Fun stuff to do w/ WildBlue Dish and getting started guide?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bluebomb

Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Hey guys, I just found out about free-to-air satellite and it sounds like a really cool hobby to get into. A while back I got my hands on a Wildblue setup for internet access and now (finally!) DSL access was extended to my residence and I no longer need my dish. I was wondering if anyone knew of something cool I could use this equipment for. Right now it's just stuck to the side of the house doing nothing.

Also, I'm really interested with getting into FTA and was hoping someone had a really good how-to beginners guide.

Thanks!

Your WildBlue dish has a KA-Band lnb, which I do not think there is any KA-Band FTA out there yet. What you need is a standard Ku-band lnb with a FTA receiver to pick up most FTA. You might be able to use your Wildblue dish with a "retro-fitted" ku lnb, but the dish needs to be at least 30" in diameter to receive good signal. I am not sure of the reflector size of the WildBlue dish, but someone else around here should know.

Yeah I don't think your going to get anything on the WB dish as is, as far FTA goes.

Keep the dish though... we don't know what they will be doing next!

Yes, I read in some thread somewhere, either here or on other boards that Directv or Dish Network uses Ka for some high definition stuff... and that on occassion they may forget to encrypt...

they have a torridoral type dish, it's got a reflector on the end with a mid mount LNB.

if You calculated focal point etc and fabricated a mount it'd work, but it's not worth the effort.

Yes, I read in some thread somewhere, either here or on other boards that Directv or Dish Network uses Ka for some high definition stuff... and that on occassion they may forget to encrypt...

DirecTV does but its MPEG4 and their encryption (DSS) not DVB :)

fold / spindle, but do not mutilate

The folded optics of the WildBlue dish are more common in Europe.
It's called Gregorian (or just "gregory", on some sites).

Putting just an LNB out front at the focal point isn't bad, but when you put a transmitter out there, the whole thing gets long 'n large.
Folding the optics makes it shorter (less ugly), and may lower wind resistance.
In other cases, you can reshape the sub-reflector, to correct mistakes in the main dish design. *
For pictures and specs on their 25x29 dish, see the WB site.

Personally, I feel gutting the dish to make a Ku band FTA dish out of it, would be like ripping the engine out of a VW, to make it into a pull-toy.

* ref: Six Meter NASA Test Antenna

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts