FTA One Stop Shop

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Where do you fine folks purchase your FTA/SAT gear from? Apparently there is no FTA (legit) store in this area... somewhat shocking considering there is almost 3 million folks within a 50mile radius. Buying online kinda blows because am the type that likes to go into the store and shoot the breeze w/ the owner... plus shipping costs are usually exaggerated and an unwanted additional cost

Cheers, K

If you had a local shop, the owner would tell you whatever he had in stock, was the best around! :)
That's already happened to one member,recently.
If he'd ask here first, he'd have saved money and gotten a better unit.

THIS forum is where you hang out and shoot the breeze.
Some are owners. Most aren't. We keep 'em all honest, though. :)

Buying mail order is generally cheaper than local.
No tax.
Often , shipping is included.

Unfortunately, I don't have a list of Canadian dealers, but you can bet some will be recommended by others.;)

Hope some of your fellow Canadians answer this one-not knowing what kind of shipping or customs fees you might incur from buying in the US, I wouldn't want to suggest anybody. But I suppose you could always email them and ask. I haven't bought anything recently except some cable connectors from Sadoun. Check out sponsors out first though to see if they may have what you want.

Not too many places you can walk in local...I used to have one about 100 miles from me but they're gone. I've bought most all of my stuff on line and haven't had a problem....I usually stay away from auction sites... I prefer to buy from one of the folks that support Sat Guys as they do a great job! Shipping to Canada thought might cost a few more bucks I'm sure.
Blind

Whatever you ship, ship it by USPS if you can help it. 1 in 5 parcels I receive hasn't been slapped with fees once Canada Post gets it.

Fedex fees are reasonable. UPS brokerage fees are simply outrageous. I've had them as high as $80 on a $200US item.

What about Ku Satellite in Montreal? Have you checked them out? I have done business with them before (online) for switches (0/22KHz) that I couldn't get locally, plus some SC LNBs, as well as other LNBs. It does look like they don't stock as much as they use to, back when I was buying from them. Believe they have a regular store (not just online).

I've bought lots of stuff from Canada and the US. Using the postal service as I live in the boonies is fairly inexpensive, usually $10 to $15 extra. I can recommend a couple that are still in existence if you want to send me a PM. The site sponsors are a great place to start though.

Happy Testing!!!

I live in the US and I never had any problems ordering online. Most at the time it is cheaper, since they do not have the overhead cost.
You will get a more un-bias recommendation here, than if you walk into a store that may want to get rid of there old stock.

I live in an area where there's no FTA vendors at all and the local satellite tv shops are just pizza dish installers and they look at me like I'm nuts when I try to talk to them about FTA stuff?? BUD to them is useless junk.

I've purchased most of my newer equipment from vendors on fleabay and also some other online stores and the only problem I've had was with leomall/mrsavingsmall. I bought 2 DMX741s and 3 Vbox X controllers from them and when one of the Vboxes went belly up they didn't know who I was. Wouldn't answer my Email requests for an RMA and that Vbox was only like 3 months old. I guess it's quite possible that others might have done the same thing but that one Vbox X is the only thing I've had that broke.

If there was a local store I "might" have gotten some of this stuff from them but since there is none I didn't.

I live in an area where there's no FTA vendors at all and the local satellite tv shops are just pizza dish installers and they look at me like I'm nuts when I try to talk to them about FTA stuff?? BUD to them is useless junk.

I've purchased most of my newer equipment from vendors on fleabay and also some other online stores and the only problem I've had was with leomall/mrsavingsmall. I bought 2 DMX741s and 3 Vbox X controllers from them and when one of the Vboxes went belly up they didn't know who I was. Wouldn't answer my Email requests for an RMA and that Vbox was only like 3 months old. I guess it's quite possible that others might have done the same thing but that one Vbox X is the only thing I've had that broke.

If there was a local store I "might" have gotten some of this stuff from them but since there is none I didn't.

I have no FTA store around here either. The closest one would be a 5 1/2 hour drive.
I have seen Leo Mall at ebay and when I saw their Headline at a posting with the wrong picture and a description that did not match the headline or the picture, that was a turn-off for me right then.

There is RPSSat.com, KUsat.com, and DrSat.ca, the first two in QC, the other in ON. I think most of these are resellers for some of our forum sponsors. I've dealt with all three and they (IMHO) do good business. Not too many FTA walk-in stores but I do know of two up north in Winterpeg that have some stock including dishes, but they are not affiliated with any sponsors here as far as I know. Ebay.ca is a good place to look too.
-C.

I've been in to FTA Tronix on Carling in Ottawa. I got the feeling that the products he had were from back before Bell changed their encryption but it's still a good place to start off with. I feel I did better than mail order but call ahead to see what he's got before going down. His website is out of date but good enough for a phone # and address.
Cheers, Steve

I really only deal with roger at rps now but I have dealt with kusat, vi tesse along with importbestbuys. All are in or around mtl.

Out of them all roger is the only one that pushes and supports the bud with our great coversations we have had over the years it shows, the others don't no much about the bud, Philippe at ku use to but last time I talked to him about bud part questions he said I'm better of with Dish :(

Agree..Roger seems like a good guy (through the few emails we exchanged) however I hate crossing the bridges then the traffic.. arggh!

Cheers,K

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)