Galaxy 11 to Galaxy 17?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
It looks like Galaxy 17 has arrived at 91 degrees West. Does anyone know when the switch from Galaxy 11 to Galaxy 17 will occur?

Will I Have to Re-program?

When this happens will I have to rescan 91W or will the channels from Galaxy 11 still work from the new satellite?

You shouldn't notice or see any difference. Unless the signal gets noticeably better or noticeably worse, everything should be the same. The only real difference will be when someone mentions G17 and you wonder what they're talking about, or you mention G11 and some others don't know what you're talking about?

Edit: so you won't have to reprogram it, but then again you could/might want to re-program the Name, and change it to Galaxy 17 or G17..???

or a combination, like G11/G17

Last edited:
Glad to hear that. If they have made the switch I think the signal is a lot better now.

I haven't watched FTA for quite a while. I just got back to it and it does seem like 91W has a stronger signal than what I remember because it's in the 60's now. That's a high reading for me on linear signals.

The only real difference will be when someone mentions G17 and you wonder what they're talking about

The first location that comes to mind when I hear G17 is still 74 Degrees West :(

The switch has taken place, I have not scanned the Ku band to see if there are any improvements, but on the C-Band side I can now pick up 15 transponders / 75 channels vs. 1 transponder / 19 channels (Some are encrypted :() with my 1.2 Meter Dish. :clap

Here in California the ku signals on Galaxy 17 are much stronger than they were on Galaxy 11. I'm happy now.:)

I just checked and I have an outrageous signal on the encrypted Reuters News signal...one of the highest I have even seen on this receiver...

...but on the C-Band side I can now pick up 15 transponders / 75 channels vs. 1 transponder / 19 channels (Some are encrypted :() with my 1.2 Meter Dish. :clap

The new bird has the new higher-powered C-band transponders installed on it.
I don't think G11 was recent enough to have these new transponders.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts