G-Box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
Another part of the changes taking place at my "farm" arrived when the brown truck stopped on Monday. The G-Box I ordered from Sadoun arrived. The next thing to do was to say a few words of praise over my General Instrument 4DTV DSR-920 and pull the plug for maybe the last time.:( That unit sure brought me some great TV over the years. Hooked up the "Box" and started to work on getting it to move the SG9120B on the PrimeStar and the Thomson-Saginaw actuator on the BUD. Got it working just great. Interesting not to have to change channels on the S9 and then sats on the 920. Next phase will be to build a mount for the 1.2M Prodelin I got from Pixl and a good motor and have that for my Ku dish. Converted the BUD to C only that other day.
Strange thing with that box the G-Box came in. I have had outer boxes damaged in shipping, lost boxes, and some delivered to the wrong address down the road. This one was really different. Without ANY damage to any of the cardboard boxes, I wonder how I managed to have a 2-pack of batteries that were half crushed in the box? I wonder where that G-Box had been??:rolleyes: Oh, well, it is working fine, so no big deal. So far it looks like it will be a useful device. It sure takes up less space than the 920.

RT.

I sure like my GBox.(and C2) 1 less remote(but still too many. DVR, VCR, OTA converter for the 6 PBS channels fed to the rest of the house, TVx2, S9)
Brown is getting better.[I think] My C2 box, a couple of weeks ago, was also scar free. Not that long ago, that was not usually the case. Crushed batteries, Think the Shipping Dept. tossed 'em in there, in that condition, being they were out of Jolly Ranchers?.lol

The best part of the GBOX over the VBox is the naming feature where you can name the satellite. The bad part is if you mistakenly put in an extra letter you cannot erase it. Im not a fan of the double counting gimmick.

Joe

Have any of you had any luck with the accuracy of the vbox and gboxes?

My analog c band receiver seems a lot more accurate needing a lot less resyncing of positions.

The GBox always stops on the correct "number". But may not be 'right on' because I'm losing a pulse here and there with the 20+ year old reed switch. I'm fairly certain, it's exceeded it's rated lifetime.
The analog MAY process 'bouncing contacts' better.

my problem with the gbox is the polar mount is too light for the 8' dish. it was built for a 6' sadoun dish but i didn't know the dish came with the polar mount and i ordered an extra one by mistake. i need to weld some more metal in a couple of places to stiffen it up. it doesn't get too far off if the wind is quiet though. i see 55w to 137w so it gets to travel a lot. i do like the gbox. charlie

Those green batteries from China that come with everything these days will only work a few days. No real loss.
Oh, No, They are high quality batts from the Guangdong batt Co in GuangZhou Mingu, from February of 2005.:rolleyes:

Have any of you had any luck with the accuracy of the vbox and gboxes?

My analog c band receiver seems a lot more accurate needing a lot less resyncing of positions.
Not sure just yet. But I have had to make some "adjustments" so far. Maybe that will "settle down" with time. I hope so.
The DSR 920, that this replaced, was 99.9999999% of the time right on and NEVER had to be adjusted. It was dead on ALL the time.

RT.

Not sure just yet. But I have had to make some "adjustments" so far. Maybe that will "settle down" with time. I hope so.
The DSR 920, that this replaced, was 99.9999999% of the time right on and NEVER had to be adjusted. It was dead on ALL the time.RT.

Uh oh. Mine does that too. I just thought it was play in the actuator. Never thought about the box.

Im not a fan of the double counting gimmick.

Joe

X2 on this one.

I use Vbox X controllers and I modified a VonWeise arm on my Winegard dish back a year or two ago to do 10 counts per rev instead of 8 and I see zero benefit from that. That system has almost 1000 counts from 139W to 37.5 W. In the middle of the arc I'm getting around 20 counts between satellites but on the SAMI dish I have with a SuperJack mover I'm only getting 11 counts between satellites and I've been able to zero in on all the same satellites on both systems without any problems that I'm aware of. That SAMI gets 520 counts between 139W and 37.5W and uses a Vbox X also. Sometimes more isn't necessarily better IMHO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts