FTA internet access?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Last time I checked it was more than $3K for installation and equipment, and another $120/mo is you want more than dial-up speeds, plus a 1GB data cap (after that you pay per MB). I know a family that had one installed and ended up paying over $1k one month because their computer did a major windows update during peak hours. They realized very quickly that they could not afford it. There was a pricy disconnection fee too.
Many areas up here have no terrestrial service available other than dial-up, and the local phone company has been de-commissioning their dial-up modem pools leaving many with no choice for ISP services. Luckily I have one terrestrial service within range. Most communities have DSL services and LTE/4G but they only reach a mile or so from the DSL amp/tower.

Some RMs (Counties) have been installing fiber along their road allowances and selling the service as a utility to their businesses and residents at a fair price, so there is hope...

That's my one big concern about moving out to the boonies. We want the peace and quiet and nature, but we'd at least like cellular or non-dialup. Then again, a lack of Internet might be good for us.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)