FTA Telstar 5 KU Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hackersack

Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Hi, I am new to this forum but I am sure that I am at the right place to get some answers. Here's the deal: I have a 32" stationary dish pointing at Telstar 5 (97 W). I also have a DSR922 Motorola. I was wondering if it can be set up with a stationary dish or only big dish. Also if it can be set up with the statioary dish what steps do I need to take to ensure that I receive picture? Thank you all for taking the time to read my questions and hopefully for answering them.

Last edited:
Not sure I'm the best to answer your questions but I'll give it a try:

1. 32" will only work for Ku and I am assuming your have your 922 set to use a Ku LNBF?
2. 922 recieves DC II and analog signals. A quick look at the Lyngsat directory (www.Lyngsat.com) shows no analog Ku signals and only one DC II signal (Merrill Lynch TV) that appears to have a symbol rate or some encryption that would not allow the 922 to see it
3. The 922 needs to download channel maps from a C Band transponder located at 133 west. A lot of variables here. Has your 922 ever been used to get a subscrition service? How long ago? This will impact how many channels in the clear you might be able to recieve if your move your little dish.

You might try shifting your fixed dish to 99 west and selecting X4 on the 922 satellite list and see if you see a channel or two in the 400 to 699 range.

Not sure I have been very helpful but I have a movable 31" dish hooked through a DVB reciever to a DSR920 that another very kind gentleman gave me on this site so I've gone through some of what you are asking. Also, sorry if my reply is too basic. Good luck.

Assuming that your 32-inch dish has a Ku band LNBF, then I think your best bet is to scrounge Ebay for a working used digital FTA receiver - should be possible for $20-$30.
Telestar 5 (now renamed to "Galaxy 25") has a lot of such channels - over a hundred TV and over a hundred Radio.

I would like to thank both Zorak and kstuart for their replies. These replies have somewhat helped me to decide what to do with the DSR 922.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)