FTA and/or Free C band Only

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep. Did it for a few reasons
-SC is going to be raising their packages in September
-No new Red Green shows (this season was his last)
-WWE Raw moving from TSN (which means my pricing would double to $40 to get the package to see it)
-conversion rate isn’t as good anymore. When I first got Canadian TV, it was 68 cents on the dollar. Now its 90 cents
-When I first got Canadian TV, I didn’t know about FTA :D

Man, it kills me that The Red Green Show is ending. I just discovered it last year. Maybe they'll release the whole series on DVD eventually.

I've been planning a move to all-FTA for quite a while now. I still have a ways to go, as I want to do it right. I'm a Linux geek, and my ultimate plan is to have a multi-tuner MythTV setup receiving FTA satellite, OTA TV and internet streaming video "TV channels," all displayed on my TV through my modified XBox.

So far, I've got:
  • a big honkin' outdoor OTA TV antenna that pulls in 11 channels or so reliably
  • a big old Primestar dish (but no motor yet)
  • a DBS receiver card
  • a WinTV PVR-500 dual-tuner OTA card
  • an HD-3000 ATSC tuner card
  • an XBox that network-boots Linux (Xebian) using etherboot
At this point it's mostly just a matter of putting all the pieces together and tweaking a bunch of stuff until it works the way I want it to. I just keep getting distracted by other things. Of course, my ultimate system would include multiple dishes, including a 12' C-band BUD! I've dreamed of owning one since I was a kid. Heh... I'm such a geek.

Until I get all this assembled, I'm spending about $90 a month on DirecTV. I know I'm going to get fee-raped when I cancel my DTV service, too, but hey, I'll eat the cost of sending back the receivers and early-cancellation fees (if they even still apply - I can't remember) if I have to. I'm done paying for crappy entertainment. I get way more enjoyment tinkering with computers and satellite gear than I do from the stuff I receive anyway.

I converted to free TV about a year ago. I was paying $50 a month to watch a few channels on Dish net , which I had for 8 years. So, now we have fta and ota tv. We just bought a HD TV and almost went to cable, but found that we could get Fox,NBC,and CBS over the antennia. So, decided we would save the money. I haven't figured how to get HD, If you can, on KU. I will never go back! This is to much fun, and my wife likes it!

I see a DVB card in your future. That or a Pansat 7000 HD when the price comes down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts