FTA sort-of Newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TenaGoble

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I am planning on getting a FTA system. I also have a desktop computer that I am currently rebuilding and was wondering what parts would I need for FTA PC? Plus, I have a DN dish and was wondering if I could use it instead of getting a new dish? :confused:

I used to have a BUD and I know I have to get an LNB, but what is my best bet money and programming wise?:eek:

The pizza dish is not of much use for KU FTA. The smallest recommended is a 30" / 76cm dish. Many people including myself would recommend a 36" / 90cm dish for more reliable reception. I am a big fan of the Invacom line of lnb's, others have their favorites. I use a stb box so can not really give advise for a pc card / usb box. Be sure to search the forums, and read the stickies. There is lots of information.

I agree with everything Ghia said , chapter 'n verse. ! - :cool:

If you are talking about FTA on Ku band, then any sort of Standard or Universal LNB would get you going.
I do have a nice Universal Invacom SNH-031, myself.
The fancier QPH-031 is both Standard, and Circular, and has two outputs each.

There will be a lot of suggestions on which PCi card to use.
Depends on what you are willing to pay, and which features you are looking to get.
Some of the newer cards don't have such good software support yet, either.

Alternately, there are USB based receivers, which are completely external to your computer.
Be very cautious with these, as they are heavily dependent on the USB hardware functionality in your computer!

You will need a software package.
To decide which is best for your use , you'll have to study many in some depth before choosing.
Several to consider would be:
- DVBdream . org
- MyTheatre . ru
- ProgDVB . com

Now, if you were thinking of getting back on C-band, then the above cards and software would still work.
You would need a voltage-controlled LNB for C-band, similar to the voltage-controlled LNBs on Ku band.
If that's your quest, we can give more recommendations.
A 6, 8, or 10 foot dish would be required, too.
With bigger being better, as they say. :rolleyes:

But, the number one, best tool for anyone thinking they want a PC-based satellite receiver, in my opinion, is...
... a standalone set top receiver with blind scan!
Getting up 'n running without one is a good order of magnitude harder!
Under $100 for any of several very excellent receivers.

Hello,
just like Anole said first you'd need to decide on what kind of programming you're after. Based on that you can then research the kind of equipment required to receive said programming - you can start at under $100, but it can get expensive quite quickly and before you know it you'll be spending thousands of dollars. That's the beauty of this hobby: the more you have the more you want :)

Personally, I watch everything on my monitor so I cannot really comment on any stbs. If you wanted to go the pc route I would definitely recommend a tuner such as the technotrend tt3200 which can demodulate dvb-s and dvb-s2 modulated signals. It's definitely the cheapest solution to get hd broadcasts (unfortunately most are on c-band, so if you already have a 10 footer you might want to invest in a lnb). Be aware however as you'll need a fairly fast cpu for high def. Later on, if you don't feel like purchasing a STB you could upgrade your system to a video card with hdmi and hook your pc up to your hd tv.

Just my two cents,
Paul

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)