FTA/FTV channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

capin

Original poster
Jan 30, 2016
North Carolina
Hi All,

Firstly, I just wanted to introduce myself.
I moved to North Carolina from the UK back in September. I work as a system's engineer, my primary skill is AIX and storage but I am pretty good on Solaris and Linux too.

European satellite was my hobby in the UK, I had a 1.2m motorised system covering from 12.5W to 42E and maybe a little but further. I've had a few receivers but my latest was the Vu+ Solo2.

Here in NC, I have directv. I went for the HD recording setup in just one room, I don't mind paying the sub for the channels but I don't really like the way directv make you use their kit and then make you pay through the nose for it. I should add that I am completely clueless on US satellite TV.

What I would like to do is to get an FTA setup going in my bedroom using the Vu+. I've done a bit of really initial investigation, I can see that my Directv system seems to be using some satellite(s) around 99-101W but I am not completely sure. I've also read that Directv use almost exclusive Ka band with a little bit of Ku.

So my questions really are -

1. Is it possible to get some FTA channels from the directv satellites?
2. If it is possible, Can I use the Vu+ ?
3. Is there anything like a 'US satellite for dummies' stye guide around anywhere please?

Thanks,

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!
1. No all encrypted and try to break that is illegal here.

FTA is not exactly the same as in Europe here. Here most stuff is scrambled, and they want you to pay.
There is however hundreds of channels open with a proper set-up that is completely legal. :)
I personally am not real familiar with your receiver, but it will work, with it being DVB-S2.
Just ask any question you can think of and read read and read here on the forum.
We will be glad to help guide you into a set-up.

BTW what are of NC are you in? I live in far Western part of the state, close to the Tennessee and Georgia line.

Hi Capin,

The US TV market is very different from the UK and rest of Europe. There isn't a strong public broadcaster here and over-the-air TV is centered around a model with local affiliates taking a few hours a day from a network and programming the rest themselves, so there aren't any real national TV channels like exist in Europe.

Cable also started a long time before it ever got big in Europe, so the audience is used to paying for TV and doesn't find it strange. Many of my friends even pay cable companies to get free over the air channels because it's easier than putting up an antenna. As a result, the cable and satellite companies have a pretty decent lock on the market. A standard clause in any contract to get a channel on cable is that you can't broadcast it free to air, so what is up there is often encrypted.

The closest thing to what you are used to is Galaxy 19 at 97W, which carries about 200 channels FTA. Almost all are from overseas or are Christian TV stations.

There are a few other channels on other KU band satellite and you'll find PBS and NBC network feeds. KU is used by all the US networks for satellite news feeds too, if you're a news junkie. Otherwise, you'll have a lot more fun with a C-band dish, which brings in a bunch of US OTA channels, TV network feeds and stations from Canada and Latin America (for the latter, check you're in the footprint for Eutelsat 113 and 117). In North Carolina, you can also access a lot of the satellites over the Atlantic.

Martyn

I don't really like the way directv make you use their kit and then make you pay through the nose for it.
Welcome to this side of the pond.
To see what's available via FTA you could look over mikes lists at mpeg central
www.sathint.com/america or TheList on this site.
I'd also check www.tvfool.com for what's available OTA (that's still FREE but the cost of an antenna)
Quick look says a DIY StealthHawk may get a lot.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)