FTA HD DVB-S2 IRD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Zamar, It appears we are not in sync on the subject(s). Your post in the SatHawk thread was in question of the STB Tuner and RAM modules and made reference to the "proc" (under a heatsink) which I presumed that to mean the "System on a Chip" or "STB main IC solution", as it was described in the Main Features section of the info.
I never gave the question of STB Tuner for Sadoun's box any further consideration as that info was included in the release as well -

HD DVB-S2 SHARP 7306 Tuner

Referring to the Ali info for the SatHawk-

STB main IC solution is ALI , demodulator model is M3501 from Ali

I read the above quote as referring to two different devices, with two different functions, made by the same mfgr. , but only one, (the demod chip) was specified by device number. Is that not how you interpreted it?

The 3602 is not referenced in the info of the STB offered by Sadoun, but is in the info for the STB of topic in this thread. My comment was to direct your attention to that info, intending that knowing the specific "STB main IC solution" for Sadoun's box now for comparison could be of greater interest and might be worth the act of disturbing the heatsink bond.

If the Ali3602 device does not satisfy your reference to "proc" then I am unclear on what you intended the term "proc" refer to, (especially since you also pointed out it was heatsinked)

After your asked for the specific info in the other thread, I went back and looked again and I corrected my comment that the processor had been spec'd (by device number), and conceded that in just skimming over the data, I missed that the info had only named the SOC/main IC by mfgr, not device number.

AFAIK the memory info for Sadoun's box is still in question.

As to my "classification", I have my propellerhead moments, or so I'm told, but classification? Let's see, interested enough to make efforts to understand, but not to the point of obsessing over things I cant change.
Got a classification for that? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mel

I concede without a fight. I could never explain it in a more elaborate way than you did. Don't be obsessed with own classification though. Peace. :D :up

So does that mean when yours gets here, (you DID order one didnt you?) your gonna snatch the heatsink off that bad boy and clue us in.........right?........lol

No "fight" here either, it's all for gits and shiggles to me.:D
I reached a point in life a while back that I realized and accepted that energy was a finite commodity, and wasting it on conflict was pointless and foolish, hence the "things I cant change" reference.
If I lived to be 200, I still would not get everything done I have "plans" to do.....lol

Youth truely is wasted on the young.

I haven't ordered one, and hence will be unable to satisfy your curiosity at the moment. Doesn't mean I won't. :) I follow the rule to weight the necessity of wasting funds against what seems to be predictable outcome. I was excluded from beta testers league anyway, I think you thoroughly missed that point as usual. :D

To clarify, I'm looking for a decent multimedia receiver. Initially I had some hope this one could fit the bill, less of that now but not completely out. Buying AZBox Plus at $500 price point when it costs $80 to make sounds less than reasonable to me. Will see, how it goes. It shouldn't mean much however for others who don't have DVB-S2 HD tuner at the moment, and don't need a multimedia receiver or 4:2:2 support. I can do all this with a newest DVB-S2 card, but wanted convenience and "easy button" for others in the house, and some extra pleasure for the young in exploiting new technology features.

Last edited:
Well maybe Brian would spring for a pallet of these guys and we would have another new toy to check out with stateside support.

If the developer was as commited in customer feedback and accessable as DVBWord has appeared to be for their productline, it could be an interesting venture.

Sorry, not into risking our reputation on an unknown and uncertified product. Just because a receiver is manufactured, doesn't mean that it is suitable for our market. There are federal requirements that must be met or a shipment will be seized (FCC). Electrical certifications protect in case of fire or electrocution.

We are seeing many products in the North American market without CE/UL or FCC certifications. Manufacturers will often simply lie and offer to print anything the customer wants on the giftbox. CE certified? Sure, if that is what you want printed on the box! FCC certified? Yes, if that is what you want printed on the box! 0.2dB LNBF? Yep, if that is what you want printed on the box! 4:2:2? Yes, if that is what you want printed on the box! (BTW... what is 4:2:2?) LOL!!!!

How does SatelliteAV select a product for distribution?
  • Identify a potential market or need
  • Contact multiple suppliers
  • Test multiple samples from multiple sources
  • Test competitor samples
  • Study PCB design and component choice
  • Recommend hardware modifications
  • Develop feature set
  • Beta with a knowledgeable test group
  • Obtain exclusive distribution agreement
  • Approve production hardware / firmware
  • Obtain required FCC / UL or CE certifications
  • Obtain schematics, parts list and manufacturing testing procedures
  • Place initial small quantity order
  • Develop owners manual
  • Design giftbox
  • Test production models
  • Torture test production units
  • Obtain factory technician training
  • Accept order
  • Distribute product
  • Develop features and provide the exclusive firmware distribution channel only after extensive in-house testing
  • Provide technical and warranty support

Typical time from from a sample acceptance to distribution is 8 months to well over a year. Some products were never brought to market, even after investing months and 10's of thousands of dollars. Why, because we wouldn't want our name on it! If I wouldn't be proud to have the product as part of my system at home, we don't sell it! Several of these previous projects are now available through other North American distributors, but they still don't work right......

Yes, we could bring in any product that has a shiny finish and specifications that only exist in print, but the buyer's trust in our products would be quickly tarnished. :yikes

Gift Box???

SatelliteAV, I sincerly commend your approach, but I have to ask about one item. Does "gift box" mean something more than . . . well a box that a gift comes in, or did you just slip that in to see if anyone was reading the entire list :D

• Design giftbox

but some people take that as gospel that if it shows .2 then it really must be a great LNB ;)

Do 0.2dB NR LNBFs exist?

Yes, but they don't retail at $10 -$15!

We tested 5 off the shelf units with printed 0.2dB NR and rated them between 0.4dB and on the other end of the scale 0.8dB (averaged gain at 55dB) after 5 minute operation at 70 deg. F. On newer LNBFs we are seeing higher amplifications, but higher temperatures generated which produces reduced performance.

I tested a "supposed" .3 once and my old ExpressVu LNB (when they were linear) that is a .8 or even .9 had better (more stable) results than the .3 :)

If someone could convey to the manufacturer the importance of using a chipset (and necessary firmware) with support for 4:2:2 I think a lot more boxes would be sold.

I'm assuming "DVB-S2 8PSK", the AZBox Premium "Plus" fits the bill.

Unless something unexpected happens which allows the Sathawk to decode 4:2:2, I'll probably be gettings Premium Plus, unless an Elite Plus is released.
How much more would it have cost to use a Sigma chip which can decode 4:2:2 instead of the ALi that can't? 5-10 dollars?

How much more would it have cost to use a Sigma chip which can decode 4:2:2 instead of the ALi that can't? 5-10 dollars?
I personally think it's the Software License / Programming that costs the big money.

It would require to design or clone a completely different more expensive receiver. Products "designed" in CN mostly target a low cost product segment expecting to attain revenue through sales volume due to bigger prospective customer base. As Sadoun pointed earlier from own experience, most people don't think in tech terms: you advertise it as a lowest cost brand new HD receiver, and that works for most. It does what it says after all. ;)

I'm assuming "DVB-S2 8PSK", the AZBox Premium "Plus" fits the bill.
The Az Plus will have a few more competition by spring.........I am hearing the vu-Duo will be imported to NA by Sonysat and the Kbox K2HD will be out too. All are DVB S2 capable, not sure about blindscan and 4:2:2 yet as infos are still far and few.

I don't know the arrangements between Sonysat and Azbox, but, the Vu Duo will be showing up in NA.

Here are the specs from European site, I don't know whether we will get the same one or NA-built specific.

Specifications:

Open-source Linux operating system (Enigma2)
Broadcom Mips processor
Twin DVB-S2 Tuner
MPEG2 / H.264 Hardware decoding (DVB compliant)
16 digit alphanumeric VFD Display
2 x Common Interface slots
2 x smartcard reader (Conax Embedded)
10/100 Mbps Ethernet interface
3 x USB2.0 (1xFront/2xBack)
1 x internal SATA connection for HDD (not included)
1 x E-SATA
1 x V.24/RS232
HDMI Interface
2 x Scart
1 x YPrPb
1 x optical S / PDIF for digital audio transmission ()
Channel change <1 seconds
EPG (electronic program guide)
Plugin support (JPEG, MP3, XviD ...)
Support of Bouquet lists
Multi language OSD, Skin - Support
Fully automatic, Manual Channel Search
Videotext Teletext
DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2
Video:

Video resolution (720 x 576 lines), 576p, 720p, 1080i
Video decoding MPEG-2, MPEG-4 compatible
Input data rate 2-45 MSymb / s
S/N> 53 dB
Audio:

Decoding AC 3, MPEG-4 (AAC-HE), MPEG-1, Layer 1, 2 and 3
32/44.1/48 kHz sampling rate
S/N > 65 dB
Power consumption:

<25W (in operation, horizontal /) 400mA LNB current
<20W (in operation, without LNB)
<1W (Deep-Standby-Mode)
100-240 Volts 50-60 Hz

Attachments

• MS750S-Leaflet_1.pdf-Adobe-Reader[1].bmp
    188.2 KB · Views: 122
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts