FTA for NFL games?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

black3000gt

Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
pennsylvania
I am sorry if this is a repeat of previous posts, but i am very confused. I have just been screwed by FIOS and i am looking for a way to view out of market NFL games this season. I am confused as to what i need to make this happen, if it can happen at all. I am reading some things about using the internet and other requiring a 30" plus dish. Can someone please help out a newbie with some direction? Thanks

I am sorry if this is a repeat of previous posts, but i am very confused. I have just been screwed by FIOS and i am looking for a way to view out of market NFL games this season. I am confused as to what i need to make this happen, if it can happen at all. I am reading some things about using the internet and other requiring a 30" plus dish. Can someone please help out a newbie with some direction? Thanks

There may or may not be....we don't talk about what we may or may not find in an open forum. That's how gets things scrambled.

But in the past, its been very hit and miss. If I were an NFL junkie, and had to have any game I wanted all the time, I'd have Directv. :)

Sorry.

I am sorry if this is a repeat of previous posts, but i am very confused. I have just been screwed by FIOS and i am looking for a way to view out of market NFL games this season. I am confused as to what i need to make this happen, if it can happen at all.

In order to "make this happen" you need to sub to D* and order NFL Sunday Ticket. Plain and simple. With FTA, you're going to need a C-band dish (6 foot or larger) and you'll get some games from the network muxes and maybe some wild feeds. There is no guarantee what games you'll get from week to week.

I just switched from Dish Network to DirecTV, for sports scheduling reasons. I like nothing better than getting a good looking feed from FTA, but I can always watch the game I want on my subbed box ( although crappy SD ).
Better yet, this was my wife's idea to switch, so I have the NFL Sunday ticket, and the MLB package to boot. Oh, Happy day !
:)

Oh do I miss the days of NLF Sunday Ticket on C-band. I was heart-broken when I received the letter telling me that they were discontinuing service.

NFL on KU Band is gone.....the Fox affiliates are gone from G18
There might be some on C-Band but you'll need a BIG dish (at least 8 feet) and probably a different type of receiver if they use DVB-S2 this year...and that is only for some of the games

as posted above, for all the games you need to get NFL ST

I understand that in this forum, telling details about feeds isn't allowed, and I know that the NFL has been making it harder and harder to find games, but I really think that it's better to tell people like this, that "it's difficult, but you can find most games if you have the right equipment" and leave it up to him to find them, rather than telling him that it isn't possible, and to give in and go the DirecTV/Sunday Ticket route. I have sent a couple PMAILS to the OP explaining how you can receive many games, on both C-band and also on Ku.
Last year, I was able to receive all but one of the games of the team I (and my dogs) follow without resorting to my Sunday Ticket subscription, using a combination of OTA/ATSC and FTA. I do subscribe to Sunday Ticket, but only because I don't want to risk missing even one game, but since the price has increased dramatically from the ~$90 or so that it cost back in the C-band days up to several hundred dollars now, I find it really difficult to recommend Sunday Ticket to ANYONE. Last year I basically paid several hundred dollars for ONE GAME! I don't know how many dozens of times over the years, when I've TRIED to watch a game on Sunday Ticket, that it will come up as unavailable due to the fact that it is available on local OTA channels, regardless of whether these channels are actually available to me or not, but even if they ARE available, it makes recording these games a nightmare. Also, Sunday Ticket does NOT include games on NBC or ESPN or NFL-Network, so you don't get anywhere close to getting ALL the games via Sunday Ticket.
Also, thanks to Sunday Ticket, if your team is playing a late game, and there is a game that went into overtime, very often you'll lose the first 5 or 10 minutes of a game if you've tried to record it, even if you know where the game is supposed to be, because they end up switching game coverage between local networks and Sunday Ticket, but usually the switchover takes many minutes, and there is no possible way to handle this with recordings.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but it just bothers me whenever I hear recommendations to go to DirecTV/Sunday Ticket, particularly when in the past, nearly all games can be found. I would much rather recommend that people use the several hundred dollars to invest in C-band and/or the HD/DVB-S2 8PSK/MPEG4/4.2.2 capable receivers that might be required to keep up with the ever changing scene of catching the NFL on C/Ku.

Here's a big :up to BJ for posting the type of info I originally signed up to Satelliteguys for. A few years back when I was still a newbie, we had PSB to provide this can do attitude, I wish I had the time to hone my skills to even half of what PSB was able to do in order to help other people out like he did me. It's completely understandable to want to (need to) support sponsors of the site, but we should be able to do so and still be true to the hobby. Sorry for my rant but all I hear these days is how difficult it is with all the upgrading, decommissioning, conversions, bankruptcies, etc etc - that if I were new to the hobby, I may just not even find it worth it to start. Just seems to go against what I felt this site is supposed to do for FTA. Just my two cents and I only say it because this is one of my favorites site. :D

If PSB were here he would have deleted this thread already. ;)

My answer to this is yes you can find games up there, but don't expect to sit down at 1pm on Sunday and find your favorite team. Chances are that you wont find the game for awhile if you find it at all.

Just the gamble you take with FTA.

Lets not forget about pre-season. There is always a pile of games on and don't forget 123W has carried the raiders/seahawks game for the last 5 years, but i see its on the NFL network this year so who knows.

I understand that in this forum, telling details about feeds isn't allowed, and I know that the NFL has been making it harder and harder to find games, but I really think that it's better to tell people like this, that "it's difficult, but you can find most games if you have the right equipment" and leave it up to him to find them, rather than telling him that it isn't possible, and to give in and go the DirecTV/Sunday Ticket route. I have sent a couple PMAILS to the OP explaining how you can receive many games, on both C-band and also on Ku.
Last year, I was able to receive all but one of the games of the team I (and my dogs) follow without resorting to my Sunday Ticket subscription, using a combination of OTA/ATSC and FTA. I do subscribe to Sunday Ticket, but only because I don't want to risk missing even one game, but since the price has increased dramatically from the ~$90 or so that it cost back in the C-band days up to several hundred dollars now, I find it really difficult to recommend Sunday Ticket to ANYONE. Last year I basically paid several hundred dollars for ONE GAME! I don't know how many dozens of times over the years, when I've TRIED to watch a game on Sunday Ticket, that it will come up as unavailable due to the fact that it is available on local OTA channels, regardless of whether these channels are actually available to me or not, but even if they ARE available, it makes recording these games a nightmare. Also, Sunday Ticket does NOT include games on NBC or ESPN or NFL-Network, so you don't get anywhere close to getting ALL the games via Sunday Ticket.
Also, thanks to Sunday Ticket, if your team is playing a late game, and there is a game that went into overtime, very often you'll lose the first 5 or 10 minutes of a game if you've tried to record it, even if you know where the game is supposed to be, because they end up switching game coverage between local networks and Sunday Ticket, but usually the switchover takes many minutes, and there is no possible way to handle this with recordings.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but it just bothers me whenever I hear recommendations to go to DirecTV/Sunday Ticket, particularly when in the past, nearly all games can be found. I would much rather recommend that people use the several hundred dollars to invest in C-band and/or the HD/DVB-S2 8PSK/MPEG4/4.2.2 capable receivers that might be required to keep up with the ever changing scene of catching the NFL on C/Ku.

Why don't you send me the PM?

Suppose the OP works for NFL?

You have clearly thought about this, but for the life of me, I don't understand it...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)