FTA receivers with OTA record capability

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

WEC4104

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
My wife frequently uses a DVD recorder to time-slide network broadcasts. Her DVD recorder recently died and I have been looking for a replacement. For her purposes, a hard disk based system would be much better.

I refuse to buy a TiVo unit because of the fees and the "big brother" approach they take to monitoring what you watch. Unfortunately, a lot of other manufacturers are discontinuing their models with the hard drives. Not much left to pick from.

I hit on the idea of buying an FTA receiver, primarily for it's record capabilities. However, I would need one that can also record OTA/analog cable signals. NTSC/SD would be acceptable, but ATSC (and possibly HD) would be better. The ability to time-slide, watch while record, and "chase" are key features needed.

So far, I have been able to find some high-end machines that appear to have what I need:

1) CaptiveWorks 3000HD (a lot of box, and I don't believe it even has motor control yet)

2) SV8000HD - Possibly

3) Viewsat 9000HD - Record features not developed yet.

Can anybody suggest any other units with terrestrial tuners and full featured HDD recording?

My wife frequently uses a DVD recorder to time-slide network broadcasts. Her DVD recorder recently died and I have been looking for a replacement. For her purposes, a hard disk based system would be much better.

I refuse to buy a TiVo unit because of the fees and the "big brother" approach they take to monitoring what you watch. Unfortunately, a lot of other manufacturers are discontinuing their models with the hard drives. Not much left to pick from.

I hit on the idea of buying an FTA receiver, primarily for it's record capabilities. However, I would need one that can also record OTA/analog cable signals. NTSC/SD would be acceptable, but ATSC (and possibly HD) would be better. The ability to time-slide, watch while record, and "chase" are key features needed.

So far, I have been able to find some high-end machines that appear to have what I need:

1) CaptiveWorks 3000HD (a lot of box, and I don't believe it even has motor control yet)

2) SV8000HD - Possibly

3) Viewsat 9000HD - Record features not developed yet.

Can anybody suggest any other units with terrestrial tuners and full featured HDD recording?

You could buy an old Series 1 tivo. You never need to connect them to the Tivo service, and they will still work as a manual recorder to record shows without using the guide service. They are generally very cheap, especially if you get one with a bad modem (big whoop since you dont want to sub), or one with no hard drive (big whoop, drives are cheap).

I am looking for a similar solution. I have been leaning towards a CoolSat 8100. It an HD receiver, it has the PVR capability with a USB attached hardrive, it has an ATSC tuner. I don't think its tuner will do QAM or NTSC analog.

Here's a list of a half-dozen HD receivers, offered by one of our advertizers.
Not sure what else is available that they don't show.
There is one more major offering that hasn't come to market yet, but I don't know if it'll have an ATSC tuner.

Having just started enjoying one of the new breed of standard def PVR FTA receivers, I am quite impressed.
Of course, if you were to have both HD and local stations on the drive, that's even better.
Simple computer tools will give you the ability to eventually make DVDs, too.

Thanks. I took a look at the 6 HD units in the link Anole posted, and was able to trim the list down a bit.

Captain 8000HD:down Doesn't appear to support hard disk recording at all

CaptiveWorks CW3000HD :down I heard that this unit doesn't support motor control yet. For me to go with a box that size, it would have to do EVERYTHING.

Pansat 9200HD:down Doesn't appear to have record capabilities, either

Viewsat 9000HD:down As a happy Viewsat Ultra user, it pains me to see the debacle they created with the release of this product. The product was released back in August with significant shortcomings, and here it is December and they still have a significant number of problems still remaining. These problems, especially the underdeveloped record capabilities, scratch this from my list.

That would leave only the Coolsat 8100HD PVR and the Sonicview 8000HD as the remaining contenders. I had one other source suggest the Diamond 9000HD. In looking at these 3 units I especially need to check into:

1) Do they record in HD quality or at a lesser quality?
2) Can you start recording a 2 hour show at 8pm, and actually sit down to watch at 8:20pm, skipping through commercials
3) What are the limitations for recording one show while watching another?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts