OTHER FTA using Winegard Pathway X2??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

d00d3l

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
College Station TX
Hi! I have a Winegard Pathway X2 (and funnily enough, my receiver is an X2 Premium :p) My question is, do you think I can get FTA using this antenna? It's portable, and motorized. I need to know if its DISqEC or something else, so I can aim it. Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum d00d3l. That Winegard is made for Dish Network and will not work for FTA for a number of reasons.

The Pathway X2 is reportedly controlled using "DISH Mobile Protocol".

It certainly doesn't help in an FTA context that the reflector is just 18" in diameter.

UGH. I hate proprietary stuff.
While DiSEqC supports elevation, that adds a "whole other dimension" of complexity to the calculations for the drive mechanism. I can see this adding significantly to the cost of the antenna if they have to build that into the dish rather than using the receiver's processing power (since it is known what the receiver will be).

Reminds me of the Commodore 64 where the floppy disk unit needed processing power on a par with the CPU built into the computer. The computer had a ~1MHz 6510 and the floppy drive had a ~1MHz 6502.

It would be an interesting project no harm in trying I say if you try and fail at least you tried. I would try for 121w with it since it's a strong signal.

I wonder if I manually aimed it, if I could get at least 1 channel.
I suppose it depends on whether the motors have brakes on them. I kinda doubt that brakes are necessary on the X2 as there shouldn't be any wind loading inside the dome ;).

The thing with satellites is that if you can get one channel, you can usually get dozens. Whether or not they are in the clear is another issue entirely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)