Status
Please reply by conversation.

W_Tracy_Parnell

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 19, 2005
South of Buffalo NY
I am proud to say I am the newest member of the free TV club. :D The TV I watch is nothing but FTA and C band-my wife will have Dish Network in the bedroom. Any others here with free TV on at least one TV?

yeah, I have 10 TV's in the room. One has analog and DirecTV overflow, one tv has Dish Network supers and locals and G10 MPEG 420 overflow, one TV has DirecTV, another TV has analog and DirecTV overflow, one TV has 422 MPEG, 3 TV's have DirecTV exclsuviely, 1 TV has 420 MPEG exclusively, the big TV gets DirecTV, analog and 422 MPEG digital.

I have 2 TV's that have free TV - either 420 on one or 422 on the other. The other 8 have different combos, but I can go up to 5 now if needed like during college football. I have 2 analog receivers I could hook up that are collecting dust to make it 7 if needed. :)

All we have is FTA and OTA Free TV.

We get all the g10r channels (great stuff)

CBS, NBC, and PBS comes over OTA.

All routed through the house via a cat5 (computer) network. (all of our "tv's" with the exception of the 32" in the Living Room are computers. Our FTA signal comes in through the Satworks (living room tv) and DVB Card (which is then multicast across the network to the other computers).

All in all we have 5 computers (one for each room + 1 in the Living Room, and 1 in the Kitchen), 1 projector, and 1 32" JVC TV, all with only "free tv".

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Any others here with free TV on at least one TV?

me :)

computer room has G10KU/G4 C-Band only
my bedroom has G10/G4 with the OTA diplexed in

living room is really the only place that has more than just FTA and that's StarChoice. That has a couple FTA setups and the SC box and the DIsh 811 (not subscribed...using it for OTA digital TV)

I have 3 (1 tv, 1 LCD, 1 CRT projector), 4 if you count the computer. The computer only has OTA, the other 3 can receive any of OTA, Dishnet, 4dtv, or any other ITC satellite signal from C-band or ku-band.

Al

2 out of our 3 tvs are exclusively FTA, the third is FTA / c band ala carte channels.

I have a computer that's OTA/FTA, although I do use it to play the occasional file across the network that was captured from 4dtv. All my actual TV's have 4dtv and FTA.

Except for about a half dozen c band ala carte channels our sets are completely fta. The 3 c/ku dishes and the single 1M all run into a central distribution point and then remote extenders control the receivers from each location. Im often amazed at the number of stations that are listed as subscription that are ITC or free preview mode on the c band side.

Last edited:
sdoradus said:
Except for about a half dozen c band ala carte channels our sets are completely fta. The 3 c/ku dishes and the single 1M all run into a central distribution point and then remote extenders control the receivers from each location. Im often amazed at the number of stations that are listed as subscription that are ITC or free preview mode on the c band side.

That's exactly what I would have-about 5 or 6 ala carte if possible. Oh well, working my way up toward it!

I was going to say something about MikeI but I can't figure out whether to feel sorry for him or jealous. 10 TVs in one room!

Have you guys been noticing many more FTA channels becoming available over the past year or two or is the number of channels (english speaking) about the same as it was in the past?

Pepper said:
I was going to say something about MikeI but I can't figure out whether to feel sorry for him or jealous. 10 TVs in one room!

It's jealousy, admit it. We all feel it.

Stargazer said:
Have you guys been noticing many more FTA channels becoming available over the past year or two or is the number of channels (english speaking) about the same as it was in the past?

Some come and some go-I would say about the same.

I had only OTA and FTA when I was in TX. Had to move CA and Comcast forced me to get basic cable for getting internet. Now I pay for OTA channels through Comcast. I can't go for DSL internet, since I have only VOIP phone and no land line. If I do not take basic cable connection, still I will end up paying whatever I am paying now for internet + cable, just for internet. I could say I am still a free TVer :)

EDIT: Apologies, Don't want to hijack the thread......(This triggers another question. How much everyone spends on TV+Telephone+Internet per month? I spend $40 for Internet and basic cable, ~$10 for VOIP telephone and ~$15 for international calls to my home country=$65)

Last edited:
Zero said:
EDIT: Apologies, Don't want to hijack the thread......(This triggers another question. How much everyone spends on TV+Telephone+Internet per month? I spend $40 for Internet and basic cable, ~$10 for VOIP telephone and ~$15 for international calls to my home country=$65)

Cable Internet $55
Dish Network (for wife) $25
Local Phone $23
Cell Phone (for wife) $15

well, I am now totally OTA & FTA for right now :)

I disconnected my StarChoice subscription yesterday.

Strictly OTA and FTA myself as well. I snipped my ties with cable once I got into FTA approx 18 months ago. Of course I had to have the "God" package which was internet and the whole shooting match HD, movie packages and sports. Cut the ties and now that $140 a month goes to:

$20 for DSL
$20 for Unlimited internet addon to my Cell

The other $100 per month goes to my FTA addiction and other misc toys!!!

I am very satisfied with my current programming and HD content that I get OTA and via FTA. My war room looks like NASA now, and I can now afford to play and tinker as needed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)