G10r

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dogstar1313

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Tennessee
Is it possible to get a good quality signal from G10R using a Winegard 76cm dish with a .3 Invacom LNB? I think I already know what the answer is (no), but I wanted to run it by the experts to be sure.

Thanks for bearing with me and my noobness.

I am SURE it is, the Winegard 30" dish is great (IMO) it works better than many slightly bigger Dish. And I guess you know I would give the Invacom 0.3 a FIRM thumbs up, they don't get much better!

I have a Winegard 30" dish and an Invacom .3 LNB and have no problems whatsoever with quality on G10.

Wow!! I didn't expect that.

Is it true that G10R is one of the weaker birds up there?
Is there anything that I might not be able to pick up with a Winegard 76cm and a .3 LNB?
I'm still agonizing over what equipment to purchase and if I could get buy with a 76cm dish and still have good signal quality that would be great.

Sounds like a great starter kit, of course its always better with as big a dish as possible but this set up will work for 98% of the signals 98% of the time! Being so far south the Winegard/iNVACOM combo should perform GREAT!

I have a 30" dish/motor/0.3 lnb and get about 45% Quality on The Tube with my Ultra. A few days ago I put up a fixed 40" Primestar dish with original single output lnb, connected to my Lifetime, and now get 95% Quality on The Tube. Almost unbelievable, and it's pointing through a tree with the leaves beginning to fall. I'm thinking of cutting the tree. But WOW! a lot better than I expected.

I have a 30 inch Winegard and get good reception on G10. Some days it cuts out on the weaker TPs in the afternoon only. I could probably adjust it but I have it setup for best reception on other birds such as IA6. I think you would like the dish-it's easy to work with for a first-timer too.

G10 is alluding me. I've got 9 other satellites logged in. When I turn to 123W with USALS on my Fortec Ultra, I can't get a thing. I switched to another transponder frequency, and suddenly there is a strong signal. I ran a scan and only logged one channel. When I viewed the channel it was a "Dishnet at 121W" screen???? What the heck. All the other birds are bang on with the USALS so far. Any ideas? I tried switching to 1.2 and using the nudge east and west and still got nothing. I also tried entering 123.5, 124, 124.5, 125, 125.5 and nothing.

Thanks for the info guys. What could I expect in terms of rain fade with a 76cm dish? What birds/transponders would I most likely not be able to see on a clear day? I'm wondering what I would be missing and if it would be worth investing in a 90cm dish to get it or to reduce any rain fade issues.

I only have rain fade issues with heavy rain such as when the remnants of Katrina moved through some time ago. Normal precipitation doesn't pose a problem. Cloud cover has not been an issue at all.

That's great Tracy! Are there any birds you can't get or get with only marginal quality (i.e. bad picture)? The Winegard 76 is sounding better all the time . . .

As I mentioned I have issues with G10 on some TPs part of the time. I also have issues with SBS 6, but I think that is tree-related. Other than that I get everything from Hispasat at 30 to Echostar at 148. Of course, with digital you get the picture or you don't-no "snow" or anything like that.

I think I'm going to give the Winegard 76 with the Invacom LNB a shot. It sounds like it is a great combination. Thanks guys for all your help!

There are a few channels on G10, a cbs, abc, and nbc, that I can't really pickup. The quality meter is constantly spiking about every second, going from 80% to 0, and back and forth. Are these just weak transponders, or do I have pointing problem. I have over 90% quality on my true south satellite. Would I have better overall signal on other satellites if I compromised some of the signal on my true south?

Motor over to G10R then go out and pull on the dish some! Up down left and right, watch the signal meter. If you see the quality change then you may have a pointing problem. If it does not change then you are OK, the above channels were VERY weak for me last night also! Maybe a storm going through at that end.

I would not off set my true south satellite at all, use 1.2 DiSEqC to fine tune then number and store the position of G10R.

No with 1.2 you have to motor over until you see signal quality on an active transponder, then number and store.

Right, but if I store its position in 1.2 mode, does the motor still move automatically when I switch to G10 from say......IA8?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts