FTA Receivers - PCMCIA slots?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

14karat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Hernando, Mississippi
Can someone fill me in on just what the PCMCIA slots are intended for?
(I know how they pertain to computers, but I'm meaning in the FTA receiver world...)
Just what advantage do they buy?

The slot is referred to as CI (Common Interface). A CAM (Conditional Access Module) can be placed into the CI slot to allow the insertion of a subscribed card for viewing encrypted programming. The CAM can either be dedicated to a specific subscription type or interface with several encryption formats.

It's not anything you can sub to that is from the USA. There is some foreign services I think that use common interface slots. I think there is something like "Home2us" i have seen in the past. Don't hold me to that I can't remember.

Most all USA programming is Digicipher 2 or Powervu. those are the two standards. Videocipher 2 was the standard in analog but it is all but gone now.

There are some ethnic services you can sub to using a Visionsat receiver (not globecast...they will only sub their boxes)

Ok, that more or less confirms what I was thinking.
I've just been comparing different receivers. Trying to get a feel for 'what's out there'...
Anyway ran across several with the PCMCIA slots. Was hoping that was for 'future expansion' and what-not, but figured it had to do with off-shore stuff...
Thanks All.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)