Galaxy 10R

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thetractorking

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Beaumont TX
I was sorting out my channels, and comparing Lyngsat with the list on gosatellite.com.
Found I was missing everything from transponder 1 on Galaxy 10R (123W).
Any suggestions?

P.S......
I tried to add the transponder on the "edit" list (CaptiveWorks 600S Premium), and then autoscanned, then blindscanned, and ---still got everything else, but not tp 1.

11720 is a bugger to get. Do you get any quality when you do a manual scan? Maybe the symbol rate is wrong?

11720 freq
V polarity
27692 symbol rate

That's exactly what I entered, and nothing. I get the rest of the satellite just fine.
I'm getting 48 quality and 85 strength.

I remember when I am on G10R.. I am able to get 11720 without any problems only when used fixed dish.. Until I added motor, I will not be able to get 11720.. Very low quality/strength.. :( Anybody else having this same problem?

Usually you get a BETTER signal when you using a motor as the WHOLE dish skews/tilts (And lines up exactly with the satellite in space) instead of just the LNB!

I would re-check all your angles and make sure the pole is level, taking into account the weight of the dish/motor.

Well, I did.. Everything is PERFECT level.. The latitude is perfect and also, elevation too. Unfortunately, it doesn't work very good... :( And the rest of other TP is working great and highest signal I ever had but 11720.. I'm kinda disappointed cuz I'd like to watch NY Yankees sometimes on WNGS. Since I'm diehard of NY Yankees. :)

Last trick in the bag is to flex the dish slightly while watching the signal quality, some times you can squeeze some more signal from the dish this way!

I put my knee on the dish mast and pull back on each side of the dish slightly it sometimes makes a BIG difference!

How good a cable run do you have ? The reason I ask, is that when I started out, I had several sets of connectors in the cable run, and I was getting a substantial signal loss through the cable. It was so bad that when I increased my LNB voltage from the receiver to 14-19 volts, I got a substantial improvment in signal. That fact spurred me into running new cable over the most direct route, eliminating several barrel splices and going back to the 13-18 volt range from the receiver. I'm in Michigan with a 80cm Fortec dish, and 11720 is just useable . It's the only transponder on any NA bird that I've had to "fine tune" the positioning with Diseqc 1.2 mode on the motor.

:)

I got a 76 cm on an SG2100 in Missouri, and it works most the time here... (minus some rain fade now and then). Putting it on the motor actually helped for me since it lines it up perfect. Please note, I did spend a lot of time tweaking the dish after the motor was on so that it picked up the arc perfectly... MAKE SURE that your pole is plumb if you use a motor. That can throw things off with a motor on the outer edges of the arc. Also, take a lot of time and align for both east and west birds when tweaking as well as G10 and your true south. Usually, I focus on one bolt at a time after getting the main part of the motor lined up... slowly raising dish and lowering it, moving just east and west by nudging dish or lnb by hand to pull it in good before going all auto with the motor from inside... climbed up and down that ladder a good 20-30 times last Sunday... ended up thinking all was well with the little tv ouside, then would go inside, see that I had a 15% or lower signal on a certain bird, and would go back up to the roof and tweak some more... then check the other parts of arc to make sure all was still ok... it is time consuming, but well worth it if you take the time to do it right.

ALSO, be darn sure to tweak both your elevation AND your east west by nudging by hand ever so slightly on the lnb and or dish itself... G10 is weak signal. Try to tweak for the weakest signals after you get the higher quality signals. Sometimes one mm up, down, east, or west or even a change by half a degree in your skew can make all the difference.

Save your tweaking days for a nice day that you have all day off, and no one else is around. I used a Sunday when my wife was at work. I thought I was done after two hours, then found the pole wasn't plumb as I thought it was as I had nudged it down a little with my weight on accident... tweaked that, then went after true south again... then focused on g10.. then on the bird that has ONN, then on other birds here and there... I'd basically work for about an hour or two on the roof, with the tv up there, tweak til things were better, then go to the living room, move using Usals to a different satellite, go up to roof and tweak, and do that all day for many, many hours... then then once I got everything nice as I could, I'd go to living room and tweak from inside by moving .1 degrees east or west, changing usals from stuff like 123.0 to 123.1, 123.2, 122.9, etc., all the while looking at signal quality.

One thing that I noticed in doing all of this with the new motor (since the old one bit the dust) is that the old motor's azimuth slider thingy hung looser than the newer one... is that normal wear and tear or something else that I should be concerned about trying to stop on the new motor? 76 cm shouldn't be too heavy to put wear and tear on a sg2100 I think.

After all the tweaking, G10's weaker signals are near 30%... without doing an awful lot of tweaking, and before I had this new motor, I was lucky to get 15% on a clear day on the weaker tps on g10.

One thing that I have found, that's a bit awkward, is that sometimes my motor will line up better moving one a certain direction, either east or west... not sure why unless maybe it has to do with something in the motor itself... so for instance, if I hit White Springs from one direction, it'll seem to come in quicker and with better signal (just a smidge better?) than if I go the other way.

I have my satellites lined up (thanks to channel master) from West to East, so it takes less time to move between satellites as it's a shorter route for the motor to move. That helps some. I think some day I may tweak even more in that channel list and get it so that it's a full loop instead of just east to west, so that when you go from channel 1 to the highest channel on there it's the next satellite over instead of all the way at the other end of the arc... not sure how I'd do that, but doesn't seem like it'd be too hard... maybe just take all that I've got now and spit it in half by satellite and realign the numberings... but since I have them named like "123 G10R" that could be tricky since I'd have to rename by new weird numbers since Pansat lines satellites when you sort by satellite alphabetically, with numbers too, so 123 is in front of 96 but not in front of 096...

Last edited:
Well, I did some research last night on the Intelsat website, no real help there (but I like the looks of their new website).
I went to manual scan, and honestly can't tell you what I did, but now I have transponder 1. So...who knows?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)