Full Screen Program Guide no longer an option - thanks Dish!

The DVR menu has the live picture as well. What I want is to start from the beginning without ever seeing a live picture. Even a single paused frame of Kyle Busch celebrating in victory lane will tell you a lot about how the race turned out.

Previously I could do it by going to the extended guide before my TV actually displayed a picture and selecting another channel. Then I could safely go to the event I wanted to watch and choose "Start over".

How is this a hard concept to understand?

Just press channel up or down first? One button press so it's just as quick. Or just wait until it's over before starting playback.

You know.. I hope everyone else that is just "dismissing" dish's fault in this, come to be on the brunt end of such an issue in the future.

there's TONS of other ways to accomplish *NOT* haveing the video pre-dispose the game score, etc... but the dismissive types don't seem to realize every time dish is given an inch, they take miles.

The feature to *not* have video up there could NOT have been so many more lines of code that needed to be removed for streamlinening and saving a whopping 1 meg of codes space , and by not having the video play, the receiver doesn't use as much memory .. again not something Dish considers...

You have to hold dish to the higest standards, not just any tom/dick/harry excuse

Not happy about this either. If I wanted to see whats on and still watch what I am watching I would hit the browse button. Why do they think not many people used the guide with no video option? All most everyone I know that has dish, uses this option. Would it have been that hard to keep it in there!

Not happy about this either. If I wanted to see whats on and still watch what I am watching I would hit the browse button. Why do they think not many people used the guide with no video option? All most everyone I know that has dish, uses this option. Would it have been that hard to keep it in there!

Why do they think that well the units report home & I bet this is one of the things on the list.

I am not sure I am following this at all. I have two 722K's and just checked and I *do* have the option to turn video off in standard, extended, or enhanced modes. When does this software change go into effect?

You know.. I hope everyone else that is just "dismissing" dish's fault in this, come to be on the brunt end of such an issue in the future.

there's TONS of other ways to accomplish *NOT* haveing the video pre-dispose the game score, etc... but the dismissive types don't seem to realize every time dish is given an inch, they take miles.

The feature to *not* have video up there could NOT have been so many more lines of code that needed to be removed for streamlinening and saving a whopping 1 meg of codes space , and by not having the video play, the receiver doesn't use as much memory .. again not something Dish considers...

You have to hold dish to the higest standards, not just any tom/dick/harry excuse

Well then, what did they add with the space they recovered? The ability to spam Epix with VOD ads? Like we were all clamoring for that forever and ever!

Because not many people do. As a tech I've been to thousands of service calls/ trouble calls where the customer has already had service for a while and I can tell you that I count on one hand the number of times the program guide was in a "without video" option.

Do I think that customers should still have that option? Yes.

Is that going to make a difference? Nope.

As Scott has basically said numerous times on this board, you guys on this board are the "exception" and not the "rule". I'd say 99% of Dish's subscriber base only cares about the minimum basics of what their system can do. They just want to be able to turn on their tv and watch their show (and DVR if they have a DVR) with no issues. They don't care about all the extra "stuff".

The question is can enough of you make your voices heard by Dish to get the "without video" option back? I don't know, but absolutely more power to you if you can.

Last edited:
With all the Dish Network DVR's I used the 508, 510 and ViP 612 I always had the guide and the video. When I first got Dish Network back in 2000 and had the 4900 I had the video in the guide disabled because it was useless as it always took a while for the video to display and download the guide.

Does directv offer the option for the guide without video? I can not stand the guide with video, and to top it off the bottom row is showing up out of view so I can not even see only the channels unless I go through them one by one instead by the page like I have always done. Never had this issue before this last update. My bill went up about 50% when they canned the absolute package a while back, but I am honestly way more upset about the guide. With the offers for new customers I believe I can switch service, save money, and scan through the channels at a decent speed again. Why do I need video on the guide? If I am using the guide it is because I do not want to watch the channel that it is on and looking for something else.

DirecTV has guide with Video.. And gives you no options to remove it.. Or even change anything about the guide.. Including removing the banner adds.. One of my biggest complaints about DirecTV.. I hate the 1 1/2 hour guide.. I want at least 3 hours..

That's a TV setting or problem. If your TV is 1080p, it should be set to "dot for dot" or the equivalent.

I would agree. Make sure you are not using a Zoom setting, and if set to 16X9 see if there is a "Just Scan" mode or as mentioned something like a "Dot for Dot" mode....

I would agree. Make sure you are not using a Zoom setting, and if set to 16X9 see if there is a "Just Scan" mode or as mentioned something like a "Dot for Dot" mode....

This is a rear projection television, no settings as mentioned, in 16x9 standard mode. I found a work around, by switching from 6 rows to 4 rows I can see all the channels listed on the screen. This is going to take a lot longer to cycle through all the channels compared to way it was without video. I am anything but happy about dish taking this simple option away.

This is a rear projection television, no settings as mentioned, in 16x9 standard mode. I found a work around, by switching from 6 rows to 4 rows I can see all the channels listed on the screen. This is going to take a lot longer to cycle through all the channels compared to way it was without video. I am anything but happy about dish taking this simple option away.

Your overscan on the rear proj TV must be the problem. I've got mine set to 6 rows, banner off, & preference HD Only and w/ the video actually get 7 rows on the guide. My TV is a panny 1080p plasma w/ equivalent of the dot for dot they are talking about.

Yep, on the "6 row" setting I actually get 7, and on the "4 row" which I prefer, I get 5. Technically many modern HDTVs don't actually do "dot-for-dot" but rather have overscan. It's not near as much as old-fashioned NTSC but there is still some overscan. Though, there are modes on many TVs that turn off overscan. Even in that case it's not "dot-for-dot" unless it's the same resolution as the TV's native resolution. If you can't see the bottom row then you have too much overscan, or you're in a "zoom" mode, or something of that nature.

Interesting article about overscan, and why many HDTVs still do it:

HD 101: Overscan and why all TVs do it -- Engadget HD

Last edited:
Yep, on the "6 row" setting I actually get 7, and on the "4 row" which I prefer, I get 5. Technically many modern HDTVs don't actually do "dot-for-dot" but rather have overscan. It's not near as much as old-fashioned NTSC but there is still some overscan. Though, there are modes on many TVs that turn off overscan. Even in that case it's not "dot-for-dot" unless it's the same resolution as the TV's native resolution. If you can't see the bottom row then you have too much overscan, or you're in a "zoom" mode, or something of that nature.

Interesting article about overscan, and why many HDTVs still do it:

HD 101: Overscan and why all TVs do it -- Engadget HD

The panny's will do the "dot for dot". I've gotten to watch the dancing CC in the VBI numerous times and have to use format to keep from going nuts trying to ignore it.

I'd rather watch the CC "garbage" than have too much overscan myself. Different TVs have different amounts of overscan though. I like it when HDTVs have just enough overscan to get rid of the garbage, but not so much that you're missing a whole lot on the edges, and it's not overly soft. Ideally, I like no overscan at all. I was just stating that "dot for dot" seems to be used very loosely in terms of mixing up the difference between overscan and native resolution. It is possible to have no overscan but yet not be "dot for dot." I don't know, I just wish TV manufacturers would just use the proper terminology, instead. For example, watching 720p on a 1080p is not "dot for dot" just as watching 1080p/i on a 720p is not "dot for dot," even if overscan is disabled.

/geek rant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts