...you know what they gave me for a retailer here in Minneapolis suburbs?
Ultimate Electronics...AKA Former Audio King

yeah....I got a better chance of getting info right from D* directly :)

But thats good that they are coming out with the HR24

Ok bashers here's what I finally did.

I looked on the DirecTV site and looked under "Find a Retailer" at the bottom of the page. (Gee maybe DirecTV could have suggested that in the first place)
Drove down to Silverdale, WA (20 miles) and walked in the front door and there was an actual person there. A nice lady and her husband were running the business. She answered the phone and did the office work. He did the installs and field work.
They actually seem to care about me and were interested in my questions and gave me immediate answers to all of them. (Can you imagine?) They weren't smart asses and they didn't have attitudes. They told me what they had in stock and would reserve an HR24 for my install tomorrow afternoon, if I chose to subscribe. They even gave me a couple of different dish mounts so I could build an adapter plate to mount it where I wanted. They did not ask for a deposit for these mounts, they actually trusted me !!! (And I was just a stranger off the street) I had come with some digital calipers and a tablet to take measurements. But was told "No, take it home, that's why I brought it out to you."

How refreshing.....
They have my business for as long as they want it.
Y'all should take lessons

Big difference. She knew what we had given her in the back. I could notated cand call and harass that poor woman about an hr24 for you but you know what I have no way of controling what they give you. as long as you order hddvr you will get a hddvr. Too many people here make a big deal about model numbers. I just recently got a hr24 not because I ask for it or demanded it. I actually asked for a hr20 but when the tech showed up he had a hr24+am21 for me. I dont see the difference I yet to experience this mind blowing speed everyone thinks it has. It just as slow as my HR22s.

I am glad you found a local company. I am glad they are willing to hold an hr24 off the side for you.

Also if you ever have a question I be more then happy to help you out on it first, as long as you ask like an adult and not a child. Because it people like you, who give customers bad names. Just a FYI repeated agent abuse ( profanity / calling them stupid etc ) will lead to use charging 5 dollar fee for calling us. We do not put up with customer abusing agents. Just keep that in mind when you call. and you will end up calling.

Big difference. She knew what we had given her in the back. I could notated cand call and harass that poor woman about an hr24 for you but you know what I have no way of controling what they give you. as long as you order hddvr you will get a hddvr. Too many people here make a big deal about model numbers. I just recently got a hr24 not because I ask for it or demanded it. I actually asked for a hr20 but when the tech showed up he had a hr24+am21 for me. I dont see the difference I yet to experience this mind blowing speed everyone thinks it has. It just as slow as my HR22s.

I am glad you found a local company. I am glad they are willing to hold an hr24 off the side for you.

Also if you ever have a question I be more then happy to help you out on it first, as long as you ask like an adult and not a child. Because it people like you, who give customers bad names. Just a FYI repeated agent abuse ( profanity / calling them stupid etc ) will lead to use charging 5 dollar fee for calling us. We do not put up with customer abusing agents. Just keep that in mind when you call. and you will end up calling.

I'm not sure that he called the CSR's stupid, I think it was just US here .... :confused:

Didn't know you were looking for recvrs, if you want a HR20, I've got two HR20-700's working great, I love them, but I like the new set up too.

Fwiw, the HR24's are faster working internally.
I can see a difference as soon as I go into the other room and use the HR20-700.

If ya want to swap one out, let me know !

I'm not sure that he called the CSR's stupid, I think it was just US here .... :confused:
Jimbo read the OP's 1st post 1st line
"Do they get these people from a stupid farm? They know absolutely nothing about the business they are in."

For the record to the OP, you should know that MOST CSR's don't know much about the business they work with as they are phone banks with a very specific focus and usually work from a script. They are not engineers or techs and even when you get to those "techs" on a phone call they are mostly 1st line support; also usually working from a script, just a bit more detailed script

Last edited:
Just a FYI repeated agent abuse ( profanity / calling them stupid etc ) will lead to use charging 5 dollar fee for calling us. We do not put up with customer abusing agents. Just keep that in mind when you call. and you will end up calling.

What about when the CSR abuses the customer? Can we charge $5? :rolleyes:

For the record to the OP, you should know that MOST CSR's don't know much about the business they work with as they are phone banks with a very specific focus and usually work from a script. They are not engineers or techs and even when you get to those "techs" on a phone call they are mostly 1st line support; also usually working from a script, just a bit more detailed script

There is actually very little scripting except where needed.

Ordering equipment - there is a mini script you have to save so they understand it is a lease and it would extend them by 24 months

Making a payment though an agent there not a script but you get in trouble for not reminding the customer it is 5 dollars if they pay though a agent.

There are support tools which are not verbal scripting but help remind us of things, like there a tool that has every possible reason for getting 771 SFSS ( searching for Satellite signal ) Which as if it on one tv or all tvs , is it on one channel or all channels and few other things they then gives a list of things to double check . Tech csr actually go though alot of training .

To answer you question if a agent called someone stupid that be strike one they do it again there fired. We have 2 strike policy.

Greg, I think you'll find that directv has built its customer service arrangements to be inexpensive and save money, and that they apparently dont want to take on the cost and complexity of more detailed connections with their installers, even though it would result in a substantial improvement in customer satisfaction.

They'll also completely miss suggestions for improvement that include specific action items, defend their process and wont take constructive criticism.

The local retailer is, on the other hand, running an actual business that whether they know it or not depends on your satisfaction. Some of these guys (like the one you found) are great and do what it takes to help you out. Some of them are embittered by the cheap prices directv pays them and want you to kiss their ass before they'll do the job properly. But at least you can check out a couple until you find the one you want, unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)