Full DirecTV Price Increase Letter

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Seems to be as official as it gets, I just got the email. Total choice premier $96.99, HD $9.99.

Edit: the directv package comparison pages still shows the old prices.

Tom

Last edited:
Satmeister said:
I didn't know Mr. Murdoch owned ESPN, Discovery, and Lifetime, the main price increase culprits (in addition to Fox). I guess we learn something every day. :rolleyes:
He doesnt. When did I say he did? Read much? :rolleyes:

vurbano said:
He doesnt. When did I say he did? Read much? :rolleyes:
vurbano said:
Ahh so Rupert raises rates for FOX to D* that he owns and blames it on the content providers. Ingenius.
Your generalistic blubber inferred he profits from the rate increases, and that they are attributed to HIS content providers (FOX), which of course, is absurd.

Read much / Write much? :devil:

Neutron said:
Wife and I have decided that right before the price increase we are calling and dropping both HBO and the HD pak to cut some fat out of our Directv bill, and as a silent protest to the price increase.
You're right, they are turning into the cable company. I can't wait until FiOS is available.

I'd be more inclined to protest the price decrease of the HD package. It appears they have no plan to add any national HD channels any time soon. Very disappointing. I would have accepted a price increase if it meant more HD.

-JustBob

I'm a new directv customer and I am little upset about the price increase.

I currently subscribed to the directv para todos selection mas 40 dollars. So far directv remains a good bargain i get to see good channels both in English and Spanish. Cox on the other hand charges Paquete Latino at $30.44 however no english channels if i want the english package its going to cost me $17.99 for basic channels.

Does this price increase affect customers currently under contract, or is there some kind of "price freeze" while your contract is valid? Seems exceedingly unfair that they could get you stuck in a 2 year contract, then raise prices all they want (effectively changing the terms of the contract) without you being able to do anything about it.

popechild said:
Does this price increase affect customers currently under contract, or is there some kind of "price freeze" while your contract is valid? Seems exceedingly unfair that they could get you stuck in a 2 year contract, then raise prices all they want (effectively changing the terms of the contract) without you being able to do anything about it.
----------
Rates for present subs will be going up $3.00 for each tier.....
I also note the various rates appear to be color-coded which explains the
various "personal" e-mail responses...it would also appear that D* may have
had these made up some time ago..need to check my crayola box for more
colors!!:D
http://www.directv.com/Email2006/0106_PI_blue/blue.html

TOTAL CHOICE® $44.99/mo.

New customers on an introductory TOTAL CHOICE offer will move to the $44.99 monthly price when their offer period ends.

http://www.directv.com/Email2006/0106_PI_cyan/cyan.html

TOTAL CHOICE® PLUS $48.99/mo.

New customers on an introductory TOTAL CHOICE PLUS offer will move to the $48.99 monthly price when their offer period ends.

http://www.directv.com/Email2006/0106_PI_brown/brown.html

TOTAL CHOICE® PREMIER $96.99/mo.

New customers on an introductory TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER offer will move to the $96.99 monthly price when their offer period ends.
---------------
There is no breach here, as they have a clause that basically allows them to change rates at any time..

Last edited:
Got a letter in the mail yesterday that Para Todos packages are also going up in price. By $3 according to the letter. I have a package that is no longer advertised, It is the Opcion Ultra Especial, which is basically Total Choice + without WGN and BBC and a few other channels.

The fax reads that the Para Todos packages were not going up in price. What gives?

scooby2 said:
Any idea if you can get NFL Sunday ticket with any of the spanish packages or the new Family plan? D* has us by the balls with Sunday Ticket.

Yes, I have the para todos sub w/out locals for 26.99 a month, around 30 and change w/ taxes. I have BH as my main sub, keep D* for Sunday Ticket. I suspend my account in the off-season (NFL) and activate it in August when it starts back up.

Hi. Not attempting to be real rude but, can we stop complaining about price increases already? This is called inflation. Everything from milk to clothes to gas go up in price yearly. We should be concerned about our pay increasing to keep up with this. If companies do not nominally raise rates, then they do not have as much money as is needed to expand on services and programming.
In addition, DirecTV has raised rates four times in 11 years. The lowest of any big television provider and all other providers have rate increases in affect February 1.
Everyone take care.

bonez1978 said:
Hi. Not attempting to be real rude but, can we stop complaining about price increases already? This is called inflation. Everything from milk to clothes to gas go up in price yearly. We should be concerned about our pay increasing to keep up with this. If companies do not nominally raise rates, then they do not have as much money as is needed to expand on services and programming.
In addition, DirecTV has raised rates four times in 11 years. The lowest of any big television provider and all other providers have rate increases in affect February 1.
Everyone take care.

And three of the rate increases DirecTV has hit me with have been since 2004. I'm sorry, guy, but it's getting to be a bit too much...from $37.99, to $39.99, to $42.99, and finally (had I stayed with the package) to $45.99 as of March. I downgraded this time as a result. I'm not addicted to television the way I used to be, and if it climbs much higher the expense can't be justified any longer. Too many big companies are screaming, "More!" at the same time.

I will be switching to the new dish latino max package announched just days ago. Directv you lost a loyal customer

wh5916 said:
And three of the rate increases DirecTV has hit me with have been since 2004. I'm sorry, guy, but it's getting to be a bit too much...from $37.99, to $39.99, to $42.99, and finally (had I stayed with the package) to $45.99 as of March. I downgraded this time as a result. I'm not addicted to television the way I used to be, and if it climbs much higher the expense can't be justified any longer. Too many big companies are screaming, "More!" at the same time.

So what option do you have? I checked with comcasts current rates. The cheapest digital package they offer is 70 bucks, let me see I think that is darn near 30 bucks more than you are paying now. And their prices go up 3 bucks quarterly. Now that's something to complain about.

wh5916 said:

Agreed. These price increases are coming far too often these days. This is what I was trying to get away from, when I left cable. Ever since Rupert took over, D* has been looking more and more like cable every day. :mad:

bpickell said:
So what option do you have? I checked with comcasts current rates. The cheapest digital package they offer is 70 bucks, let me see I think that is darn near 30 bucks more than you are paying now. And their prices go up 3 bucks quarterly. Now that's something to complain about.

Other options? DVDs...the internet...books...outside antenna or the most stripped down basic package that our local cable system offers.

I lived without cable or satellite programming for over 30 years of my life, and I'm prepared to live without it again if necessary.

FRom their Total Choice package, we oftenly watch no more then 12 channels regularly, thinking this is way over price. seeing other alter way to watch this, may as well go to internet TV since we have DSL.

I have been happy with D* for many years (I have had it off and on since early in the game - First d* system cost me $1200.00), however I called and cancelled today...Mainly because I got digital cable with a dvr & the encore pack for $33.00 a month for 6 months. Then in 6 months I may end up back at D* or I will go with 4Dtv...D* did offer me 2 months free service when I called so you might try that.

Has anyone checked their account programming fees on the D* website since 3/1?

Most of the fees do not show a change for me.
Total Choice Plus with locals $45.99 (should be $49.99)
DVR Service $4.99 (should be $5.99)
Protection Plan $5.99 (changed from $7.99)
HD package $10.99 (should be $9.99)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)