Status
Please reply by conversation.

gabshere

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Rison , Arkansas
Ok where to start :D

Got offered a Birdview from Skewed down in Lousianna (way down lol ) almost to the coast. setup a pickup date and drove down , the drive took about 6 hours ( thats about what we thought made a little better time maybe). Meet Skewed , he gave instructions to his house and left his cell phone #. the directions were spot on, but he called me when i was probably 5 miles from his house , checking on me. We got to his house and took some pictures and talked , started to take out some bolts and talked. Before you know it Stogie5150 called on his cell phone he was about 15 miles away.

We continued to take bolts out and spray PB Blaster on them. Stogie arrived when we had all the bolts on holding the dish to the motor mount off ( ok almost all) two were spinning without comming out , one was broke off and another was 2/3 of the way out when it started spinning.

Stogie told me that some of the bolts would do this and he was right. so we cut the three bolts that wouldn't come out and talked a bit about SatGuys and everything. We discussed the bolts, even found a solution ( i don't know the cost but will have to check since i'm missing four bolts on the mount 2 upper & 2 lower)Skewed mentioned that they made a gun like a rivit gun that presses a sleeve/nut into a hole like this and should work for our purpose. (sounded good maybe a solution for this problem). :eureka

Ok we got everything undone, and here was where having someone who had done it before helps, Stogie jumped right on the main bolts that hold the motor on the cap. and then removed the center cap bolt. after that we started building the cradle to hold the dish ( and i had already cut several boards to speed this process up a bit). I will detail the cradle in another post and make a parts list for it. Its a simple design that worked for Stogie and it worked well for me.

so we got the dish loaded and strapped down loaded the motor and all other pieces. strapped everything into place and was ready to depart. So from about 10:30 til 2 to get everything loaded up and done thats not bad.

I do want to thank Skewed for the dish plus he took off work and helped on everything. I also want to thank Stogie 5150 for taking time out of his day to come over and help , it sure help cut the time down having someone who has done it before :)

I didn't mention it to the guys but after having my heart attack and being put on a bunch of meds i haven't felt 100% the most i've regained is probably 80%
i take two kinds of cholesterol meds and they seem to zap your energy level . plus i'm on two blood pressure meds ( one to lower my BP and another to slow my heart down a bit) and those kinda slow you down and make you sluggish.

So i know at times yesterday even though i didn't feel bad it seemed like i wasn't much help :eek: lol but i do thank those guys . you couldn't meet a nicer pair of folks. :hatsoff:
I'll post some pics :up

EDIT : added a link in my sig to my gallery those are some higher res pics i will post some here that are a bit smaller

Attachments

• DSCF4903.JPG
    DSCF4903.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF4912.JPG
    DSCF4912.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF4935.JPG
    DSCF4935.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF4930.JPG
    DSCF4930.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF4928.JPG
    DSCF4928.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCF4923.JPG
    DSCF4923.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF4922.JPG
    DSCF4922.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF4918.JPG
    DSCF4918.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF4914.JPG
    DSCF4914.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF4905.JPG
    DSCF4905.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF4936.JPG
    DSCF4936.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF4925.JPG
    DSCF4925.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF4917.JPG
    DSCF4917.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF4945.JPG
    DSCF4945.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF4929.JPG
    DSCF4929.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF4932.JPG
    DSCF4932.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF4931.JPG
    DSCF4931.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF4943.JPG
    DSCF4943.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF4944.JPG
    DSCF4944.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF4913.JPG
    DSCF4913.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Congrats on your new dish, and kudos to Skewed and Stogie, another testament to how cool this forum is! :cool:

Looking forward to your pics and watching your project progress. :)

Great job George!!!

I'll look forward to the pictures.

Also to Stogie and Skewed for their help!!

Welcome to the United Brotherhood of Birdview dish owners. :)

Now if we could just get an update from Phlatwound. :cool:

George, if you need some help, let me know - I may be able to get over there on a weekend.
If I can't, I can't, but I'll be more than glad to help when I can.

So good to see another of these great Birdview dishes saved. Since i got it up and set up. mine has been a joy to play with. It seems like if I can see the satellite location in the sky, my BV can grab the signal. The motor gets it there quick and accurately

Like other guys, I don't have the latest and greatest set up either.-- voltage controlled BSC lnb, for example.

This is entirely without S=2 or 4.2.2.

I'd go slow on the install to get it right.

I hope all of these dishes are saved.

I have 2 more for sures to go and get, but one I will keep for myself. I really caint wait to set it up and now I even more excited to see that stogie is such a great person and he lives pretty close so I can go by and see what he has done. I will plan taking another one down in another few weeks if someone wants that one. The next person is begging me to get it out of there yard so that one has to be next. Gabshere's dish was at a school that was about to be bulldozed the next week so that one had to be first on the list to get. I was really woried about my southern view but gabshere and stogie both felt like my limited locations would work.

Gabshere and stogie it has been a real honor meeting both of you. I am sure I found 2 new friends for life.

my yard is so wet , that it will delay me putting it right up could be a mounth or two, but that will give me time to clean it up and check into some modifications.

14karat said:
George, if you need some help, let me know - I may be able to get over there on a weekend.
If I can't, I can't, but I'll be more than glad to help when I can.

since i'm delayed i shouldn't need any help except about 150,000 questions to linuxman & stogie :D

but if you decide to get a birdview, i'll try to help out anyway i can ... I think they are worth it :)

Congratulations George! Thanks for the pictures, always nice to see pictures. It would only have been nicer, if you had dropped it off in Georgia on your way home....
I'm thinking hard about taking Skewed up on his next offer? But, that sure is a long way to travel one way, from here? Decisions Decisions......???

I have 2 more for sures to go and get, but one I will keep for myself. I really caint wait to set it up and now I even more excited to see that stogie is such a great person and he lives pretty close so I can go by and see what he has done.

You know, you could bring the other Birdview and stuff with you when you come to see me....I wouldn't mind at all..... :)...you have that nice diesel truck and all...LOL...shame to come over here empty....LOL...:D

I was really woried about my southern view but gabshere and stogie both felt like my limited locations would work.

He won't see the whole arc, but we think he will see a good portion...the main part...

Gabshere and stogie it has been a real honor meeting both of you. I am sure I found 2 new friends for life.

Honor was all mine, Brother T. Its been said that no Cajun is without a friend if another Cajun is near. :up

...and that Gabshere guy was pretty neat too..we just gonna have to get him some purple and gold if he wants to hang out with us anymore....;)

lsu-2007-champs.jpg

It would be fun to get together with gabshere for a LSU vs ARK game!! I just hope you dont tell anyone you saw I have a purple and gold sofa with tiger paws on it!!!LOL
Go Tigers!

Great find George, beautiful dish, and its great to have friends to help in this forum. Is that you on the right hand side of the pictures of the 2 gentlemen?

Great find George, beautiful dish, and its great to have friends to help in this forum. Is that you on the right hand side of the pictures of the 2 gentlemen?

Nope, right hand side, with the cap on, is ME. ;) You'd know it was me, normally, but George wouldn't let me stop long enough to get my trademark cigar....I tell ya he's a slavedriver....:cool:

I took a few pics....nothing new here...

Attachments

• IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    612.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    787 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1812.JPG
    IMG_1812.JPG
    992 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    393 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    783.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    919.8 KB · Views: 126
.......Now if we could just get an update from Phlatwound. :cool:

Not much to report, except I did successfully install Helicoils in the 2 stripped dish mounting holes.

Still thinking on where to set the pole.....and digging it. :(

I see that you guys left the feed support arms on, probably a good idea the way the steel nuts looked on those aluminum support arms.

George, if you are going to modify your scalar for a CoRotor, you might check my thread for how I enlarged the center hole, it worked real well. There are some threaded holes already in the scalar that can be used to retain your new feed with.

I see that you guys left the feed support arms on, probably a good idea the way the steel nuts looked on those aluminum support arms.

If you really want those nuts off (I would), there's a device called a "Nut Cracker"

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Cracker-Splitter-Buster-C-FRAME/dp/B000J47UL4]Amazon.com: Professional Nut Cracker / Splitter/ Buster C-FRAME: Home Improvement[/ame]

that you can use to split those nuts and get them off. Then just clean up the threads with a chaser and voi-la

Probably get one on fleabay for cheap

Another style
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nut-Splitter-Tool-Set-Piece/dp/B0000AX88Q/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b"]Amazon.com: Nut Splitter Tool Set - 2 Piece: Home Improvement[/ame]

Last edited:
There's another technique for getting steel and aluminum separated, but it's a little nasty. I used to use this when I broke a tap off in a valuable aluminum part or when I wanted to "shrink" a drill.

Get some Sulfuric acid (H2SO4). It used to be you could get it from an auto parts store (battery acid). Use it like Liquid Wrench. It will eat the steel. It will eat the aluminum too but at a much much much slower rate. It will eat your cloths and your hands too so be extremely careful. Let it set for a day or so. Water will dilute it away (like with a garden hose) You might want to use a glass eyedropper to put a drop between the aluminum threads and the nut.

Be careful

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts