G10R is gone, but why?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Das Hammer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Too close to Ohio
Since it looks like work is cancelled tomorrow because of the blizzard, I was thinking about wandering out to the dish area (with my shovel...heck, maybe I'll have to plow a path out to the dish with the tractor) and tweak out the 1.2 meter (again). Tonight, I've found out that I have apparently just lost G10R all together, not just the Equity muxes, but all of it. Was using USALS, and it was a little off when I got down to 123W (G10R). I knew it was a little off, hence my proposed trip outside tomorrow; however, now it is gone. Can't find it even using Diseqc 1.2. The sig bounces around 35-40% and quality is 0-3%.

Hmmm. I still get everything on Galaxy25 at 97W, and I can go over to Echo(4?) at 129W and get good quality reading on the TP's over there (using diseqc 1.2 because USALS was a little off).

I've also never been able to get anything east of Echo3 at 61.5 either. I can get the free info channel on echo 3 (not that I watch it, just to confirm I was aimed well), but nothing east of there. I used to be able to get the channels on Hispasat at 30W with the primestar oval, but ever since the 1.2 came along....nada.

So, I've said all of the above to ask you this. Since I'm at roughly 84.5W and my troubles seem to start towards the edges of my visible arc, what should I adjust first? The inclination? The rotation of the motor on the pole? I have to bump the motor back towards the east when I'm at 129W to get optimal quality readings, so perhaps that is telling me to rotate the motor on the pole counter-clockwise. But, since I've never found anything east of echo3, I can't confirm that is the case.

Das,

As one who has benefited from your advise, may I return the favor or at least agonize with you? All things considered the equipment inside the house should be ok. Outside maybe not. Most likely basic alignment. I would approach it as a new install. Mast vertical, motor dish aligned to true South, motor mount set to latitude. dish correction (deflection) correct for latitude. You had it set correctly before; it has to be close (to be honest with all your snow it sounds as if the dish has deflected down slightly). Max signal southern most satellite and proceed from there. You have much more experience than I. I understand your distress at this unfortunate event. I know that you already have started on this. Sometime a sympathetic ear keep the ahhh sh----- gooohhhd da-----t from reaching the kid's ears.

plimzol

Das,

As one who has benefited from your advise, may I return the favor or at least agonize with you? All things considered the equipment inside the house should be ok. Outside maybe not. Most likely basic alignment. I would approach it as a new install. Mast vertical, motor dish aligned to true South, motor mount set to latitude. dish correction (deflection) correct for latitude. You had it set correctly before; it has to be close (to be honest with all your snow it sounds as if the dish has deflected down slightly). Max signal southern most satellite and proceed from there. You have much more experience than I. I understand your distress at this unfortunate event. I know that you already have started on this. Sometime a sympathetic ear keep the ahhh sh----- gooohhhd da-----t from reaching the kid's ears.

plimzol

I agree we had heavy ice and snow in my area. so i lost my signal on G10r. i cleared the ice and snow off my dish but stll had thin ice on the dish surface that equal weight which pull the dish down. but still had no Sq on G10r so i raised my dish a tad up and bingo i got G10r back with a good Sq. once the ice melts i will need to reverse the process but all is aok now. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)