Fulmer gone from UT.....

There was a black guy named Blake on one of the recruiting programs recently (ESPNU or CBS C, don't remember which) supposedly the best recruiter in the country. Seemed to be looking for a head coaching job. Maybe he will be the one. Tennessee is probably only 4 or 5 top recruits away from being back at the top.

Butch Davis and Mike Leach would both crawl to Knoxville. IMO

Better facilties, more money, more fan support, better program on the whole for the last decade.

While the Big 12 is arguably better this season as a conference, over both the long and short run the SEC outclasses it easily.

The ACC, not even in the back half of the conversation.

Hell Butch Davis plays "second fiddle" on his own campus.

Cutcliffe has no shot whatsoever.

The notion that UNC can hold a football coach away from a premium job is off base IMO.

Davis has already had far better jobs than UNC. Browns and the University of Miami.

If not Tennesse then he(Davis) will depart shortly for greener pastures much like Mack Brown did earlier.

No offense Anders!

For argument's sake thought I would come back and compile a list of jobs that would be considered on par or better than UT's.

By Conference:
PAC 10
Southern Cal
(No other program)

Big 12
Texas
Oklahoma
(That's it)

Big 10
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State

Big East
Nobody

ACC
Florida State
(That's it)

Misc
Notre Dame

SEC
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
LSU

So by my count 8 Schools Outside the Conference and 4 Inside.

By any objective count it's a top 10-15 Job in the Country.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why any head coach at a BCS school would want to jump into that pressure cooker where you can go 9-3, be ranked in the Top 20 and still only be the 5th best team in the conference.

I'm not sure how you can make that statement after making the statement below.

The Big XII is as good, if not better, than the SEC.

count Steve Spurrier out.

c&p AP at CNN/S.I.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Just imagine, 106,000 orange-clad Vols fans cheering for their beloved Tennessee. And trotting out to the sidelines under a neon visor, Tennessee coach Steve Spurrier.

It could have happened. South Carolina's head coach said so Monday night after practice, had the Vols job come open four years back when Spurrier had flopped in the NFL and looked to return to the college game.

Now, with Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer set to end his tenure, Spurrier says he'll only go back to Neyland Stadium as the opposing coach.

"This is going to be my last gig right here," the 63-year-old Spurrier said Monday night.

Speculation about Spurrier, who grew up in Johnson City, Tenn., pulling for U-T, taking over Tennessee had started on Internet message boards long before the Gamecocks placed the final straw on Fulmer's broken back, 27-6, this past Saturday night.

On Monday, Fulmer said he accepted the university's decision that he would not coach Tennessee after this season. He'll receive the $6 million buyout negotiated for the contract extension he received after last season.

"He's probably, 16, 17 years there, probably long enough," Spurrier said. "Wasn't working very well. I think everybody understands, when it starts going bad, they got to make changes. We all know that.

"Congratulate him on hitting that lottery ticket, that's a big ticket he got, a big one," Spurrier said, smiling.

Call it a barb at Fulmer's expense.

No one was better theater during the 1990s than Florida coach Spurrier. Fulmer was perhaps Spurrier's biggest foil, enraging Vols fans everywhere.

Spurrier famously quipped, "You can't spell Citrus without UT," when it was the Gators on top of the SEC and the Vols settling for seconds.

Spurrier won nine of his 13 games against Fulmer, including two of the four games they've played since Spurrier came to South Carolina.

Spurrier shot down the chance of him switching SEC Eastern Division clubs.

"No, no, no. They'll hire a guy that wants to stay 10, 15 years, which is probably what they should do, really," Spurrier said.

Spurrier's name has come up before in connection to high-profile jobs. In 2006, reports had Spurrier the top target of Miami and later that offseason, of Alabama.

When news broke of the Hurricanes' interest, Spurrier doubted it was true. "Who at Miami (said it), the president, the athletic director or some guy sleeping under the bridge down there?" he said.

Spurrier got a contract extension through 2012 worth about $1.75 million a year. Last month, South Carolina extended the contract of first-year defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson and Spurrier took the occasion to say he planned to stay at South Carolina for a while longer.

On that point, Spurrier's views haven't changed even if others find it hard to believe: He's wants to bring South Carolina an SEC championship.

As for Tennessee, Spurrier's certain it won't be long before it too is contending again. "Schools with tremendous tradition usually don't take too long to get back to the top," he said. "Who knows. It's a little different now with Florida and Georgia and so many teams are a lot better than they used to be from all over the conference."

I'll give you one reason why Butch Davis won't be leaving Carolina any time soon. The fact that he quit on Miami the year BEFORE they won the NC. And for what? To coach the Cleveland Browns? :rolleyes: Butch won't make the same mistake twice. He came to Carolina to build a winner and he's going to stay until he fufills his goal. Only a fool would quit in his 2nd year. How's that gonna look to recruits? HS kids need to know that coach will be there 4-5 years. If they don't believe the coach is commited they sign somewhere else.

I'll give you one reason why Butch Davis won't be leaving Carolina any time soon. The fact that he quit on Miami the year BEFORE they won the NC. And for what? To coach the Cleveland Browns? :rolleyes: Butch won't make the same mistake twice. He came to Carolina to build a winner and he's going to stay until he fufills his goal. Only a fool would quit in his 2nd year. How's that gonna look to recruits? HS kids need to know that coach will be there 4-5 years. If they don't believe the coach is commited they sign somewhere else.
Ok, you chided me for comparing Tennessee to Michigan (similar stadium size, fan support, recent success, etc.), but now you are comparing UNC to Miami??? With FSU and Miami on the rise and consistent teams like Virginia Tech still in the conference, I don't see UNC being on the national stage anytime soon. Heck, they may even win the ACC this year, but still not receive any national attention. Take the blinders off, anders. UNC will never be a football school. I don't think Davis will leave for Tennessee, but I agree with david1314 that if a premier job opens up a few years down the road, he's gone.

I go back to Rich Rod. He built a powerhouse at WVU and was one win away from a national championship and left for Michigan.

I find it hard to believe that even a North Carolina fan truely believes they can ever compete for the National Championship. Granted, they are much improved, but I think even if they were to win their conference, most people would put them in a class with the Boise States and TCU's of the world. They could never win playing in the SEC, Big Ten, or Big 12.

You have to face facts. When were talking Basketball, the Heels may have people shaking in their boots. But nobody will ever fear the football team.

Look I'm not saying that Butch stays at Carolina forever. What I am saying is that he's not going to bail on UNC so soon after arriving. He owes it to stay at least one full recruiting class, 5 years, or else he'll look like Bobby Petrino.

As for how good Carolina can be I wouldn't underestimate them. UNC was a top 10 program in the 90's under Mack Brown and they can get back to that level under Butch. They already are the most talented team in the ACC and that will only get better with time. I'd say that in a couple of years Carolina will have teams that would be the envy of anyone in the SEC.

Look I'm not saying that Butch stays at Carolina forever. What I am saying is that he's not going to bail on UNC so soon after arriving. He owes it to stay at least one full recruiting class, 5 years, or else he'll look like Bobby Petrino.

As for how good Carolina can be I wouldn't underestimate them. UNC was a top 10 program in the 90's under Mack Brown and they can get back to that level under Butch. They already are the most talented team in the ACC and that will only get better with time. I'd say that in a couple of years Carolina will have teams that would be the envy of anyone in the SEC.
:haha!sadroll:haha:eek:

anders, I really though you were a level-headed poster with just a little bit of a UNC-bias until I read that sentence.

Let's reverse this talk to basketball and use the same argument. UNC is one of the greatest programs ever. Tennessee is on the rise. They had some success in the past, had some few down years, now Bruce Pearl has them back as a consistent Sweet 16 team (even ranked #1 at one point last year). But I'm not going to say that Tennessee's basketball program is going to be the envy of everyone in the ACC, even given the fact that Pearl has the program on the rise.

I was somewhat in agreement with this post until I got to that last sentence. Now that's a dream that only someone with Tar Heel blood running through their veins would say.

But I'm not going to say that Tennessee's basketball program is going to be the envy of everyone in the ACC, even given the fact that Pearl has the program on the rise.
Why? That's not so ridiculous. The only programs in the ACC that are better than Tennessee right now are Carolina and dook. Schools like Maryland and Georgia Tech would kill to have what Tennessee has these days. The days of schools only being football or basketball programs are over my friend. Anyone who wants to win in either sport can now. Bruce Pearl didn't come to Knoxville to kiss Phil Fulmer's fat ass and Butch Davis didn't come to Carolina to live under Roy Williams' shadow forever either.

Here's my two cents on who Tennessee should hire........Mike Leach. Great coach and is in the unfortunate place of Lubbock. He has taken Texas Tech as far as he can being in the same division as Texas and Oklahoma. TT will never compete with those two schools consistantly. Texas and Oklahoma have the money and facilities to go with their record. Texas tech did just beat Texas but it's typcially once every six years and they still have OU to play. Leach is great but needs a bigger school to show what he can do with the money and facilities Tech cannot come up with.

Here's my two cents on who Tennessee should hire........Mike Leach. Great coach and is in the unfortunate place of Lubbock. He has taken Texas Tech as far as he can being in the same division as Texas and Oklahoma. TT will never compete with those two schools consistantly. Texas and Oklahoma have the money and facilities to go with their record. Texas tech did just beat Texas but it's typcially once every six years and they still have OU to play. Leach is great but needs a bigger school to show what he can do with the money and facilities Tech cannot come up with.
He is the one getting the most attention from talk radio today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)