FSTV on Galaxy 18 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Most (all?) set-top boxes automatically adjust FEC.

Not the AZBOX and some commercial receivers and I'm sure there might be some earlier release consumer DVB-S2 STBs that also need to have all the various parameters inputted rather than being able to auto-find FEC and pilot, etc.

I beleive you have a birdog , check its spectrum analizer and make sure you see that signal over at 11840 , its new location. the birdog will not lock S2 signals but you can peak by maximizing its peak on the spectrum analizer (although your BER approach on DVB-S signals is a better and less subjective one). 0 BER (before Viterby) means a 100% perfect link, you get that!, then forget about Strength, CNR , SA peaks or anything else, you already have the idela digital link , no errors so no need for error correction(although it is applied so that way the equipment calculates BER). PSK are types of digital modulation , the higher the order (QuadraturePSK, 8PSK , 16PSK, 32PSK) the more difficult to lock due to phase noise and FEC is the Forward Eror Correction (1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 ...), the closest to 1 , the more difficult also to lock the signal due to less error correction info in the stream.

Can you try a different S2 tuner though? Maybe for some odd reasson your PC Card is playing games with you?, it happens often. I remember it was finicky for me with the 6 footer but in my case it should be tracking, alignment or feed setup since a 1.2 meter is more than enough for Ku, specially a commercial Andrews!. I do not think you should adjust anything beyond BER=0 with a 1.2 m on Ku. I have a Viewsat receiver that refuses to lock TVE mux at Hispasat , every other including other Viewsats , work fine on the same setup.

I have a small problem here.

My birddog meter is one of the first models, it doesn't have a spectrum meter in it, it's not the USB model.

I was trying to configure a file to upload into it for 11830 and 11840 and there is no provision at all for anything except DVB-S and QPSK. The FEC options are very limited too.

I don't see any way possible to make either one of my two DVB-S only meters find the S2 signal. :(

Attachments

• 2011-08-12_152158.jpg
    2011-08-12_152158.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2011-08-12_152204.jpg
    2011-08-12_152204.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 2011-08-12_152212.jpg
    2011-08-12_152212.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 2011-08-12_152150.jpg
    2011-08-12_152150.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 118
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!

Ok. I borrowed my folk's Openbox S9 tuner.
I carried the tuner out to the dish.
The dish I am using is a 1.2m Andrews and the LNB is a Norsat.

I used the Openbox to find and fine tune FSTV on 11840/1784.
I adjusted the tilt, skew and side to side until I got the highest signal I could. (The OBS9 does not have a meter for BER and my handheld meter doesn't tune S2 so setting BER isn't possible for me with what I have on hand.)

On their tuner the channel comes in great. Yay! Right? Maybe not.

So I go inside and tell the stupid pc to scan Galaxy 18, 11840/1784.

NO SIGNAL. BS!! :mad:

I tried changing the FEC to everything it offers, I set it for auto, I tried EVERYTHING and the pc tuner refuses to see the frequency.

It does scan and find the other channels on 123 including a few "unlisted" channels. ;)

So I thought maybe it can't get the signal through my wiring in the house. So I disconnected the wire from the pc and put my folk's OBS9 on the wire. BOOM! There it is like a boss. It comes right in, just fine, no problem.

I put things back and try again and the stupid pc refuses to see it.

I'm using that c**ppy app My Theater. :mad:

Apparently this very outdated software can't see this frequency just like it can't see any of the LPBS channels either. :mad:

I don't know yet if it's just the app, if it's my tuner card (I doubt that) or maybe both. I don't know.

So I thought I would try other apps.

Sichbo just craters out like Hiroshima, it won't work at all, tons of error messages and prompts to report the errors and I can't make the error boxes go away no matter how much I click them. I uninstalled this app. :mad:

Progdvb does not allow you to do S2 unless you shell out $$$ for the "professional version". I did figure out how to tell it I have that 8 way switch so it did see the satellite and it scanned it. Partially. It ignored the S2 channels of course. I uninstalled this app. :mad:

I found another one called DVBdream but I haven't tried that one yet, I'm recording a show and it will have to wait until later but I don't expect anything good to come of it either.

I took some screen shots of my folk's OBS9 tuning in FSTV. However the info button doesn't get you any technical details like if it's seeing an S2 signal, what the FEC is or stuff like that. All it gives you is the frequency and the symbol rate. :(

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is that STUPID app, My Theater compatible with the FSTV signal?

Thanks.. :(

Attachments

• IMG_4791.resized.JPG
    IMG_4791.resized.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_4792.resized.JPG
    IMG_4792.resized.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 163
  • OBS9-3.jpg
    OBS9-3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 165
  • OBS9-2.jpg
    OBS9-2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 151
i highly doubt it has to do with mytheatre and more to do with your tuner. arent you using a tt-1600? if so enuff said.

crackt out,.

DVB Dream does NOT work. It doesn't like my switch, no matter how I configure it. The list is getting smaller and smaller very rapidly.

I wish they would flippin fix the Azbox problem! I'm at the end of my last raw nerve with this PC mess... :mad:

dream works with ur switch dee.... it dosent do s2 unless u pay for it tho.... mt is pretty much the same thing as dream

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts