FTA Forum Changes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The idea here is that the receiver forums need a fair and equitable response from several sources and manufacturers.

The Satellite Guys forum is a reliable source of information, dedicated to the true and honest FTA hobbyist. This new format may not suit everyone at the moment, but if we allow it evolve, it may serve a greater purpose for all concerned.

If we can receive transmissions from 23,000 miles from outer space, we can certainly learn to navigate a simple forum on where to find tech support for our receiving equipment.
15:1 >> 94% of the FTA receiver forum users disagree with that statement.

Here's an example of something that works:

forum.jpg

Where is the microHD forum? ;)

But seriously, nice layout. Features the products that the site has sold and then offers an other category.

It's just a snapshot from another forum shown for organization purposes - I did not create the topic list. Obviously, Rick is biased.

Regarding this forum, MicroHD should be there as well like they were before things changed. The point is that organizing by Manufacturer/Model makes it much easier to navigate and find relevant information.

I came here specifically to see if there were any recent reviews for 3rd party firmware for the AZBox HD receiver since this type of information has been posted here in the past. I don't want to read through thousands of posts on other brands to find what I'm looking for. The forum built-in search function does not always produce relevant results.

Last edited:
That is a nice layout at Rick’s, which actually supports the point I made about the need for several different sources and manufacturers. I am not clear on what part of my statement other forum users disagree with, I am merely pointing out that we need something similar to what they have at Rick’s.

I am sure the current FTA Receiver Support format as it is today; will most likely evolve in the near future based on forum user feedback.

It's just a snapshot from another forum shown for organization purposes - I did not create the topic list. Obviously, Rick is biased.

Biased is an understatement as out of all the AzBox models he has listed, none are still in production! Not surprisingly, he does not list the only current AzBox model still in production at this time, the miniMe American Edition most likely as it is an AzBox Canada exclusive.
:rolleyes:

Rick Caylor also deletes any post discussing this model or AzBox Canada in general and we are banned from his forum. :eek:

We at AzBox Canada applaud SatelliteGuys.US in being a fair and unbiased discussion forum and source of information for any FTA receiver, regardless of brand. We work hard in improving our products for the North American market and as that Chevy marketing campaign said back in 2011, "may the best truck win!"
:cool:

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in favor of having the receiver support sorted into folders by model/manufacturer. I look specifically for only those receivers that I own, or are considering for purchase. It is soooo much easier to find the information that I want when it is already sorted.

Biased is an understatement as out of all the AzBox models he has listed, none are still in production! Not surprisingly, he does not list the only current AzBox model still in production at this time, the miniMe American Edition most likely as it is an AzBox Canada exclusive.
:rolleyes:

Rick Caylor also deletes any post discussing this model or AzBox Canada in general and we are banned from his forum. :eek:

We at AzBox Canada applaud SatelliteGuys.US in being a fair and unbiased discussion forum and source of information for any FTA receiver, regardless of brand. We work hard in improving our products for the North American market and as that Chevy marketing campaign said back in 2011, "may the best truck win!"
:cool:

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

WOW! We've gone from the topic of bringing back the receiver Sub Section of the forum to the way it was to personal attacks?!?! .............and we preach to the younger kids not to bully others kids? :facepalm:

In-case you all forgot, Rick is not the Issue here, but that Scott the owner of this great site should revert back to the old receiver forum layout.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I come to SatelliteGuys for the FTA forums in particular.

I've been a forum member for about 8 months, and while I haven't posted more than a handful of times, I do read a lot. I want to speak out on this occasion, as it's important to me, a typical lurker.

Having the sub-forums is a very good thing; keeping it split out would be my preference. I'm not interested in all receiver types, and it wastes time having to scroll through postings I find irrelevant. My $0.02... cheers!

sgs

Makes no diff to me.. FTA is fta no matter what brand make and model.
Will miss the azbox dedicated area tho :what:

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Scott threw a big firecracker in the fireplace on that one, eh? lol
I'm sure it'll sort itself out properly, soon.

I'll just add this.....:facepalm
I liked the AzBox having it's own section. To me in the FTA receiver world right now, there's the AZ, and then there's the rest of 'em!
Have to wade through too many "a firmware upgrade soon should fix that" posts to find stuff now. :eek:

Here's another peeve,why is the C band sub forum,always something new,down near the bottom of the list with the hardly ever anything new sub forums?
And in agreement with others,there are two brands/boxes that get active support,here, from someone involved with their welfare,MicroHD and AZBox.Seems to me they both deserve their own place.;)

I'm dreaming, right? This isn't really happening. Now unless every poster has the discipline to insert the receiver type in the title of a post, you don't know what receiver is being discussed from the title. Further, many may forget to add the receiver type even in their text, so you may be uncertain even after reading the posting which receiver is being discussed. For example, some posting titles I see: "Feature Request", "Playing AVI File Problems", "Not Able to Scan CW on 91W". What receiver do these refer to?

It's hard enough convincing users to post a meaningful title in general. There are already too many "I need help" titles. Now we won't know what receiver is being complimented, complained about, etc.

I will not be reading the FTA Receiver Support section anymore until there is some organization. Why would I waste my time searching through dozens of postings I have no interest in only to search for the microHD subjects I want to read?

Added: If this format change is going to be kept, then users when beginning a post must be forced, via a dropdown list, to select the receiver being discussed. All common receivers would be listed in the dropdown list with "Other" being the last category. If no receiver is selected, the posting would fail. This is the only way to keep the section useful.

Last edited:
Sorry folks, we will not be switching back. I want to make more forums for other brands but was told NO by the other companies as they did not want it to appear that we were an official support forum for their product. If you remember correctly we actually had more dedicated support forums for other brands and was asked to remove them.

However with that said I do have another idea which should keep everyone happy and make it easy to find specific brand receivers going forward. But I do need help compiling a list of CURRENT FTA Receiver brands (Not models) If you guys could work at putting that together for me then I can get to work on it. :)

Sorry folks, we will not be switching back. I want to make more forums for other brands but was told NO by the other companies as they did not want it to appear that we were an official support forum for their product. If you remember correctly we actually had more dedicated support forums for other brands and was asked to remove them.
how can they do that ?
we could have say a car site and do whatever we wanted with their models.
don't get it. as mfg don't do much with these units anyway in This country.

PwrSurge said:
Not surprisingly, he does not list the only current AzBox model still in production at this time, the miniMe American Edition most likely as it is an AzBox Canada exclusive.

Really?
Since when has the production of the AZBox miniMe started again? Are you telling me you are the sole (official) distributor on planet Earth?
OpenSat/DTinnovation stopped doing business. They only manage RMA.
There is no official statement from any kind of manufacturer, or from DTinnovation for that matter, that says it is producing miniMe's (again).
For all I know, those ones that are available could be Chinese clones or old stock.
In fact, DTinnovation has not even informed their dealers, although
they said moths ago they would make an official statement.
And even you have repeatedly posted that there would be an official statement.

Still waiting ....

Meanwhile, to get on topic again; I like the old way this forum looked. It is more orderly and easier to read for me.

madmadworld said:
don't get it. as mfg don't do much with these units anyway in This country.

This could be because there might be a conflict of interest. If I sell A and support a forum, I would not like brand B to be on it.

Lange

Last edited:
Scott...come clean. That doesn't make sense! You can have a forum on any topic you like. A manufacturer who isn't advertising with you has no control over what you do as long as you don't claim to be their official site. :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts