FTA c band still available?

I just looked at Dr. Sat's product list and only saw Azbox, Geosat, Manhattan, Digiwave and ShawDirect. I don't see anything that would imply TOS enabled. I think Engima based devices are just as suspect.

I just looked at Dr. Sat's product list and only saw Azbox, Geosat, Manhattan, Digiwave and ShawDirect. I don't see anything that would imply TOS enabled. I think Engima based devices are just as suspect.

It's not necessarily the hardware itself that could be "suspect," its illicit software installed by third parties.

Would I be able to use my same 8ft Sami dish or would I need to purchase an entire KU band setup?

I can't recommend that dish for KU. It's far better to have a dedicated offset KU dish MADE for KU, then to retrofit certain C-band dishes for both band. There's usable ku dishes everywhere, if you look around. Then you can purchase good KU lnbfs for $15 or so.

Try to get at least a 1 meter dish, don't try to use a small Dish Network or Directv dish. Though some of their largest dishes can work well.

SatelliteAV has the Geosat Pro 90cm dish + SL1PLL LNB for $99 shipped. That's a REALLY good combo. It was my first Ku dish and still the best.

36 Inch 90 cm Free To Air FTA Satellite Dish & HD LNBF | eBay

I guess I should ask would it be more worth it to get my c band dish up instead of buying another setup? I already have the pole, 8ft dish, and some cable. Will need a new LNB and possibly motor (not sure since I haven't used it) and a receiver. Plus its currently just taking up space not being used.

I guess I should ask would it be more worth it to get my c band dish up instead of buying another setup? I already have the pole, 8ft dish, and some cable. Will need a new LNB and possibly motor (not sure since I haven't used it) and a receiver. Plus its currently just taking up space not being used.

That's really up to you.

If you already have most of that stuff, it makes sense to concentrate on getting that up and running instead of starting with a KU dish with more costs.

However, as I already mentioned above, don't start buying stuff before you do a good site survey. If you can't get a good location for your pole, it would be a waste of money to spend anything.

A good LNBF is around $40~, and a good C-band dish actuator motor (if bought new) is going to run you around $149~ ((do NOT buy one of the Chinese clone motors that are real cheap. They are JUNK!). Though it's typically very easy to rehab even 20+ year old actuators, if you have or can get a used one. Then you have to find something to control THAT, and AFAIK, Titanium's ASC1 is around $175. Or, you can use the motor controller from an old analog receiver, but you'd then have to do all the dish moves manually with that receivers remote. Then there's GOOD coax, which means solid copper-core at a minimum. I use quad-shield for everything, personally.

As you see, it can get costly quick unless you become an exceptional sat equipment scrounger, like most of us have learned to be, LOL. Once you start looking for them, it's likely you'll see stuff everywhere, and just ask people. You'd be amazed what they'll be happy to let you have. Don't ever offer money up front, ASK and go from there. Some people have the strange idea that their 35 year old $4,000 system that hasn't worked in 25 years, is still worth that much money. It's not... Don't give them any encouragement...

To date I have never set up a small ku dish. I don't see the wisdom in setting up ku first. I jumped straight into C Band with the help received from this forum. ;)

Find a good spot that hits most if not all the arc. Closer to the house saves money on cable, but not always workable. Get that pole cemented into the ground correctly. Make sure it is tall enough for a larger dish in the future. Let the cement cure a week.

Run GOOD coax. Buy a receiver if you don't have 1 already. Order a titanium lnbf.

Mount that 8 foot dish as a stationary dish until you can get an actuator, motor cable, and control box. You will need a metal bar in place of the actuator arm. Scrap angle iron with mounting holes drilled in it works well. (You could probably get by with a good solid piece of hardwood on that 8ft dish temporarily) One hole in END of bar attaches to the mounting ring. The other hole will need to be spaced at whatever distance puts the dish at the zenith.

I would choose 97W, 99W, or 101W as my first 'bird'. But it depends on what YOU prefer to watch.

This forum can help you set the lnbf skew and other variables when you get that far along.

Watching 1 Sat is better than none for now. Enjoy.

Keep on the lookout for a 10ft or larger dish. You may find an old actuator that is still usable, but not as likely. Add needed components like actuator, motor cable, and control box gradually when possible.

This would be the cheapest/easiest way to start IMHO. The only part that will become redundant later is the steel bar.

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I wanted to update and let everyone know I’ve decided to move forward with setting up my 8ft Sami dish. I did a site survey with a few sat finder apps and looks like I have a decent clear view of most of the desirable satellites.

So I know this isn’t going to be easy or some quick process but definitely want to make it happen.

I’m looking into ordering an LNB as the one on it isn’t going to work plus the cable with the extra part for the polarity switch is very expensive and not worth the hassle so I’ll go with one with an integrated polarity switch.

I’m looking into Titanium Satellites products and came cross Titanium Satellite - Store

Would that do the job and work for my needs? It seems the polarity switch is internal and uses the normal cable to operate. Not sure if I need the WiFi and radar filter (I’m about 30 minutes outside of a big city) and everyone around me has WiFi so figured it may be an issue? Any advice? If that’s not the best option what would be for getting c band fta channels?

I attached photos of the current setup for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 30A95BDA-8146-4710-B03D-928906C75A9F.jpeg
    30A95BDA-8146-4710-B03D-928906C75A9F.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 5459F4D9-FF13-4CA3-96C5-5B005A7FDB3C.jpeg
    5459F4D9-FF13-4CA3-96C5-5B005A7FDB3C.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 1DB55146-6824-42D9-8DC9-329A49FC15F7.jpeg
    1DB55146-6824-42D9-8DC9-329A49FC15F7.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 301
  • D86DB68F-4BF3-456C-8F6C-0A7C19B4E93F.jpeg
    D86DB68F-4BF3-456C-8F6C-0A7C19B4E93F.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 303
  • E9B7FF20-A1A8-41DD-8058-BEBF235A9EAF.jpeg
    E9B7FF20-A1A8-41DD-8058-BEBF235A9EAF.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 290
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I wanted to update and let everyone know I’ve decided to move forward with setting up my 8ft Sami dish. I did a site survey with a few sat finder apps and looks like I have a decent clear view of most of the desirable satellites.

So I know this isn’t going to be easy or some quick process but definitely want to make it happen.

I’m looking into ordering an LNB as the one on it isn’t going to work plus the cable with the extra part for the polarity switch is very expensive and not worth the hassle so I’ll go with one with an integrated polarity switch.

I’m looking into Titanium Satellites products and came cross Titanium Satellite - Store

Would that do the job and work for my needs? It seems the polarity switch is internal and uses the normal cable to operate. Not sure if I need the WiFi and radar filter (I’m about 30 minutes outside of a big city) and everyone around me has WiFi so figured it may be an issue? Any advice? If that’s not the best option what would be for getting c band fta channels?

I attached photos of the current setup for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks in advance!

That Titanium LNBF will work perfectly for you. At the moment, I'm using the exact same one on my SAMI dish. Just be aware that it's a single output, so can only be used with a single receiver. If you ever think you want to add a second or more receivers, you MUST purchase the dual-output version of that LNBF. Also, use the SATGUYS SAVE code in the checkout basket, and you'll save 15% off the price!

That Titanium LNBF will work perfectly for you. At the moment, I'm using the exact same one on my SAMI dish. Just be aware that it's a single output, so can only be used with a single receiver. If you ever think you want to add a second or more receivers, you MUST purchase the dual-output version of that LNBF. Also, use the SATGUYS SAVE code in the checkout basket, and you'll save 15% off the price!

I second this. That LNB has fantastic performance. It's all you need; the receiver does the rest :)

Is this the dual one that can support two receivers? Titanium Satellite - Store

Thanks for pointing that out! Also which receiver do you recommend? I know that’s a heated topic usually but figured I’d ask. Also I’m assuming I’ll need a dish mover box that works with the receiver as well? Is there any that are integrated? Seems like there’s not a lot of options for dish mover boxes which is why I’m asking.

Thanks for the discount code!

Is this the dual one that can support two receivers? Titanium Satellite - Store

Thanks for pointing that out! Also which receiver do you recommend? I know that’s a heated topic usually but figured I’d ask. Also I’m assuming I’ll need a dish mover box that works with the receiver as well? Is there any that are integrated? Seems like there’s not a lot of options for dish mover boxes which is why I’m asking.

Thanks for the discount code!

Yes, that's the newest dual one. You'll be able to use two receivers, OR with a switch, more than that. As for receivers, there's all sorts of them. If you just want a good one easy to use, there's the Amiko Mini H265 available here: Welcome to Michael Electronics

As for dish movers, they are really limited right now. Either the Titanium ASC1, OR you'll have to find somebody that has a Vbox or Gbox that's willing to sell one to you. They just aren't available new anymore in the USA except for the ASC1. There are NONE integrated with FTA receivers.

I think it is worth being able to access both C and Ku band.

Living in the mountain time zone, most network shows, including nightly news, are delayed one hour. I watch NBC and ABC shows without the delay, an hour earlier than otherwise available. We watch news daily at 4:30.

NBC is available via C band and Ku band. I usually watch the Ku signal on 103W because there are 12 NBC news channels that are easy to flip to and often find live feeds of various events. Fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts